HI there,

Has anyone out there got a standard tune for a EP91. One that has been tuned on a dyno would be great. I loaded on the base map from there website before anyone asks, but it has no power and wont go over 2300RPM making it difficult to drive to a dyno. Has anyone else loaded on the base map from their website? did you have similar problem? Thanks in advance

Yeah I have plugged in the old ECU, but I don't really have the money right now to dyno tune the car after paying over $1000NZD for the ECU.

They are far from plug and play. I don't think much R&D went into this ECU or research alone. When I bought the ECU I ticked the box to receive an ECU for a EP91 because I have an EP91. It comes with a 3 plug ECU, if you have a manual ECU it is only 2 plug. Lucky mine is an Auto and is 3 plug. Before I bought the ECU I asked if it works with an auto, and they said it would. I think that's where half my problems are coming from

may be something to do with the auto variable TPS and neutral start compared to a manual EP91

i converted my car from auto to manual a long time ago, and since then i've ran stock auto ecu, stock MT ecu and JAM MT ecu...the car registered a code 51 iirc with the MT ecus, but worked

have you contacted ME for advice?...they should be able to assist

Edited by gorganl2000
9 hours ago, daniel_g said:

Get a refund. Heard nothing but bad news about these ECUs.

Thought you would be able to get a Link mapped up straight forward where you are.

I have been trying to get a refund - No luck. They say I need to get it tuned.

I did look into keeping it Kiwi made going for a Link, would have cost the same amount for the ECU, but I would have also had to pay for wiring it up and tuning. having something that is "Plug n Play" plugging into the existing wiring harness seemed like an easy and cheaper way of doing it. I'm not chasing massive amounts of power, just a little more boost without hitting the fuel cut.

9 hours ago, 00joeindastarb0 said:

I would think it being an Auto is the problem

I think it is too, but ME is denying that is the problem.

9 hours ago, gorganl2000 said:

may be something to do with the auto variable TPS and neutral start compared to a manual EP91

i converted my car from auto to manual a long time ago, and since then i've ran stock auto ecu, stock MT ecu and JAM MT ecu...the car registered a code 51 iirc with the MT ecus, but worked

have you contacted ME for advice?...they should be able to assist

It has to do something with it interfacing with the automatic transmission, seems to run fine until you put the selector into drive. then it seems to go into "limp home mode" loses all power and doesn't rev over 2300.

I would like to convert mine to manual, would you say it was worth the hassle?

I have contacted ME and they are saying its a tuning problem. I just want my money back at this point.

15 hours ago, Godspeed said:

I would like to convert mine to manual, would you say it was worth the hassle?

well, to be honest, i only bought the car when i knew i had all the parts to convert it to manual----i bought all this stuff first...lol

i bought the car, drove it home as an automatic, put all the manual conversion parts into the trunk and took it directly to the mechanic to be converted...so that was the extent of my auto experience---less than 1 day :D iirc

for me, it was worth the hassle, as i strongly prefer MT 

If it’s still got the automatic gearbox id imagine that is the issue like has been suggested. 

I wasn’t aware of the ME having an auto gearbox control but I’m sure they can confirm. 

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎57‎:‎02‎, RobSR said:

If it’s still got the automatic gearbox id imagine that is the issue like has been suggested. 

I wasn’t aware of the ME having an auto gearbox control but I’m sure they can confirm. 

Yeah still have the automatic gearbox.

I don't think ME was aware they needed a automatic gear box control. And I'm sure they would tell me if their ECU had the function, since I am in contact about the issue I'm having.

Still just waiting for my refund....

Hopefully you can get your refund.  Definitely look at a Link though, just wire it into the factory harness piggy backing the factory ecu so it runs everything but the factory ecu keeps the auto shifting etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎07‎:‎49‎, Stu said:

Hopefully you can get your refund.  Definitely look at a Link though, just wire it into the factory harness piggy backing the factory ecu so it runs everything but the factory ecu keeps the auto shifting etc.

Thanks Stu, ill have to look into it. Where abouts are you from in NZ?

Matt has agreed to a refund after I took it to 2 tuners here, and they both said the same thing, automatic gear box is blocking it. So I have sent it back and they are testing the ECU. so I haven't seen any money yet.

20 hours ago, Godspeed said:

Thanks Stu, ill have to look into it. Where abouts are you from in NZ?

Matt has agreed to a refund after I took it to 2 tuners here, and they both said the same thing, automatic gear box is blocking it. So I have sent it back and they are testing the ECU. so I haven't seen any money yet.

I'm in Auckland

12 hours ago, Starlet__SR said:

Like what? I've yet to install mine..

Lad who mapped my car was telling me about a few who have come to him with them, functions not working correctly, unable to run COP properly. One had to be soldered again for some reason. He just didnt rate them.

13 hours ago, daniel_g said:

Lad who mapped my car was telling me about a few who have come to him with them, functions not working correctly, unable to run COP properly. One had to be soldered again for some reason. He just didnt rate them.

Strange but to be expected with a newish product. Only reason I bought mine was a step up from the aging PnP's, just giving that bit for flexibility. It's only gonna be so long before they start to fail lol. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2018 at 9:35 PM, Starlet__SR said:

Strange but to be expected with a newish product. Only reason I bought mine was a step up from the aging PnP's, just giving that bit for flexibility. It's only gonna be so long before they start to fail lol. 

How are you getting on with it? I'm after an ME221 as it seems to be an excellent choice for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I did receive a refund in the end, so happy in that respect.

Once I have converted mine to manual I might try going down the track of speeduino. It would only be a few hundred dollars to give it a go. Its a free open source ECU that's built on the Arduino platform.

Here is a link for anyone interested:

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

10 hours ago, Godspeed said:

I did receive a refund in the end, so happy in that respect.

Once I have converted mine to manual I might try going down the track of speeduino. It would only be a few hundred dollars to give it a go. Its a free open source ECU that's built on the Arduino platform.

Here is a link for anyone interested:

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

Mate, that's mental! An arduino is like 14MHz processor onboard. And like 32Kb of memory. Surely that's worse than the stock ECU.

Having a read on their pages LMAO. Wow. Okay but it hardly seems like a reliable tuners ECU. I'm not a mapper, but 16X16 load points doesn't seem like a lot...

Edited by Calum122
4 hours ago, Calum122 said:

Mate, that's mental! An arduino is like 14MHz processor onboard. And like 32Kb of memory. Surely that's worse than the stock ECU.

Having a read on their pages LMAO. Wow. Okay but it hardly seems like a reliable tuners ECU. I'm not a mapper, but 16X16 load points doesn't seem like a lot...

Yeah it does seem crazy, but ill give it a go. its not going to cost me much.

If I do try it, ill be sure to post it on the forums here. It could be a cheaper option for people on a budget ;)

• 4 years later...
On 6/8/2018 at 3:51 PM, gorganl2000 said:

well, to be honest, i only bought the car when i knew i had all the parts to convert it to manual----i bought all this stuff first...lol

i bought the car, drove it home as an automatic, put all the manual conversion parts into the trunk and took it directly to the mechanic to be converted...so that was the extent of my auto experience---less than 1 day :D iirc

for me, it was worth the hassle, as i strongly prefer MT 

Hello. I hope you are going to read this. I have swapped a 4efte ep91 eutomatic engine from a Glanza V into a Corolla E11 and I am in the process of changing the exhaust manifold with an external wastegate for the next step that is adding a piggyback. The plan was a DET3 but then I read about this standalone and I got curious. My engine is in the same situation as yours. Does the MT standalone ECU work with the auto to manual engine conversion? Let me know. Thanks!

Edited by Frankieflowers