C160 Gearbox

A 6-Speed Manual Transmission for FWD cars, and includes an optional helical limited slip differential. Transmissions with an identification code ending with 12C are LSD equipped. Code ending with 12A are non-LSD. The 12C gearbox can also be identified by the larger, cast end casing as the 12A are slightly smaller and not cast. A Limited Slip Differential is offered only in the Levin BZ-R and Trueno BZ-R.

Gear ratios for this transmission

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

Reverse

Final

195/50/15 Tyres at 7250rpm Limiter

C52 (GT Box):

C160 (AE111):

1st: 38mph

2nd: 63mph

3rd: 92mph

4th: 124mph

5th: 148mph

1st: 38mph

2nd: 59mph

3rd: 81mph

4th: 103mph

5th: 132mph

6th: 166mph

At 70mph C52 is 3600rpm and the C160 is 3100rpm, 2800rpm at 60mph in 6th

C160 are however said to be a weaker box.

APPLICATIONS

·         Toyota Corolla AE111

·         Toyota Corolla AE101 Wagon (1997 onwards (BZ models only)

·         Toyota Corolla AE111 Carib

·         Toyota Corolla AE111 GT

·         Toyota Carina AT210 GT

·         Toyota Levin BZR (20 valve Blacktop engine)

Fitting to a 4efe Engine

C series gearboxes have interchangeable bell housings so swapping the C52 bell housing onto the C160 gearbox makes it bolt straight on, the gearbox mounts are also a straight swap as well as gear cables. The only thing you have to modify is the shifter as reverse is next to first on this box. Just need to notch some plastic from the shifter housing.

When changing the speed sensor ti the starlet wire type do not use the c160 bolt instead use the bolt from the starlet gearbox. As the c160 bolt is too long and this will crack the casing when tightening. 

*All of this information is taken from various websites and forums so of it may be inaccurate*

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Im running this gearbox  c160 bzr

It's my first starlet turbo and Im really. Very impressed. I was just reading up on the gt and glanza box and must admit its a strange gearbox the gear gaps are some of the biggest I've ever seen. It's got me alittle confused. 

I think the 5th gear is a economy overdrive only gear to bring down cruz rpm at 60 70 80 mph. Japan run a strick 110kph speed limit, which is a god send for these cars. The car shape and design will hit a massive drag resistance around 120mph requiring big hp and torque to increase speed past this point. 

The long gearing Im puzzled at with a ct9 stand system I can only ashume it was seen to be unsafe with shorter better accelerating gears and diff. Combo. Which no manufactures want the cars to be know as killers. 

From the information I've gathered the corrola c series gearboxes are the best ratio's for acceleration but topspeeds are lowered. The c series box design here in most examples is heavy car/ small engine cc. These gearboxes will also increase reliability, they have the capability to reduce engine loading if used effectivly. With the c63 and c64 and C160 the exception. The C160 is geared to improve torque because the 4age produces high hp low torque levels. 

The c64 and c63 being true short racing boxes and the best option in my opinion. The fact its found in the lotus the example. 

Is any body running the 63 or 64 gearbox I need to talk to you.

Edited by Sam44
  • 3 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, Sam44 said:

Im running this gearbox  c160 bzr

It's my first starlet turbo and Im really. Very impressed. I was just reading up on the gt and glanza box and must admit its a strange gearbox the gear gaps are some of the biggest I've ever seen. It's got me alittle confused. 

I think the 5th gear is a economy overdrive only gear to bring down cruz rpm at 60 70 80 mph. Japan run a strick 110kph speed limit, which is a god send for these cars. The car shape and design will hit a massive drag resistance around 120mph requiring big hp and torque to increase speed past this point. 

The long gearing Im puzzled at with a ct9 stand system I can only ashume it was seen to be unsafe with shorter better accelerating gears and diff. Combo. Which no manufactures want the cars to be know as killers. 

From the information I've gathered the corrola c series gearboxes are the best ratio's for acceleration but topspeeds are lowered. The c series box design here in most examples is heavy car/ small engine cc. These gearboxes will also increase reliability, they have the capability to reduce engine loading if used effectivly. With the c63 and c64 and C160 the exception. The C160 is geared to improve torque because the 4age produces high hp low torque levels. 

The c64 and c63 being true short racing boxes and the best option in my opinion. The fact its found in the lotus the example. 

Is any body running the 63 or 64 gearbox I need to talk to you.

Can you possibly help and let me know what lsd fits my e11 1.3 4efe g6 corolla? 

Edited by pamarakos
2 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

The Jdm ep82 GT turbo and ep91 glanza lsd units fit. 

Thank you Sam....far less options since all the ads around are for celica and mr2 lsd but...at least I found out what fits:) As far as using it...it's better to go with helical like quaife for evey day use and little street racing and spirited driving...no track use here:) Also there was a 41301-10071 factory toyota oem lsd for these boxes....but not anywhere found anymore:)

Yeh there very rare the factory lsd units these have a different right side drive shaft (shorter) on the starlet so becarfull if you get offered 1 of these.

Yep the MR2, Celica, vvti corrola drive shafts are different and the differential bolt holes are different. 

8 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

Yeh there very rare the factory lsd units these have a different right side drive shaft (shorter) on the starlet so becarfull if you get offered 1 of these.

Yep the MR2, Celica, vvti corrola drive shafts are different and the differential bolt holes are different. 

Only the facelift e11 (kind of vvti too) share the same differential with all the previous, e12 and newer models are the next "batch":) Glad we figured it out:) Kaaz or Quaife for everyday use and little street racing?