Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LeonL

Apexi power fc ep82 ecu

Recommended Posts

Hey, 

just a question about ecu’s.

 

a friend has a Apexi power fc with harness for ep82 and hand commander. At mates rates I’m looking at £350ish to purchase it from him. He has few more mods then me so I’d need to map it to my own car, or match my car to his spec.

Would anything else apart from a remap he required to chuck this on my car? Map sensors ect? Maf?

I understand this is a old ecu so my question is whether or not it’s still a worthwhile and viable purchase in today’s tuning world? Would I be able to find much else that’s better for the price? 

 

I know theres a lot of newer options but for the similar price I can’t find anything worth having.

 

cheers guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeonL said:

Hey, 

just a question about ecu’s.

 

a friend has a Apexi power fc with harness for ep82 and hand commander. At mates rates I’m looking at £350ish to purchase it from him. He has few more mods then me so I’d need to map it to my own car, or match my car to his spec.

Would anything else apart from a remap he required to chuck this on my car? Map sensors ect? Maf?

I understand this is a old ecu so my question is whether or not it’s still a worthwhile and viable purchase in today’s tuning world? Would I be able to find much else that’s better for the price? 

 

I know theres a lot of newer options but for the similar price I can’t find anything worth having.

 

cheers guys

Hi Leon,

In regards to fitting it to your car it will be easy to move across if yours is also an EP82? If its a EP91 its still possible but some of the wiring will need to be modified. You wont need a MAF sensor, its worth asking your friend for his MAP sensor if its different to the options available in the software as it may save you the work of having to re scale it in the Power FC if its been done before. Its easily do able just a bit of a faff.

The calibration would then need to be modified to suit your car on the dyno. If you need assistance with this please drop me a PM.

The ECU is now old tech like you say, however if its in working order, for £350 you arent going to find anything better really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant, that’s the info I was after.

one last question, due to this being quite an old ecu now are they prone to failure in anyway? Burning out, wiring messing up, solder needing redoing and so on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use a map sensor off a celica gt4. It has the same housing and connectors as the starlet map sensor so its plug and play but the tuner will have to scale it accordingly. The only difference on the sensor is the gt4 has a purple sticker instead of orange like the EPs. Bargain at £350

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, H_D said:

You can use a map sensor off a celica gt4. It has the same housing and connectors as the starlet map sensor so its plug and play but the tuner will have to scale it accordingly. The only difference on the sensor is the gt4 has a purple sticker instead of orange like the EPs. Bargain at £350

Is a map sensor required? Or can I just use the standard one on the car already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LeonL said:

Is a map sensor required? Or can I just use the standard one on the car already?

you can use the stock map sensor but if you are planning to run high boost/power then the GT4 map sensor is your best option, if I remember correctly the EP map sensor is 1.1bar sensor and the gt4 is 1.8bar sensor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive not looked at the map sensor scaling in the AP Engineering modded PFCs, but all the 4efte ones were based on the SW20/3SGTE so the map sensor may already be in there.

As with any old electronics things can fail etc, but if its working now fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeonL said:

Sweet cheers guys

No probs, let us know how you get on! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How hard would this ecu be to map just to make car driveable with ecu fitted? 

Previous owner says it’s mapped for forged engine, td04 and 550cc injectors. I’d be standard injectors, td04/tf035 and non forged engine.

id only want car driveable to drive to proper mapping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drive it to the dyno on the original ecu, then swap the Power FC in there. Only takes 5 mins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×