Help! MOT failed on emissions

39 posts in this topic

Just now, Calum122 said:

But, lets say the car is that bad it needs a rebuild, that should be blindingly obvious right? Smoking its tits off and what not. Surely that would be justifiable to pull over.

Not sure how that would fall into a car not being road legal tbh, depends on the person who spots it i imagine. Take the police round Gloucester, they are pretty dam laid back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, akyakapotter said:

Just spoken to my mate is reply is as follows.

 

(Still has mot but if failed on dangorous shit then they can contact police.)

Imo i wouldn't chance driving it until the issues are sorted and it has a valid mot again. I'd be inclined to phone vosa direct and ask them. 

Cheers nick 

If it failed emissions yet has an a mot, its not really any different than a person putting a cat on for a mot then taking it off. Just failing on emissions id carry on driving it, as long as thats the extent of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify 

Our car does not smoke, it is not dangerous in any way hence the perplexed nature of my OP.

This debate around mot and safe cars is off topic, the dva clearly states my original mot is valid until the date specified as long as it is road worthy (which it is) 

To those being helpful, thank you again, to those weighing in with no real insight.... don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dollwithabuyn said:

To clarify 

Our car does not smoke, it is not dangerous in any way hence the perplexed nature of my OP.

This debate around mot and safe cars is off topic, the dva clearly states my original mot is valid until the date specified as long as it is road worthy (which it is) 

To those being helpful, thank you again, to those weighing in with no real insight.... don't. 

My issue is, if it was road worthy, it would have passed its MOT.

 

it didn't, therefore, someone (whether they are right or wrong) have decided that the car is not road worthy. Emissions shouldn't be an exception to the rule. Carbon monoxide poisoning is incredibly dangerous and I know people who have fallen unconscious at the wheel due to it. So yes, it's not to be sniffed at!

 

I reckon Halfrauds haven't got a clue what they are on about, but until I physically see that sheet that I spoke to you about, or the car, I can't comment further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dollwithabuyn said:

To clarify 

Our car does not smoke, it is not dangerous in any way hence the perplexed nature of my OP.

This debate around mot and safe cars is off topic, the dva clearly states my original mot is valid until the date specified as long as it is road worthy (which it is) 

To those being helpful, thank you again, to those weighing in with no real insight.... don't. 

Bit harsh seeming people are just trying to help one way or another... In

 

4 minutes ago, dollwithabuyn said:

To clarify 

Our car does not smoke, it is not dangerous in any way hence the perplexed nature of my OP.

This debate around mot and safe cars is off topic, the dva clearly states my original mot is valid until the date specified as long as it is road worthy (which it is) 

To those being helpful, thank you again, to those weighing in with no real insight.... don't. 

Think people were just trying to help to ensure you weren't driving around in an illegal car, with any confusion or not! In terms of the emissions, get a print out and upload it and go from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lady says her MOT expires in Mid April. Upon renewal this year it failed. Surely the MOT certificate issued in 2017 is still valid until mid April? Otherwise there wouldn't be any way for organised people looking to get their MOT renewed earlier to get car back and forth for fixing problems/re-testing...DVLA would keep the in-date MOT certificate on their system, I can't see them replacing it with a failed MOT certificate if the previous MOT hasn't yet expired...

MOT tester would only tell the Police about an unsafe car if it was really really bad like the chassis is about to split in two etc..

Also, we all say bad things about the Police but UK Police are not that bad.. They'd usually give you a week after it's expired to get MOT on it and just give you a warning if your stopped before then. You'd be looking at being charged if after 1 week though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shyam, you're allowed to drive a car without an MOT to an authorised MOT garage providing you can prove it's booked in for an MOT.

 

@dollwithabuyn If that was aimed at me, then sorry, I just was interested for my own sakes what people thought the rules are. I'm just trying to help you get the full picture.


All I'm saying is, I know from experience I have had trouble with Halfords MOT with emissions. They tend not to know what they're doing. However, I can't make that assumption here without evidence. They should have provided you with a readout of those emissions, which would tell me how bad the situation. I find it hard to believe they failed you on emissions and DIDN'T supply you with that document.


