Steering column bearing

Hey guys,

So I've had my MOT and one of my advisories was I have a loose bearing in my steering column.  I have no idea how to get to that though? take the whole wheel off? and do I just tighten it or am I gonna have to replace the bearing? any insight is appreciated peep!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard of a loose bearing in the steering column. 

Its a simple steering rack with a track rod arm in each side. 

The steering rack is also pretty simple with one knuckle joint. 

The only thing i can think of is a “wheel bearing” which is common amongst starlets because of the age of them now.

the wheel bearing are pressed into the hub. They can be replaced, but sometimes its easier just to get a second hand hub with a good wheel bearing.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018‎ ‎21‎:‎41‎:‎19, 5T4R7ET N/A said:

I have never heard of a loose bearing in the steering column. 

Its a simple steering rack with a track rod arm in each side. 

The steering rack is also pretty simple with one knuckle joint. 

The only thing i can think of is a “wheel bearing” which is common amongst starlets because of the age of them now.

the wheel bearing are pressed into the hub. They can be replaced, but sometimes its easier just to get a second hand hub with a good wheel bearing.

Hi Mate, thanks for your reply. Well I haven't heard of one either but I'm still learning so I thought maybe I was being dull. I don't think the meant wheel bearing only because I had to have that changed as well so on the MOT form it had wheel bearing and then underneath just said "steering column bearing loose." my steering has quite a bit of play in it so I'm guessing that's what they're referring too. Any idea what could be the cause of that?

thanks for your help mate. Really appriciated

6 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

GGLSHUH.jpg

The bearing they're probably referring to is the one above my calipers there.

I wouldn't have thought that is serviceable, not even sure how one damages that bearing.

It does look like it's locked in with some type of circlip, and the parts diagram show it can be disassembled. 

Nice one Calum! I don't know how this happened it's something I've noticed since I bought the car. Hmmmm not sure how I'm gonna sort this one. Thanks though mate this is really helpful

32 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Well for starters, dismantle the column from the car. And just have a look at what is giving play, I doubt it's the bearing, probably something has come loose. Either way you're talking an hour MAX to dismantle investigate and reassemble with minimal tools.

mate if I could send a beer your way I would! cheers pal i'll tackle that this weekend and see what the crac is