Hi,

I finally fitted my boost controller in and set it up at 0.8 bar boost on high boost and 0.4 on low boost on a td04 with standard ecu.

I wanted to know if the boost is coming in right.

I can hear the turbo spooling between 3000rpm to 4000rpm but its doesn’t seem like its giving the full boost that it sounds like till after 5000rpm I can feel it pushing me back.

Once its hit 5000 i can feel the boost but seems more like engine power.

Edited by Nilz90

Thanks mate I'll leave it on the high boost setting at 0.8 then. Do you think it's boosting right for how i described it above for a td04 on standard ecu at 0.8. When should the boost kick in?

Haven't driven a starlet before I got this one and it was always set to 0.3 previously so just want to make sure it is boosting right before I map it in a couple of months.

3 hours ago, Nilz90 said:

Thanks mate I'll leave it on the high boost setting at 0.8 then. Do you think it's boosting right for how i described it above for a td04 on standard ecu at 0.8. When should the boost kick in?

Haven't driven a starlet before I got this one and it was always set to 0.3 previously so just want to make sure it is boosting right before I map it in a couple of months.

Does your boost controller not display your current boost? If not I would get a boost gauge. With TD04 you should be seeing 0.8bar by 4000rpm.

If i was you i would take the car to a dyno and do a power run just to double check the fueling with a wideband and get them to hook up a knock sensor as well. That way you'll know how safe your car is running and also if there are any problems with power etc

3 hours ago, Patches said:

Does your boost controller not display your current boost? If not I would get a boost gauge. With TD04 you should be seeing 0.8bar by 4000rpm.

If i was you i would take the car to a dyno and do a power run just to double check the fueling with a wideband and get them to hook up a knock sensor as well. That way you'll know how safe your car is running and also if there are any problems with power etc

Its a electronic boost controller with manual knobs. I have a boost gauge already. 

It hits 0.8 at 4000rpm what is meant to happen after that? Am i meant to get some lag and then the turbo kicks in again at 0.8 bar boost?

It seems like the turbos kicking in twice in one gear. First time kicking in 0.8 bar boost with 4000rpm and then lag and then turbo kicking in again.

3 hours ago, Patches said:

Once it hits your target boost pressure (0.8bar) it should hold it there.

What kind of boost controller are you using?

I'm using a electronic boost controller - Greddy Profec Type S. It has a gain, low and high knobs.

The way I connected it was COM - into the actuator NO - into the turbo and I made a T with the standard fuel pressure regulator with the hose that runs to the main unit.

When i got the car it was unplugged and the car was on 0.3 bar boost.

Do you think I need to adjust the actuator?

57 minutes ago, Nilz90 said:

I'm using a electronic boost controller - Greddy Profec Type S. It has a gain, low and high knobs.

The way I connected it was COM - into the actuator NO - into the turbo and I made a T with the standard fuel pressure regulator with the hose that runs to the main unit.

When i got the car it was unplugged and the car was on 0.3 bar boost.

Do you think I need to adjust the actuator?

If its hitting 0.8bar, dropping and then going back to 0.8bar i wouldn't touch the actuator. 

It sounds like an issue with what the gain is set to. Below is the guide, theres troubleshooting at the end.

http://greddy.com/upload/file/PRofec_S.pdf

If I was you disconnect the boost controller. Buy a decent boost gauge, find out what fuel pump you have..you want a 255, buy a decent fpr take it to a dyno and get it mapped to 1 bar boost. Job done.

That’s what the instructions said, where do you think is best to T then if not on the standard fpr?

I sorted the boost issue out, it turned out the actuator needed adjusting wasn’t opening up fully.