Glanza Driveshaft......

Hello Guys,

Really appreciate any help anybody can offer me on here. I bought a Glanza on Saturday just gone and yesterday I hit a pot hole very hard in the dark and the drive shaft is now hanging from beneath the car.... I am no mechanic but it is on the passengers side and it has come disconnected on the side nearest to the engine. Will I need to purchase a complete drive shaft? and if so could anybody recommend where I would be able to pick one up from? Struggling to find any online at present...

Thanks in advance    

Brett 

Thanks for your reply appreciate any help you can offer me. I will attach some photos of whats happened so you can see. All I can remember is an extremey loud bang then no drive... luckily it happend 50 metres away from my flat so just about rolled to a stop outside. 

Thanks 

Here's a few pictures of the aftermath. Could it have done more damage? I was a very loud bang just hoping its not to serious. Its not running an LSD but is running a fair amount of power so not sure if that's linked to this. Pretty sure it was just hitting the bump very hard in the dark. Will check out the facebook pages, thanks for the info.

Thanks.

See I know nothing of the part of the drive train, but this is why I wanted an image.

Those spiders are pressed it seriously hard. By the looks of it, the spider, whilst now unusable, is still intact. 

So if that's still intact. then it would have been the thing that is held in by that broke, not the driveshaft. Although you will want a new spider. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like a thing that simply happens overnight. There probably would have been some sort of knocking noise or play before this occurred. You can see from the state of the lower arms that the suspension units need attention, so it could have been just neglect that has led this failure. I would concede wear and tear but this seems extreme.

I guess your best bet is to get it jacked up, wheels and hubs off to investigate.

If you can do the investigation yourself, you can figure out what has failed, and thus save yourself time/money having someone else do it.

Are you sure they are pressed in? As far as I know the spiders are only held in the cup by the rubber and they cannot come out unless you take off the hub or cross arms? I used to pull them out and push them back in all the time when I would remove and install an engine. I would leave the cups in the gearbox to save the hassle of draining the gearbox oil

But still, only way for them to come out in a moving car that I could think of is a broken cup, or something else is broken/loose, or the drive shaft must have been at an extreme angle, perhaps the car is lowered?

Edited by maerijn

Thanks for your input lads. I felt at a lost end yesterday. The car is very low on D2 coilovers which are solid so you feel every single bump in the road but I am planning on raising it a little. The car is being trailered to a garage on Sunday so he can have a look into what needs to be done to get her back up and running. How easyily do you guys find replacement parts for these? 

The grease looks emulsified so I would say the boot has been split for awhile and waters been in there but that doesn't explain why the shaft came out of the cup. I agree with what maerijn suggested as to why it it happened. Also looks like the drop link is bent. Post up a wanted thread for a driveshaft, someone should have one lying around.

There might be wrong drivesaft, I just changed to my "new" EP70 Starlet drivesaft, old Corolla was popping out same way, it is too short. Previous owner had changed wheelhubs from EE90 Corolla and that why used bigger bore outer joint drivesaft, fail.