My first Car.......Ep91 Glanza called Scarlet

Let me explain first how I have a Glanza as my first car. When i was 17 I knew I was going to university so never bothered with driving, yes that sucked being such a petrolhead! It would have sucked more having a shiny nice car sat at home whilst i'm 200miles away at home! Fast forward 4 yrs of uni life, i was in a fortunate (or unfortunate position, depending on how you look at) of being left a very healthy inheritance from my nan. So thought I might as well start driving as I'd be able to actually afford running a car whilst at uni now with beer money to spare. After looking at some rather boring Audi A3's, not quite tickling my fancy, a friend said he might be selling his Glanza as he doesn't use it nowadays. I'd been in the car a few times, didn't know much about the spec but it was a cool little car. But first look at the car was rather disappointing if I'm honest. £3250 later (sounds expensive but I'll explain later) its mine. rps20180816_142044.thumb.jpg.d5a0962159eaa7b933722ee28410906a.jpg

Faded, flat paint, exhaust blowing, cracked manifold, cracked fogs the list went on but i thought it was a cool car. First things first, sort the bodywork out. Quick wash to see what was underneath, very yellow and tired mainly original paint. 

rps20180816_141850.thumb.jpg.6a0ca3321ab328b455084bb774037663.jpg

When i had a weekend free, all hands on deck to tidy her up a bit. I don't have any pics as i was going along but the end result is astonishing for 20yr old paint

Wet sanded the headlights and polished up with a cutting compound and also cut the bumper for the front mount (I've now been informed that an uncut 98' front bumper is very rare and worth money, ooooops) still need to do some trimming as the cooler is simply too big for the std bumper.

rps20180816_155144.jpg.652d9da8b225a862dd7df9bb49f59c40.jpg

Some side shots of a polished side, new glanza decals applied. Looking very fresh for an R reg car I think

rps20180816_155408.jpg.4d40aa1a2ec110ec1dc69f22520cd1f5.jpg
rps20180816_155503.jpg.a1964547a48d71d900e3b15de6b4c864.jpg

Now with the outside looking as it does, presentable is what I'd call it, few battle scars here and there. The interior needed some love. The car has a genuine Bride seat on a genuine Bride rail, but this was very tired, bolsters torn and the sponge was just generally crap if I'm honest
(Hard to see in this pic)
rps20180816_155647.jpg.bf1e3978eb970f7ea20049efe7234fb3.jpg

Bride material very worn (turbo timer also removed, just don't like them tbh)

rps20180816_155803.jpg.bac52b549ae209ea405d3738bcf4b140.jpg

Seat out and to the trimmers, originally I was going to just have the sponge and bolster repaired and the material best matched. But at this point i had completely fallen for the car, had named it Scarlet (no idea why lol) and knew i was going to keep it for a while. Phoned the trimmer and gave new instructions. Alcantara front and black material for the back, wet vac the bride centre (at £90 a metre I wanted to see if it would come up).

Very pleased with the result. Feels like a completely new seat.

rps20180816_160254.jpg.081373c6c2460a3b81e095e773598a69.jpg

Absolutely over the moon with it, all for the sum of £200!!!!!! Ive done a few interior changes, gear knob, steering wheel and Broadway mirror but no pics atm as its peeing down with rain! Now the actual running of the car, it was way down on power. But luckily as I'm good friends with the old owner, he had a few bits laying about left over.
So assembled a new turbo kit with these parts, painted the Zisco ramhorn in VHT black, and meshed the turbo and stuck the screamer pipe on

Just now, Calum122 said:

Shame to have cut the bumper if you asked me.

But nice looking Glanza, I hate Scarlet. Cause I get people come up to me all the time, aww is that a Toyota Scarlet?

When i can work out a better system for uploading the pics I'll take better ones of the bumper, its in very poor condition tbh. Held on with cable ties, and the panel gap is something else :( 

I get what you mean, makes it sound a tad girly haha

PZOse2.jpg

HKS actuator was also tidied up (as you can tell its a very well specced CT9 car!). Absolutely loving the car at this point, just the noise and turbo chatter is incredible. As i was planning on keeping the car for a while now, had a TD05 twin scroll off my dads evo that is living in the shed. Might make an appearance later on :)  ZKzBuW.jpg

Took the car on a drive, at this point hadnt gone past the driveway in it, went to the seafront to get some scenic pictures. Got some funny looks from the locals in town as the turbo was chattering away and the Blitz Nur Spec echoeing off teh buildings and the L plates on the car haha

pVu7UR.jpgeuPudA.jpg

It did highlight a few issues, the rear anti roll bar was making some very strange noises. Turns out the bolts were just hand tight!!!!!! That would be the strange noises then.  xaAsR0.jpg

A bright blue was chosen for no reason tbh, just stood out in the colour range at Halfords. Few pics of the Glanza and Evo sat on the drive together

nbC0VM.jpg

VflWDz.jpg

nbHHA9.jpg

hAy7w8.jpg

Better Picture of the freshly trimmed Bride, the alcantara is of seriously high quality. And thats the original bride material just a lot of elbow grease from the trimmer. Never spent a better £200 in my life tbh

myAVgF.jpg

Finally happy with the bodywork of this car now, had my concerns but building up the layers of polish and claying the paintwork to get it very white. Quick shot as of yesterday at good ol' Tesco jetwash, blasting all of the dust off of her as the car stays outside and attracts so much dust where it is

7 minutes ago, glanzadude said:

Nice car you have there, any other plans?

