Help! MOT failed on emissions

Hi all

We've just got back from Halfords and are in shock. Our beloved Starlet failed its MOT on emissions and we have been told it needs a new engine! 

The car is perfect in every way, drives like a dream and yet we're now facing the prospect of having to sell her as an engine will cost upwards of 500 quid :(

Any advice? Has anyone else had similar or is this a normal thing for Starlets?

Cheers in advance 

I'm starting to think they are full of bs, the engine runs fine. The car doesn't struggle or misfire and there is no smoke or anything when you rev the engine. It had a whole new exhaust a few months ago so we really weren't expecting this news. 

Yep, first thing I would do would be to go back and ask for that print out. They should have given that to you as proof that the engine has failed the emissions. If they don't give it you then I'd demand a retest or a refund.

Personally would not use halfords, wouldn't trust the monkeys to sell me a bike, let alone fix my car...

Agree with Calum, never use Halfords for MOT or even any general repair mate. These cunts are having you over by the sounds of it. And who told you you need a new engine? They need to be fucking shot..

I've found Redex helps clean system/reduce carbon reading before an MOT/Emission test, just make sure you take it for a good blast with the Redex in it before dropping it off for testing.

How many days has your MOT been expired? You can still have it retested elsewere, have you got a the list of things it failed on? If it's small jobs, I'd say get a small tool kit and couple axle stands/jack and have a go at it yourself.. loads of people here/on Facebook happy to help you with it. And then take it to a local garage that don't look like cowboys to get it retested. Plea your case and tell them how Halfords tested your car and said it needs a new engine because the emissions are too high, they will have a right laugh and pass it without too much effort.

Edited by Shyam

Thanks, the mot is OK til mid April, we took it early because we wanted time to sort out anything that arose. 

I've been doing some research and had seen the Redex fix :)

I've also found a mechanic through a mate so I'm taking it to him after the Bank holidays. 

I'll update when I have more - thank you to all that responded, it's great to know community is still a thing!

8 minutes ago, akyakapotter said:

You do realise now it's failed it no longer has a valid mot.?  

Cheers nick.

Was pretty sure this wasn't true, gov website confirms 

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid

1 minute ago, Ollieh17 said:

Was pretty sure this wasn't true, gov website confirms 

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid

Lol. I wasn't sure, but that's pretty shady if you ask me.

It could have failed because it's really bad, but so long as it was alright 12 months ago then you're legit.

Pretty funny but if that's what they say thanks for clearing it  up.

11 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Lol. I wasn't sure, but that's pretty shady if you ask me.

It could have failed because it's really bad, but so long as it was alright 12 months ago then you're legit.

Pretty funny but if that's what they say thanks for clearing it  up.

Well no, theres a difference between having a MOT and a car being road legal! 

3 minutes ago, akyakapotter said:

Your not legal as it has failed a new mot only time it's allowed to move is if it's pree booked for an mot and still the police can still fine you if they wish give me 10 mins I'll ask my mate who has just gained his mot licence.

Cheers nick 

Mate thats off the GOV website

4 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Well this is it isn't it. Is the car road legal or not? What makes a car road legal, MOT, Tax and insurance?

Emissions isnt something that is likely to be tested at the side of the road really so be hard to prove its not road legal. If it had bald tyres. suspension arms hanging off etc that is a different story