ME221 ECU - 3 Port Boost Control

Hi guys,

I've just bought an ME221 for my GT, and starting to get bits and bobs to prep the car for a remap. I want to buy a 3 port boost control solenoid to connect to the oem Hi/Low Boost control.

To my knowledge, the oem boost control solenoid was ripped out a long time ago, so I was just wondering how I would plumb/wire in a the 3 port to work with the stock boost button and the ME221?

Thanks

Edited by Djaniero

The button is a switch input to the ECU so technically has nothing to do with the boost solenoid itself.

I use the button to switch boost tables on the Link ECU install's i do.

The ECU then outputs the PWM to the boost solenoid from a separate pin on the ECU. (CON-1 Pin 15.)

Ive not personally used an ME221 but as its sold as PnP you'd hope they have kept this functionality. But yes you'll need your original boost solenoid wiring for a PnP solution. If its been ripped out, +12v to one side of the solenoid from EFI circuit, other side to CON-1 Pin 15 on the ECU is how its done in stock form.

Its still all connected on the electrical/cabin side Rob i.e.I can still press the boost button and I can see the green light go on and off on the dash. I think its the original solenoid that was ripped on on the engine side, when my mechanic did my td04 conversion.

Yes for sure, but that still doesn’t signify it’s connected to the ecu. The ecu doesn’t control the dash control logic and led illumination.

If it’s ripped out, re install how I said above :)

Thanks Rob. Is this simple enough to do - I'm pants with electrics - or should I just hang fire and wait for the remap and ask my tuner to do it?

I've running a td04 setup with all supporting mods below fuel cut atm.  I was just going to add some rx8 injectors then get it remapped. You can download base maps off the ME website from what I can gather, but will the car be ok to drive to the tuners - depending on what afs I'm getting on my wideband?

It’s pretty simple, but if not yes you can ask your tuner to do it.

As it’s a VE based ECU, technically you can just update the injector size in the calibration to the CC of the RX8 ones, however I would still wait to fit them until you’re at the dyno. 

You can download basemaps, last time I checked the firing order, engine cc and stock injector cc was wrong amongst other things so I wouldn’t assume it’s a complete good to go calibration. 

If its TD04 under fuel cut, you could drive to your tuner on stock ecu, then fit the ME there when on the dyno and do it all in one go. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, RobSR said:

It’s pretty simple, but if not yes you can ask your tuner to do it.

As it’s a VE based ECU, technically you can just update the injector size in the calibration to the CC of the RX8 ones, however I would still wait to fit them until you’re at the dyno. 

You can download basemaps, last time I checked the firing order, engine cc and stock injector cc was wrong amongst other things so I wouldn’t assume it’s a complete good to go calibration. 

If its TD04 under fuel cut, you could drive to your tuner on stock ecu, then fit the ME there when on the dyno and do it all in one go. 

Makes more sense to be honest. Thanks 8)

On 5/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, motorsport-electronics said:

ECU uses stock boost switch as a digital input that yes, can switcvh boost maps if you want it to :)

Apologies for the noob question...but does that mean I will have 2 separate maps for high and low boost? Also will I need  one of the 3 bar map sensors on your site if I plan to go over 14psi of boost?

Edited by Djaniero
14 hours ago, Djaniero said:

Makes more sense to be honest. Thanks 8)

Apologies for the noob question...but does that mean I will have 2 separate maps for high and low boost? Also will I need  one of the 3 bar map sensors on your site if I plan to go over 14psi of boost?

You can have it off one fuel map, but 2 different boost tables.

If you want to go over 14psi, yes you will need a 3 bar map sensor.

On 5/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, motorsport-electronics said:

Hi Rob, basemaps are from running cars - can you let me know stock injector and engine CC and will update this for our next round of basemap egeneration

Stock injector are 295cc and engine capacity is 1331cc

In the basemap you have 285cc, 1290cc 

If you want a second hand map sensor i have a Toyota ST205 3 bar map sensor i'll sell cheap, i am not using it.

That used to be the done thing back in the day on a Starlet.

I went for a 4bar Link one.

A mate of mine has one on his GT running a Power FC. He said they're more of a  2.5bar map sensor....which will be fine for my needs. Can you tell me what the part number is and how much you were after for it?

PM me if its easier.

Thanks

Maybe this isn't a GT4 sensor.

All I know is it was the map sensor on this GT I am rebuilding.

Its a black MK2, white bonnet, was running well over 300bhp, it won the TOTB a couple years.

Fella called Mike owned it, there might be a build thread.

• 7 months later...

As it’s a PnP I presume ME made it to run with the stock wiring? I don’t map ME so they’ll need to confirm. If so, remove your stock solenoid and replace with the 3 port. Doesnt matter what way round you wire it. One side is 12v from EFI relay other side runs to ECU 

If wiring has been removed, go with what I said in my original reply at the top as that’s how it’s done stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys, 

I plugged my ecu in today and tried to download a base map.However there is no base map on the me221 site for a black board gen1 ecu, only the white board ecu. 

Anyone have any ideas how I can get around this or do ME need to update their basemaps? 

Thanks 

Edited by Djaniero