Hi guys.

Recently I have annoying problem with my 5 door M/T 97' Starlet.

It refuse to start immediatly, only after 10 turns of strater. After it starts, the engine is trembling on low rpm for sec or two and afterwards it goes normal.

Last week I did ultrasonic injector clean, twice. Nada.

We also did a "leak test" at 4 bar (higher pressure then normal) but it seems that they all OK.

If the engine is runnig, I turn it off for 5-10 minutes and start again - no problem.

If the engine is runnig, I turn it off for 1-4 hours and try to start it again - difficult to start.

Does somebody knows for sure if the fuel pump should begin building pressure at minute the switch is on the "ON" position or it strats building pressure just after the engine is runnig? somebody told me that the fuel pump in the EP91 starts building up pressure just after the engine rpm is at least 400, but i found no avidence that support it.

Thanks guys!

Itamar.

hhhh sounds like you got a bit of a prob there ok, try this next morning when you go out to the car ( 10 min early) before you do out take each plug out (ht leads) and give it and the top of the spark plug( no need to take the sparker out just spray down the bore,) a spray with wd40 just a spray thoe not a dowsing just like on off lol then do the other end of the HT lead, then try to start it agen

as my one had a bit of condensation on it when i got it and did this

Hi guys and thanks for answering.

Well, it doeswnt seems like a contact problems of the HT leads or spark plugs since they both new (10K km) and original, and there are no problems at all during driving and at morning start (I woke up today at 6:00 just to check how the engine starts! at 10 it's pretty hot out there).

No faults at all at the diagnostic checks. I checked the value of the water temprature sensor on hot engine and it was OK, like all the other sensors (I have 4E-FE engine book).

I'm thinking the problem is leaking injector/s. When it's cold the engine starts with no problem - it needs more fuel so leakage is helpful. When it's hot the over-fuel is doing a mass. the engine is harder to start and the air-fuel mixture is not correct, this is why it takes few secounds for the engine to correct itself. The problem occured before the ultrasonic clean procedure and got worse afterwards, sorry for did'nt mention it at first post.

I think the best solution for my 11-years-old-hard-life-200,000-km-Toyota are 4 brand new injectors. Cheapy cheap on EBAY.

Thanks for the willing to help! <_<

Itamar.

The originals o-rings have been replaced. the lower rubber injector shock absorber will be replace ass soon as my new injectors will arrive.

I've found out that the 96-99 4E-FE Starlet's and 96-98 5E-FE Paseo's use the same injectors, so I've orderd 4 OEM specs new ones from the US (40$ each). Original ones cost 140$ each.

If that won't solve the problem I'll check the coolant temprature sender, but again, since it got worse after the ultrasonic clean, I'm pretty sure it's faulty injector/s.

I'll keep update.

Itamar.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...