If that genuinely is the case, then you need to get onto them about that piece of paper, because without it, they could be telling you a load of rubbish. You could then go to another garage for an MOT and the readouts should be very similar. If they are, then you know that the engine is in need of an overhaul. But if it's not then you could go back to halfords and demand a refund.

 

As I say, driving a car that is heavy on pollutants is wrong on so many levels, if you obtain monoxide poisoning at the wheel and pass out, you could endanger anothers life. Which really is my concern on the matter, and should be yours too. You don't want that to happen. So I am just associating the gravity of the situation to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Shyam, you're allowed to drive a car without an MOT to an authorised MOT garage providing you can prove it's booked in for an MOT.

 

@dollwithabuyn If that was aimed at me, then sorry, I just was interested for my own sakes what people thought the rules are. I'm just trying to help you get the full picture.


All I'm saying is, I know from experience I have had trouble with Halfords MOT with emissions. They tend not to know what they're doing. However, I can't make that assumption here without evidence. They should have provided you with a readout of those emissions, which would tell me how bad the situation. I find it hard to believe they failed you on emissions and DIDN'T supply you with that document.


If that genuinely is the case, then you need to get onto them about that piece of paper, because without it, they could be telling you a load of rubbish. You could then go to another garage for an MOT and the readouts should be very similar. If they are, then you know that the engine is in need of an overhaul. But if it's not then you could go back to halfords and demand a refund.

 

As I say, driving a car that is heavy on pollutants is wrong on so many levels, if you obtain monoxide poisoning at the wheel and pass out, you could endanger anothers life. Which really is my concern on the matter, and should be yours too. You don't want that to happen. So I am just associating the gravity of the situation to you.

Yes mate, that is true for cars which have expired MOT. I'm saying this one is hasn't expired yet if 2017 test expires mid April? Surely she's allowed to continue using her car until it expires in mid April as MOT certificate of failure won't be updated on DVLA website until the old one expires right???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shyam said:

Yes mate, that is true for cars which have expired MOT. I'm saying this one is hasn't expired yet if 2017 test expires mid April? Surely she's allowed to continue using her car until it expires in mid April as MOT certificate of failure won't be updated on DVLA website until the old one expires right???

Yeah I was just saying, does that not seem wrong to you? If it's failed the MOT then surely that should invalidate a 11 month old MOT. The car has failed, it's been deemed no longer roadworthy and therefore could cause an accident. As others had said, that isn't the case. But I found that really odd. I would have thought it would...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Yeah I was just saying, does that not seem wrong to you? If it's failed the MOT then surely that should invalidate a 11 month old MOT. The car has failed, it's been deemed no longer roadworthy and therefore could cause an accident. As others had said, that isn't the case. But I found that really odd. I would have thought it would...

Yes but on the other hand, her vehicle was tested last year for an entire year as stated by expiry date on the certificate, not 11 months. They're not gonna be anal and say, you were a good organised person who tried to MOT their car earlier than normal. However it's failed and now we are gonna forcefully expire your current MOT are they? Her car is entitled to be on the road for the whole year the MOT is valid from regardless of if it's about to fall apart or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOT certificates should always be accompanied by an emissions print out - pass or fail.

I'm an MOT tester myself and provided you have a valid MOT you can legally drive the car away,...the new MOT does not override it's existing MOT provided you test before the expiry date. You can test the vehicle up to 28 days before it's expiry to give you enough time to sort any issues out and any remaining time is added to your new MOT after re-test.

It's a big problem in the motor trade that MOT stations regularly try to rip customers off due to emissions or brake tester "results", I saw one the other day failed by Halfrauds on "Exhaust emitting high level of blue smoke" or similar, quoted new DPF or catalytic for $$$$$$...guess what...flew through a diesel test in my unit, and went out the door without a single advisory too.

MOT stations take the piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't halfords actually fined heavily for making up work following MOTs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have booked it in to an independent garage recommended by my tattooist (he also builds bikes n stuff) 

After to speaking to him he has assured me it will be fine, to use some Forte in the tank and he'll retest it. 

Feeling much better about the whole debacle now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now