Biggie Smalls, the saga so far

3 hours ago, SpoonalTap said:

Aye I do bud, not updated in an age tho as not done much to the mini.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/325205-my-new-mini-british-open-classic-ongoing-road-project/

Tidy, loving the carbon fibre. And those gauges in the cabin look the tits!

Good car collection I see :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers mate, yeah I love it to bits. My fav part is the gearknob as I made it myself and used a KAD quickshift designed for a moke to get it nice and high.

I've got too many cars and they all have issues, it's a major pain in the ass lol. Just want glanza done so I can replace an engine on another project I've got.

2 hours ago, Calum122 said:

I adore the Recaro seats they made for these cars :D

Yeah so glad I managed to get a set, so much nicer then the original seats. Hoping I find them more comfy as well.

1 hour ago, Big dubs said:

Glad your getting stuck in mate! Keep it coming!

What fog light switch did you use looks pretty oe 

This one on ebay, working well so far.

Started the one job I've been putting off doing today, replacing the sill. I've still got a lot of welding to do and there's a section just under the door I need to cut out and replace but I think it should look good when it's done. I'm not the best welder in the world so it's slow progress.

Cut the replacement sill to shape

nmTCi2B.jpg

Cut out old sill

M97ipBU.jpg

New sill in place

YWREELh.jpg

017un0L.jpg

There's deffo been a repair done to the right side of the glanza sometime in the past as there was a shit load of filler in it and it's rusted along the repair. There's rust in the boot so at some point in the future I'll need to decide whether to buy a decent shell or strip this one down and fix it properly.

But for now it will do, atleast it's solid. Doesn't look the prettiest but the sideskirt will cover it up.

TEjGhTa.jpg

3uTfLAP.jpg

7u123Ru.jpg

EETQNJu.jpg

Quick question, I never noticed that the front shocks are offset when I removed them and now I don't know which way they go round. Can anyone help?

Option A

8vdMCHL.jpg

Option B

GWnXR3K.jpg

Had a quick look at engine bays and I think it's the 2nd one with top mount facing the rear of the car but hoping someone might be able to confirm?

Decided to try something with the rear lights to stop moisture getting in so I bought a sheet of rubber and cut it to shape and used weather proof sealant to attach it to the body. I've only done one side as I'm going to see if it makes any difference before doing it on the other side.

3CEtqbt.jpg

Really wasn't impressed by the way the sideskirts are attached under the body on these glanzas, using a bolt and rubber grommet so decided to use rivnuts instead.

AQtGJEE.jpg

UxHgNT8.jpg

I also bought silver hammerite to cover the black. Not too fussed the now as it's hopefully gonna get a full respray in the future.

Yfqc4FQ.jpg

fEo1WbV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know shells are super cheap to buy but it wasn't that long ago people felt the same way about minis and now people are restoring shells that you have to replace like 90% of the panels because there isn't enough shells to go round. Plus I get super attached to my cars and have already fallen in love with this glanza (even though it's been a complete pain in the ares) and it wouldn't feel the same putting all the stuff in a new shell.

Yeah I really quite like the blue of the bumper, the lip is gonna need some work to make it look good but again I'm not too bothered about the cosmetics of the car the now. In fact because most people have never heard of a glanza the worst it looks the better as will annoy people even more when they get pumped by it haha. I did however buy the rear number plate surround off the same guy in the same colour so it kind of ties in until I get the bodywork sorted.

Anyway I haven't done much to the glanza, because the weather has been bad I've not been near it much recently. I was staring to get worried I wasn't going to complete it in time and I needed the car for me starting college in October I went and bought another car to get me to college so the pressure is off a bit to get the glanza road worthy.

What I have done

Astra disc with custom spigot ring fitted to front

FhRs8k1.jpg

Made a tray for the battery to sit in

ixJr2RI.jpg

Battery fits yay, need to buy threaded bar to hold the top bar in place

dhh6Q7v.jpg

Nothings too good for my babe, new bolt and washer for the gearbox drainage hole

L9ROXoI.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've not really had a chance to work on the glanza recently. Started college which means I'm away from home during the week and also had to buy a car to get me to and from college so I've been doing little jobs on that to try and make sure it lasts.

I did get a bit of time today so I mucked about with mounting the new radiator. I made brackets for it but I changed my mind and bought some ones off ebay. Just a tempory mock up the now as I want to take the slam panel off and sort the rusty bits.

KoWEroP.jpg

And bought some muteki wheelnuts

FoMCcup.jpg

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much I should be paying for a set of mint front foglights for a 96? I'm in need of a set but not sure how much to pay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Made a custom centre section so that my manifold bolts up to the rest of the japspeed system I've got. Will probably revisit the exhaust system at some point.

d2XoGKD.jpg

Made a gear gaiter as the old one was a mess, haven't clipped it properly in place yet as I think I'll need to remove the centre console soon.

DORXkjP.jpg

I'm a bellend so my fabrication skills are shite, wasn't happy with how the rad was mounted so I made a piece out of stainless for the bottom of the rad and drilled the holes in the wrong location so ended up having to cut it up to make two pieces. Anyway good news is the rad is mounted, hooked the pipe work up and filled it with toyota coolant. Bolted the exhaust up, fucked that up too but it's secure and looks fine and cranked her over for the first time in probably 8 or more months and she fired right up without any issues so that has made me happy. Also fitted a new lambda sensor, hopefully I wired it to the right plug.

All in all a good day, just need to build my levin calipers and fit them and a few small jobs and she'll be back on the road hopefully.

Also got my hands on a voice guide turbo timer and have it fitted now.

m0ACvCq.jpg

• 1 month later...

So finally got my levin twinpots installed. That's the last of the big stuff that needed doing, now it's a case of all the little things that shouldn't take too long and it will be ready for it's MOT. I just want it back on the road now so I can actually drive it for a bit so I'm not fussed on how it looks as long as it runs well. Hopefully be getting a new house with a decent garage soon so I can revisit everything in a couple of years if I'm still interested in it and get the shell resprayed etc.

hwy4Zxs.jpg

• 1 month later...