Cheers buddy, it's getting there. Big plans lol, building a forged engine over Christmas, the other turbo is a TD05 twin scroll with a 20G billet wheel (not heard of one on a starlet??), then going ME221 ecu and will map myself (quite into my mapping, and good friends with a Dyno place so i can borrow the rollers whenever I like) placing an order for a Cusco 6 point 4 passenger cage soon, unsure on coilovers yet. So should be a good build. Was looking at S3's and keeping the glanza low power but sod it, we're only here once

10 minutes ago, Neversimple said:

Nice car and good work so far how long have you had it?

Puts mine to shame 10 months of ownership late

that’s a great clean up you have given it! 

Had it about a month I think so not long. I was reading your thread the other day actually! Stands out being yellow 

Lol yep it’s a bit different.

I got loads of bits for mine but lack the time to fit them sitting on almost £1000 of parts at the moment ready to fit but really I would kick myself if I spent thousands more on suspension and breaks and seats then the gear box or clutch went on the first time out on track so I am going to see what comes loose on the 28th and build from there. 

Looks like you have some great help there from your dad as well which is a big bonus Jelly baby on here is helping me out loads.

any technical starlet specific queries don’t hesitate to ask on here there are some really clever people that really know there stuff. 

25 minutes ago, Neversimple said:

Lol yep it’s a bit different.

I got loads of bits for mine but lack the time to fit them sitting on almost £1000 of parts at the moment ready to fit but really I would kick myself if I spent thousands more on suspension and breaks and seats then the gear box or clutch went on the first time out on track so I am going to see what comes loose on the 28th and build from there. 

Looks like you have some great help there from your dad as well which is a big bonus Jelly baby on here is helping me out loads.

any technical starlet specific queries don’t hesitate to ask on here there are some really clever people that really know there stuff. 

That's exactly it mate, my dad spent a fortune on his evo only for the first pull to blow its rear diff and cook its clutch.

Not really sure atm, depends how well I can peddle it I suppose. Grew up doing karting and rallying (first ever driving lesson was in a 205 GTI doing handbrake turns and scandi flicks on gravel lol) All the family have their racing licenses so it's a possibility.Thing is I love how the Glanza is on the road, so i won't take it away from that aspect, full interior etc

Well good luck what ever way you plan to go and as its a hell of a first car if I was in your situation I would not be tracking it. Also given the car the age and the way you managed to buy it I would try to keep it as a life time car. Sorry to hear about your Gran. One day we will have to meet up your not a million miles away from me Jay85 and Jellybaby. Are you planning on going to JAE?

I am aiming for a few races in clubman at time attack next year which is why I asked and I saw the sticker. I have heard its slightly more sensible than some motorsports with less contact. 

3 minutes ago, Neversimple said:

Well good luck what ever way you plan to go and as its a hell of a first car if I was in your situation I would not be tracking it. Also given the car the age and the way you managed to buy it I would try to keep it as a life time car. Sorry to hear about your Gran. One day we will have to meet up your not a million miles away from me Jay85 and Jellybaby. Are you planning on going to JAE?

I am aiming for a few races in clubman at time attack next year which is why I asked and I saw the sticker. I have heard its slightly more sensible than some motorsports with less contact. 

I have an absolute minter of a car coming later this year. 40k miles in 25yrs, never seen the rain in its lifetime so tbh the glanza is a bit a of a toy to have fun in. Will definitely keep hold of it for as long as possible.Fsu0xi.jpg

Not sure on JAE yet, need to sort the brakes out as they're a bit crap and do something with the gearbox as 4th gear crunches like mad. But deffo have to do a mini meet up!!!!

I was going to do the Javalin sprints, heard good things about them and is a fraction of the cost of Time attack. Time attack is about £1k per round in fees and fuel from what ive heard!

Last time I looked earlier this season it was £400 per round not including tyres which are set by the series. That’s for clubman I think it depends which part of the competition range you enter in to or your car gets entered into its why I am trying to minimise engine upgrades at the moment.

Will take a look at javelin sprints.

That cavalier looks mint I am sure I have seen that somewhere which is likely I was doing courier work down your neck of the woods a few years ago.

There was a local-ish meet organised at the weekend, decided i'd go for a look and see what was there. It was about 45mins drive away so didn't bother cleaning it. Ended up "Playing" with a few cars on the way anyway so it would have been wasted. Even 3 up in the glanza and feathering it in 4th due to the infamous boost cut, mk3 focus ST with a REVO sticker got showed up by the little Toyota as well as a DC5 Integra! 

Didn't think the car would get much attention at the meet, it's got battle scars all over it and is far from the cleanest example. But it was the most photographed car there! Few of the professional pics that I've been tagged in so far

1Tn443.jpgGahWtR.jpgh123lm.jpg

J1RLob.jpg