Lads and Lassies

Look what a gem I've found on ads last Fri!

20190301_224114.thumb.jpg.94b8c915c3202a3880f0f0216d09335b.jpg

I bought it straight away (€45=£39) lol. It's a real leather and old school. Even if it lands on my garage wall I'll be happy (after cleaning and painting its spokes of course - silver/chrome/clear???).

20190301_224153.thumb.jpg.49edb4e2ed98914a4cc57247facf98ac.jpg

Look at the condition of the stitching - it's actually perfect!

20190301_224123.thumb.jpg.0594f33f393b1649d871019a5663e94a.jpg4

This Lad told me that his uncle had it in his KP60... might be true?

Looks like a very high genuine Toyota quality and even the plastics and mid button are 100%.

20190301_224630.thumb.jpg.8dd922dbc00a50fea13433b410c0c628.jpg

The ad was saying that the horn was working OK when last time fitted. I do expect some parts might be missing...

I know nothing about that kind of vintage/old school steering wheels so please have a look and tell me what you think?

20190301_224649.thumb.jpg.169aa1e0e84f8380eb666ed4146783fe.jpg

It would be lovely if I can get that fitted in my N/A EP91 so where do I start?

20190301_224300.thumb.jpg.005ce8be6cb8c5dea8a50d09d687a29f.jpg

I know that the style is from a completely different era and not matching the 90's EP91 design but still I reckon it would be a nice tribute to its vintage predecessors and looked interesting when fitted?

20190301_224123.thumb.jpg.9ce684c90868ef844701405989ae7217.jpg

HOW TO GET THAT FITTED?!? I presume I need some sort of 'boss kit' but know nothing about that yet... How to delete air bag too?

20190301_224422.thumb.jpg.5efb6aa21bd71d6c09f213389fe2ceee.jpg

Please advice / direct me as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

20190301_224537.thumb.jpg.af9e5385abeff1f1454d2678ab511260.jpg

It feels sporty and sturdy (weights 1kg), thickness is also just perfect.

20190301_224208.thumb.jpg.073c3590beaef86f44752f7173d1b8bc.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Yyyy..English please?;))

You mean custom adaptor? To go from what size/pattern to what? If it was for old Toyota I'd presume there are ready to fit adaptors on the market, no?

Sounds like a really challenging exercise;(

I doubt it, by the looks of it, that fits directly to the column. Where as later models tend to have a boss mounted to the column

HUBsport-STEERING-WHEEL-BOSS-KIT-FOR-TOY

You would want a Starlet boss that can accept a variety of aftermarket steering wheels.

WB_standard-boss_1.jpg

Then an adaptor plate made up to mount your wheel to that boss safely.

I would imagine. I literally have no idea and am just guessing though.

@Rob H@RCH Engineering Would be able to fabricate this for you no problem. If you sent him the wheel I'm sure he could get access to a starlet column to try it out against!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, Rob H@RCH Engineering said:

I definitely could come up with something but I would need the wheel to work from.

Much appreciated, thanks for all the help. I'm based in Ireland so I need to try to find someone locally to look at it...

On 3/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, Calum122 said:

I doubt it, by the looks of it, that fits directly to the column. Where as later models tend to have a boss mounted to the column

HUBsport-STEERING-WHEEL-BOSS-KIT-FOR-TOY

You would want a Starlet boss that can accept a variety of aftermarket steering wheels.

WB_standard-boss_1.jpg

Then an adaptor plate made up to mount your wheel to that boss safely.

I would imagine. I literally have no idea and am just guessing though.

@Rob H@RCH Engineering Would be able to fabricate this for you no problem. If you sent him the wheel I'm sure he could get access to a starlet column to try it out against!

I am not fully getting you mate I'm afraid...

You said it should fit directly, then that I need a boss kit and then that I need an adaptor plate...

Isn't it direct fit OR boss kit, no?

It won't be a direct fit.

You will need some sort of boss that can take aftermarket wheels.

That will give you something to mount a bespoke adaptor plate to that mates the wheel to the column.

Rob might be clever and have some other clever way of doing it without the boss, but without him physically seeing what he's got to work with, it is difficult to say.

Anything is possible, and you're lucky that there are skills on this site that could make your dream a reality.

12 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

It won't be a direct fit.

You will need some sort of boss that can take aftermarket wheels.

That will give you something to mount a bespoke adaptor plate to that mates the wheel to the column.

Rob might be clever and have some other clever way of doing it without the boss, but without him physically seeing what he's got to work with, it is difficult to say.

Anything is possible, and you're lucky that there are skills on this site that could make your dream a reality.

Cheers Calum

Any advice is there any way to measure this wheel and start looking at boss kits (what kits you guys using?) - it looks it's a toyota wheel so it cannot be too many standards there (I presume it's a similar thing to a PCD when buying alloys;) @Rob H@RCH Engineering

16 minutes ago, Di_Bodi said:

Cheers Calum

Any advice is there any way to measure this wheel and start looking at boss kits (what kits you guys using?) - it looks it's a toyota wheel so it cannot be too many standards there (I presume it's a similar thing to a PCD when buying alloys;) @Rob H@RCH Engineering

The important part, is finding a boss that safely mounts to the column.

And then fabricating the adaptor to plate from there.

Like you say, it might just bolt onto the column without anywork. I have no experience. You would need to start tearing down your column to find out.

Here is a photo of my EP80 column next to my EP82 Column from when I did the Non-PAS conversion.

jSm9Pxq.jpg

See the blue boss on my 82 column for aftermarket wheels.

Notethe uniqueness of the EP80 shaft.

It's not likely to just fit.

8 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

The important part, is finding a boss that safely mounts to the column.

And then fabricating the adaptor to plate from there.

Like you say, it might just bolt onto the column without anywork. I have no experience. You would need to start tearing down your column to find out.

Here is a photo of my EP80 column next to my EP82 Column from when I did the Non-PAS conversion.

jSm9Pxq.jpg

See the blue boss on my 82 column for aftermarket wheels.

Notethe uniqueness of the EP80 shaft.

It's not likely to just fit.

Thanks again!

The worst case scenario it will land on my garage wall;)

Have you actually tried to fit this yet tho ??? The funny shape bit behind the wheel will hook into yours to cancel the Indies, as for a horn you'd have to fit a separate switch, that wheel looks like it will go straight on ?

4 hours ago, SKINY said:

Have you actually tried to fit this yet tho ??? The funny shape bit behind the wheel will hook into yours to cancel the Indies, as for a horn you'd have to fit a separate switch, that wheel looks like it will go straight on ?

I've never got passed the boss. But I agree, I think it may just fit.