Ep82 handbrake cables

Hey,

handbrake pulls up and seems to get tight but car still just rolls away so guessing I need a handbrake cable change

just wondereing where the best place to purchase new cables is as not the easiest to find it seems

cheers guys 

Check the condition of the rear calipers first also  if you get someone to pull the handbrake and you watch to make sure the cable is pulling and releasing the little arm it pulls on the caliper. The rear calipers need kept ontop of on these cars now as they are old. every year I unbolt mine, clean and regrease the sliders, then check the piston moves easily and is still in good condition and get some red rubber grease in the lip of the piston. If the piston has pitting on the sides of it its time for a new one and seals.

37 minutes ago, Bean said:

Check the condition of the rear calipers first also  if you get someone to pull the handbrake and you watch to make sure the cable is pulling and releasing the little arm it pulls on the caliper. The rear calipers need kept ontop of on these cars now as they are old. every year I unbolt mine, clean and regrease the sliders, then check the piston moves easily and is still in good condition and get some red rubber grease in the lip of the piston. If the piston has pitting on the sides of it its time for a new one and seals.

As the man said, great comment

+1 for bean's comments

on a side note, these ep82/91 handbrakes were never the best even when in good condition. I try to keep mine on decent condition as well, but i've long given up on them locking properly, especially on slopes---i'd advice you keep something close-by to prop the car in hills even if you park in a gear, or learn to run fast and dive through the car window for quick entry like dukes of hazzard :D

Edited by gorganl2000
8 hours ago, LeonL said:

So if the arms being pulled by the cable the issue is Caliper related 

if the arm isn’t moving it’s cable related? Or still possible to be the Caliper?

cheers guys

Pretty much. If you havent had the calipers off to check the condition of the pistons and seals you best have a look and be prepared to order a rebuild kit, or order one anyway as chances are you will need it at some point before long. If you get someone to slowly press the brake pedal once you have the caliper off you can get the piston out a bit more to check the condition and then wind it back in with a rewind tool. Or rebuild them and your good for a while. Its always good to get the piston wound right out then wind it right back in as just under normal braking and the hand brake the piston only ever moves a tiny amount so they can seize.

When its back together remember to pump the brake pedal a good few times until its nice and hard before using the handbrake or driving the car, saves a suprise at the first junction!

Also watch out for a seized cable, had this happen on an EP3, we thought the caliper was at fault but the cable had seized. it doesn't sound like your issue just something to be aware of.

24 minutes ago, Bean said:

Also watch out for a seized cable, had this happen on an EP3, we thought the caliper was at fault but the cable had seized. it doesn't sound like your issue just something to be aware of.

Could be that to as the starlets are getting old like myself lol

Best way to keep your rear calipers in good working order, dont use the handbrake for prolonged periods of time especially during freezing tempretures When you park up keep the handbrake down and leave the car in gear. 

• 3 months later...

Removed them and turns out to be a mixture of poor calipers and cables.

ive done a search and can’t seem to find an old topic (maybe from toyotagt forums) that had a picture step by step guide to rebuilding. Anyone have a link?