Engine oil sucked through turbo.

Hello all, bit of a story here so please bare with me. I changed the oil on the glanza and whilst topping up through the filler cap I managed to drop a 10 litre bottle all over the engine bay. And surrounding walls etc. I cleaned as much as I could of it up straight away but I stupidly failed to notice its all over the bottom of the air filter. Driving to work today got on boost and at around  .2 bar the turbo screeched and I lost all power. Foot to the floor and the car doesn't move. Just wondering what potential damage this could of done and what's best to do next.  I've taken the intake pipe of to clean and il bin the filter but does the turbo need to come off for rebuilding etc?. Sorry for the essay.

Cheers

James

Edited by JamesD89

Screeching turbo sounds like an inbalance which would mean a worn turbo (bearings gone, no oil?). When the turbo is worn it can jam and block the inlet and reduce power. Did you fill it up to the correct level to begin with? 

Edit: take of your air filter and check for any play on the compressor wheel 

Edited by maerijn

I wouldn't risk driving it at all if I were in your shoes pal..

Take intercooler off and give it a good thorough clean, remove all oil out of it, then do a compression check on all cylinders mate.

If you want peace of mind, remove and rebuild turbo and replace intercooler/piping. Also check your intake manifold, injectors etc,

If your unsure where to rebuild turbo, I've had my CT9 hybrid turbo rebuilt at Midland Turbo, and can vouch for them. They do high quality work on short lead times.

Oil getting in the inlet would just be burned in the combustion process.  So shouldn't do too much damage in that respect unless it was sucking in huge amounts.

I doubt it would be loads if was coming through a filter.

How do you know it was the turbo that screeched?

Sure it wasn't a belt?  (Cam/alternator etc...)  Did you clean under the cambelt cover?

Oil may have caked a sensor somewhere in the inlet or you may have disturbed a sensor in the bay when cleaning.  This could cause power loss.