Starter motor not clearing flywheel

Has anyone had any problems with there starter motor not clearing the flywheel.

It’s an EP85 with a 4efte engine and orc flywheel and clutch kit. Starter motor number 28100-10040

I bought the car with the conversion already done but they couldn’t get the car going. Found out the wiring loom was a mismatch of 4efe and 4efte loom. So have now fixed that.

Turn the car over by hand and half the flywheel teeth will hit the starter but the other half doesn’t. Car won’t start when the starter and flywheel touch just doesn’t mesh. It will however start when flywheel isn’t touching but still hits the starter every half rotation for the brief time I let it run. 

Took everything off and all looks ok to eye. Tried doing a runout reading off the back of flywheel and if my gauge is correct looks like it has a run out of 3mm.

I dont have another flywheel to put on but think it may just be that.

On some cars the drive ring is a separate item pressed on, maybe that been knocked and moved. 

I can't see a flywheel being warped, not a factory one anyway way to much material there to warp, plus they're a cast item so would more likely crack.

All the mating surfaces were clean between crank and flywheel? 

1 hour ago, TrisK said:

You wont be able to use a ORC clutch with a standard flywheel i dont think

thats correct, iirc the stock flywheel has 6 bolts for the clutch where as the orc has 9

• 2 weeks later...