Hi guys, been doing a bit of reading around the centre diffs and wanted to check my understanding with you. 

As i understand it, the viscous coupling will only transmit power to the rear wheels when there is a speed differential between the front and rear. So driving in a straight line the rear wheels rotate on their own and the coupling is not transmitting any power to the rear. The car is essentially operating as a front wheel drive. 

But when traction is lost on the front, the viscous coupling will transmit power to the rear. This would occur when launching. 

Have i got this right? Or is the coupling always transmitting power to the rear and will increase / decrease it on a front / rear speed differential? And how does this tie in with the 60/40 split?

Sorry I figure this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find the right answers. 

Heath

exactly right...the coupling only engages when the front wheels turn faster than the rear like you say. so if theres no wheelspin then the coupling never engages - theres no need to. during a hard launch it will engage the rear wheels if the front break traction (quite likely with a td04 setup) then when the car is moving and all wheels are spinning at an equal rate the coupling disengages reverting the car back to fwd meaning you get the best of both worlds...a 4wd launch and at higher speed the car doesnt lose as much power through the transmission meaning more acceleration. its a brilliant and clever system in my opinion

Edited by richglanzav