Thinking of going forged 5E

Depends what you want from the car and how you want to drive it.

5E's dont rev as nicely as a 4E becasuse of the longer stroke. Yes youll gain a little torque but that can easily be worked around on a 4E with the correct setup.

If youre gonna spend £2500-£3000 building a 5E, then put a £50 TD05 on it, you are better saving your money and spending that on a suitable turbo setup for your 4E.

2 hours ago, RobSR said:

Depends what you want from the car and how you want to drive it.

5E's dont rev as nicely as a 4E becasuse of the longer stroke. Yes youll gain a little torque but that can easily be worked around on a 4E with the correct setup.

If youre gonna spend £2500-£3000 building a 5E, then put a £50 TD05 on it, you are better saving your money and spending that on a suitable turbo setup for your 4E.

It’s going to be a fast road setup, don’t really plan on tracking it, my engine is standard internals and quite high mileage. I heard about them not revving as nicely but do like the sound of a bit more off boost torque. I think either way I go it will be a hybrid TD04 setup aiming for high 200. Cheers for the replies

As soon as I let the clutch out for the first time on my 5e I knew it was the right choice, such a better drive. I ran a Vf35 at 1.5 bar and it was lag free just instant boost. If I was building another engine I wouldn't waste may time with a 4e. That's why I've got a spare 5e in the garage.

4 hours ago, Bean said:

As soon as I let the clutch out for the first time on my 5e I knew it was the right choice, such a better drive. I ran a Vf35 at 1.5 bar and it was lag free just instant boost. If I was building another engine I wouldn't waste may time with a 4e. That's why I've got a spare 5e in the garage.

What sort of power were you making with that?

people keep talking about how 5e's dont like to rev...this is myth. you can rev to 8.5K rpm safely. in most cases 7.5K- 8k rpm is ample for most builds as most would use small frame turbos. if you plan to make over 275bhp...then it doesn't matter if you choose 4e/5e..you'd still need to forge for reliability...so, IF exceeding this power...by all means a forged 5e will be better than 4e any day...

12 hours ago, Healey said:

What sort of power were you making with that?

made 324bhp 2wd on a local dyno with the prop removed and 302bhp on tuning developments dyno running 4wd but the mapping was never finished and there was still improvements which could have been made. If I remember later I will post the graphs if your interested.

1 hour ago, Bean said:

made 324bhp 2wd on a local dyno with the prop removed and 302bhp on tuning developments dyno running 4wd but the mapping was never finished and there was still improvements which could have been made. If I remember later I will post the graphs if your interested.

Yeah that would be brilliant thanks, it’s would be nice to see the difference in the power curve

4 hours ago, wickedep said:

people keep talking about how 5e's dont like to rev...this is myth. you can rev to 8.5K rpm safely. in most cases 7.5K- 8k rpm is ample for most builds as most would use small frame turbos. if you plan to make over 275bhp...then it doesn't matter if you choose 4e/5e..you'd still need to forge for reliability...so, IF exceeding this power...by all means a forged 5e will be better than 4e any day...

Sounds like I’m going 5E then, and I suppose I’ll be needing a nice manifold for it ;)

39 minutes ago, Healey said:

Yeah that would be brilliant thanks, it’s would be nice to see the difference in the power curve

they should be in here my old build thread.

Yeah definitely go 5e. other than getting a 5e block there isn't really any extra costs other than a 3e clutch so you can fit the 4e clutch to it and I got the 3 holes drilled and tapped for the turbo oil filter housing so I could fit the studs like oem, then a 15mm spacer for the power steering bracket I think I used.

11 hours ago, wickedep said:

Its not they don't like to rev, they don't rev as nicely in my opinion.

At 8000rpm 4e piston speed is apprx 4062 fpm, a 5e is 4566 fpm, so a noticeable apprx. 5mph if converted. (or 12% quicker v 4e)

This is why all high rev'ing engines have a very short stroke. Look at F1 engines for example, usually the stroke is half the bore. a CA 's piston speed at 20000rpm is just over 5000 fpm and that was deem'd crazily high.

There is pro's and con's to both @Healey so decide how you want to drive the car, then choose the engine, i look at the physics/science not just the 'it feels ok'.

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

As long as you know what you're doing ;)

Need anything let me know, machining wise, advice etc

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on it and it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time so I’m going to give it a go, thanks I’ll keep you in mind because I’ll be getting the machining done sometime next year