Looking to buy a starlet glanza

Have found a starlet glanza near me, fully forged td04 front mount etc, is running 265bhp how reliable would this be as it will be my first starlet, should I go for something more stock for reliability?

To be honest mate, I'm not aware of any reliability issues at that sort of power.

If you're the type of person who nails their car everywhere, sure it won't last forever.

But if you're just interested in blipping it down the odd road here and there, that sort of spec car should last.

Naturally maintenance is the key, pretty sure the car should be running ACL bearings at that sort of power, although not sure why, but in any case, they only last 25,0000 KM.

So as said, maintenance is key.

Also with modified cars, they do go wrong from time to time, that's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Ollieh17 said:

If you want reliability you are looking at the wrong car lol. Go buy a honda ;) Doesn't need ACL bearings 

I never understood why people bought ACL bearings if they're only good for such low mileage.

I have to ask Ollie, what are you driving these days? I know you spoke of getting a Honda.

I love Honda's, but a Turbo Starlet is better than most other cars of its class. For performance, price, insurance tax etc etc..

3 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

I never understood why people bought ACL bearings if they're only good for such low mileage.

I have to ask Ollie, what are you driving these days? I know you spoke of getting a Honda.

I love Honda's, but a Turbo Starlet is better than most other cars of its class. For performance, price, insurance tax etc etc..

a Honda lol. Artic Blue DC5, basically standard and seriously capable on track. No headaches and faff with turbos

2 hours ago, Ollieh17 said:

a Honda lol. Artic Blue DC5, basically standard and seriously capable on track. No headaches and faff with turbos

Ahh very Nice Ollie. Didn't know you bought one. I believe you, since you've had both you're in a good position to say so.

21 hours ago, Calum122 said:

To be honest mate, I'm not aware of any reliability issues at that sort of power.

If you're the type of person who nails their car everywhere, sure it won't last forever.

But if you're just interested in blipping it down the odd road here and there, that sort of spec car should last.

Naturally maintenance is the key, pretty sure the car should be running ACL bearings at that sort of power, although not sure why, but in any case, they only last 25,0000 KM.

So as said, maintenance is key.

Also with modified cars, they do go wrong from time to time, that's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice mate!

On 30/05/2018, 12:37:13, daniel_g said:

Fully forged. Better than semi forged.

What ECU is it running?

Also it sits at 3/4 on the temperature gauge is this something to be worried about?

Just under half way is what it should sit at under 'normal driving conditions'

Thermostats on these do tend to stick if the coolant never gets changed.

Before buying any starlet always do a head gasket sniff test and compression test.

Even better get it into a garage, get it on a ramp, check everything for play. Carry out a leak down test with an airline.

If the owner will let you, whip off the inner rear door cards and shine a torch down, look for rusty sills.

19 hours ago, daniel_g said:

Just under half way is what it should sit at under 'normal driving conditions'

Thermostats on these do tend to stick if the coolant never gets changed.

Before buying any starlet always do a head gasket sniff test and compression test.

Even better get it into a garage, get it on a ramp, check everything for play. Carry out a leak down test with an airline.

If the owner will let you, whip off the inner rear door cards and shine a torch down, look for rusty sills.

Cheers for the advice mate 

If you get the full spec and alot of pics to post them all on here we could all see and have a better idea of what your paying for..? How much is it in total? To be honest it's a pefect number for a reliable forged starlet..creeping up to the 300's seems to be where the gearbox's don't agree from what I've read in the past..anything over 220 you want that LSD! Mind you you wouldn't go wrong with a Honda I've been looking myself for a daily but the price's are high...you could probably buy a starlet and have it forged and take your family on holiday and have spare money than own a decent Honda with 120,00000000 mile on the clock lol it depends what your using it for aswell...it can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be as above it's great for tax, insurance fun little car :)