Which alarm/ security should I fit?

Hello,

my beloved EP70 got broken into and almost stolen last Monday (it is now at Toyota to be repaired). (they ripped out the lock cylinder from the door and destroyed the panel near ignition)

Once I get it back I want to fit it with an alarm system. I tried to search the forum and googling alot, but I would like your opinion on which one is the best, considering I do not have central locking and such.

Also I would like to get notification on the phone in case the alarm set off as well. 

If anyone have any other security tips they are more than welcome. I would like to keep my car :(

(I live in Sweden, if that makes any difference)

Thanks in advance for any help

No unlikely. You need a bolt on steering wheel.

My advice, keep the original steering wheel in a box somewhere. Either invest in a retro looking wheel, or something that resonates with you, ultimately when you move on from this car, you can take that wheel with you. It's a nice little touch and worth spending decent money on from that perspective.

I know it's heart wrenching to have your pride and joy tampered with.

ah okay because I do want to keep it stock :( but I was considering buying this steering wheel lock (it's the only one which is approved here in sweden)

https://www.if-sakerhet.se/godkand-rattkrycka-megalockr-twin.html

Also what do you think about hawk car alarms? I don't need anything fancy with remote start and such, only thing I want to add is tracking/getting a notification.

https://www.hawkcaralarm.com/catalog/car-alarms-central-lock-engine-immobiliser-dual-zone-ultrasonic-sensor

The problem I have with car alarms.

They tend to go wrong. They tend to go off for no apparent reason.

People don't care that an alarm is going off and find it more of a nuisance.

People don't stop thieves when the alarm is going off.

Alarms can be bypassed, removed/deleted subverted. They give a false sense of security.

I've had vehicles stolen before and know what it's like, thinking an alarm would do the trick. But personally I found it impacted my enjoyment of the vehicle more than I got security from it. Constantly worried about leave the car, for the alarm to just go off and with me nowhere to disable it. Had that a few times when coming back to my vehicle to see the alarm going crazy.

Yes I have also thought about that, maybe fake alarm with decals and steering wheel lock and such will be enough to keep the thieves away? and then to just add a tracking device which could react on sound or vibration (old android phone maybe?)

It's all good in theory, but you need credit on the SIM. The SIM needs to be active else it gets cut off, this all requires power, modern phones need low voltage 5V's as opposed to the 12V system in the car. It needs to be live 24/7, depending on how often you use the car this can drain the battery. You need to guarantee it actually works, benefits of buying a product for £800 is that it's well tested.

Wheel clamps and steering clamps are always a good shout. At the end of the day, thieves want it bad enough they'll take it, you're just trying to make it a deterrent and let them move on to someone else's car.

yes that is true. I bought this now as it had good reviews: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TKSTAR-tk905-Car-Vehicle-GPS-Car-GSM-Magnet-Hidden-Spy-Waterproof-Tracker/323276976475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

When I get my car back from Toyota I will invest in some steering wheel lock and decals :)

Thanks for all the help

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 3:24 AM, glanzadude said:

can you let me know how you find the tracker to as i could do with one too thanks

I received the tracker and installed a Sim card.

The tracker holds battery well (mine was 5000mAh), I have only charged it once and it is still at 90%, and if I need to charge it I use my powerbank. 

• The tracker has a magnet so it is easy to hide it in the car, and it will stay put. 
  • It is quite accurate, I parked it and it remains on the spot when I check the map
  • It has vibration alarm (might take some time to figure out but works well) if car shakes (like closing a door or someone sits in it) the tracker sends a text to my phone.
  • It has geo fence, which means that if it goes out from 100m radius from where it was parked, it will send a text to warn me.
  • If you call the unit it will wake it up and send location data by text
  • There is an app for it where you can change settings and such.
  • Live tracking is good, also you can track all your previous journeys as well.

That's all I can think of now, Please ask if you have any further questions regarding it. 

• 2 months later...