Refurbing kyb super special shocks.

My glanza came with kyb super special shocks and eibach springs fitted but because they've been on the car for so long they don't look nice. Was wanting to freshen them up a bit, I don't think any are leaking but the boots are split so I'd like to replace them and maybe put fresh oil in them (I don't know if they're gas or oil filled?), is that possible? Was going to replace the springs as well. I really like the way my glanza handles the now so I'd like to keep them instead of running coil overs.

Basically just wondering how far can I build/strip these or is there any rebuild services I can send them to?

LEivcbw.jpg

Edited by SpoonalTap

KYB do a few different options new bud. I had the excel g set in a Micra years back with custom springs, great comfort and great performance, it's most likely the route I will go with the GT unless I can find a set of coils that wont break my broken back more :)

Yeah mate, being having a look as new ones. Here sells SR special shocks and can get a full set for £375, could potentially buy a set and keep in the loft until my ones give up since it seems getting parts is getting harder and harder. I've not removed all my shocks yet but I'm hopeful they're still serviceable, will probably give them a lick of paint, new dust covers and new springs and fire them back on.

Was thinking TEIN springs unless anyone can suggest better springs to get?

Good price for the springs and 50mm drop 8)

Going to look over the weekend at shock options as I've a weepy rear fs :)

The springs i had custom made for the Micra where from Suplex, dear enough at 320£ 20 years ago lol

Edited by SKINY

Let me know what shocks you get mate and how they perform, I'm gonna take some suspension bits to get powder coated so might see if he can do the springs as well. Some people say you can't powder coats springs and some say you can so I'm not sure but if not I'll probably get the tein springs or similar. Yeah £320 is dear for springs now haha.

Just picked up a set of Koni rear shocks needing paint so that's my route decided lol, eye out now for fronts and then will be going for the tein springs in the above link 8)

Well I really like the way my glanza handles the now, I was concerned before getting it as lots of people say they handle like crap but mine handles pretty well all things considered.

I'm tempted to buy whiteline's rear and front anti rollbar, anti lift kit and a cusco lower arm to help handling even more.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help? The dust covers around my shock absorbers are total wrecked and I'm trying to source new ones without any luck. Part number is 48331-16060 and I can get them from Toyota but they're like 40 quid each which is a total joke. They're out of stock on the febest website and the only places that seem to have stock are in the US and won't ship to the UK. 

gLcDXKS.jpg

Edited by SpoonalTap
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep us updated mate as I've the SR special KYB's on my car. They are hard to get hold of and no one sells them in the uk so will be expensive to import new ones. I find my gt is very stiff on the SR specials with RSR ti2000 springs. I also have a set of TRD springs which I planned to swap over to see if that made the ride a bit softer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not done much with the shocks mate all that's I've done is give the shocks a lick of paint, fitted those new dust covers and replaced one of the top mounts as it felt wobbly. Wanted new springs but at the moment there's nothing wrong with them and I like the ride height the way it is. 

if you wanted the rust off the lower legs you could fill a bucket with boiling water with bilt hamber deox C leave over night and see how they come up. you might have to do it a couple of times but its great at eating the rust away.

I use acid that's used in work to clean inside cement mixers for rusty bits, mixes with water then soak it and as you lift bits out the rust just disappears.

I've a full set of Konis here now that need painting :)

I did start using electrolysis to get rid of the rust but I'm in a bit of a rush so I just used a wire wheel on my grinder to get rid of the loose rust then used a rust converter on them before painting them, should offer a bit of protection the now.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, once I've got more time to redo them I'll give it another go.

Edited by SpoonalTap