Has anyone ever gone down this route? I have a TD05 16g 10.5t off an evo, i was thinking of swapping to the smaller 9.8t hotside and a billet compressor whee to help it spool, but I'm unsure how the small cc of the starlets will cope with a twin scroll. Anyone able to shed some light? Will it be too laggy? Will it not get boost till 5500rpm?

2 hours ago, V_Jack said:

On a 4e? Twin scroll helps a lot, billet wheel even more so, I'd expect you to be making boost around 4000rpm to be honest. 

A billet wheel doesn't actually help spool, when you research it you will realise it is a myth. When you say making boost, what boost do you think at 4000rpm?

45 minutes ago, RobSR said:

A billet wheel doesn't actually help spool, when you research it you will realise it is a myth. When you say making boost, what boost do you think at 4000rpm?

As i understand it as long as you choose the correct wheel design, spool will improve. Billet wheels are easier to get the fancy aerodynamics than cast ones? All theory atm, just wanted to see if someone has used one on a Starlet before as there's not much info out there. And Race-techs twin scroll turbo kit is all hush hush so i can't even steal any info from that!

31 minutes ago, HedgeyGedgey said:

As i understand it as long as you choose the correct wheel design, spool will improve. Billet wheels are easier to get the fancy aerodynamics than cast ones? All theory atm, just wanted to see if someone has used one on a Starlet before as there's not much info out there. And Race-techs twin scroll turbo kit is all hush hush so i can't even steal any info from that!

The material alone doesn't improve spool, its all in the design of the wheel which helps, that said, if the dynamics of the billet and cast wheel were indentical, the billet would not spool better than the cast. Billet has a higher boost capability and thats about it - even Borgwarner say this.

Not sure about the RT twin scroll kit as it doesnt look like many people run them, so there isnt many dyno plots. 

We'll be posting the results of our new kit soon, which will give TD04 spool and GT2860 power.

20 hours ago, RobSR said:

Billet wheels are lighter, I’ve always been under the impression they spool better, especially on a twin scroll.

I’d be expecting it to be starting to come on boost around 4000rpm

Billet wheel are not always lighter. Like said above the only way a billet wheel will help is if it has a more efficient design than its cast counterpart. Like for like you’ll notice no real performance gains. 

If it’s only starting to come on boost at 4000rpm I wouldn’t say that’s particularly good..

Be good to see the results if you did try it. 

13 minutes ago, RobSR said:

Billet wheel are not always lighter. Like said above the only way a billet wheel will help is if it has a more efficient design than its cast counterpart. Like for like you’ll notice no real performance gains. 

If it’s only starting to come on boost at 4000rpm I wouldn’t say that’s particularly good..

Be good to see the results if you did try it. 

I've got the turbo here already so it will be going on 100%, in talks with ID Workz atm about a manifold to suit. I'm mapping it myself, so I'll be more than happy sharing the logs when its done. For an old school turbo, max boost at say 4.8k on a 4E I don't think is too bad, revving to 8250 leaves a half decent powerband I think

I'm thinking ME221 for ease of installation, MX5 lot seem to rate it but heard mixed reviews on Starlets. Link G4+ is the other option, but its in a completely different price point as I'd want the wideband and additional sensors into a CAN system. Rough cost will be £2k for that option

I can support you with the Link stuff if needed as we can supply, but yes it will work out more expensive. Monsoon is worth looking at, but doesn’t have the onboard lambda stuff.

Has CAN so you can send out ecu sensor info on this and vice versa.

Not used the ME221, mixed reviews by guys on here like you say. I’ll have to have a play with one one day. 

1 hour ago, RobSR said:

I can support you with the Link stuff if needed as we can supply, but yes it will work out more expensive. Monsoon is worth looking at, but doesn’t have the onboard lambda stuff.

Has CAN so you can send out ecu sensor info on this and vice versa.

Not used the ME221, mixed reviews by guys on here like you say. I’ll have to have a play with one one day. 

I like the safety the link can offer, just not the price tag lol. And i also like the ease of the ME, had a play with both of the programs. But knowing theres someone on here that can help with the wiring of the link it does open that door up again. Decisions decisions 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:25 PM, HedgeyGedgey said:

I like the safety the link can offer, just not the price tag lol. And i also like the ease of the ME, had a play with both of the programs. But knowing theres someone on here that can help with the wiring of the link it does open that door up again. Decisions decisions 

You can’t put a price on engine protection though! 

Nice thing is if you ever move on to a different car after, you can move the ecu across and continue to use it. With a ME you can’t. Just another thought :)

On 8/26/2018 at 3:22 PM, RobSR said:

You can’t put a price on engine protection though! 

Nice thing is if you ever move on to a different car after, you can move the ecu across and continue to use it. With a ME you can’t. Just another thought :)

As its a road car that I'll bring to the odd track day, I need it to function as OEM. I've heard the cold starts on Link can be tricky to get right? Especially if you have aggressive cams and big injectors on our tiny CC engine