Nice motor ;) .

Anything on the 1st & 2nd gear restriction? or what you might believe to be restriction

In regards to this restriction thing i was under the impression in was restricted in 1st AND 2nd gear? In my car 1st boosts to about 0.3 bar then 2nd to 0.65 then the rest to 0.7. Seems 2nd is not really restricted at all. Should 2nd be more restricted or have i got confused somewhere?
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet car mate.. ive heard a few horror stories about cars on the RO RO in the docks. was told that sometimes if a car doesnt start they will give it a "gentle" nudge off the boat with a car behind it :( argh.. could have been what happened ?

• 1 month later...

Quick update of how things are now.....

I got the exhaust sorted and put where it should be, the middle box was caved in so had that cut out and a pipe put in its place also had a new flex section for the front as that was caved in. Wasnt happy about it a first but love it now, really opened the exhaust noise up. Its still quiet enough when normally driving but on boost it sounds mental, love it. I then managed to get a RX7 tmic, put that on and it really opened up the top end pulled lots more upto the red line and boost didnt drop off. After that i got an sps decat pipe, got that installed so now running a turbo back. Sounds savage on boost now with the decat. Installing the decat left me whith boost creep issues so i got a toytuning actuator to try and calm things down. It helped a little but defo didnt cure things. So i now have the actuator set to just above .5 bar which then creeps upto .8 bar after around 4000rpm, not too bad when im giving it some but crap if i sudenly want some power and im in the wrong gear. I still manage to flick the engine management light on ever now and again too. So next on the list is getting the wastegate ported and also the manifold, hopefully this will sort everything out and get it running steady.

Took a few pics last night, not tried any night pics before but they came out ok, also got some more Glanza stickers for the rear quarters.

Pics.

IMG_1330.jpg

You can sort of see the rx7 tmic here but ill get some better pics soon

IMG_1325.jpg

You can see that the exhaust is now where it should be and not burning the bumper anymore

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

Then just a few random ones

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

And just a quick on of my old red starlet, my mate owns it now so its cool that i get to see it all the time still....

IMG_1334.jpg

your wheels look the same as my atech final speed rims! havtn read the full thread so not sure if ya found out what they are yet..but there the double of mine apart from the colour! nice car anyway man!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is mint being able to see the n/a all the time and I still drive it now and again, although its really wierd driving it, felt so fast when i owned it but after drving the V all the time its just not the same. My mate has some bits planned so ill update my old thread as and when. Found a few pics on my phone that i had

My zep console

DSC00465.jpg

Also did this to the car the other day

DSC00477.jpg

Was snow foaming it or something, dunno what it was supposed to do but it was proper mint fun, my mate is well into all this detailing stuff so i get to use all his stuff he has. Have also picked up some cheap 14" alloys which i plan to refurb at some point.

What was the result like after the snow foaming?

To be honest I thought it was a waste of time, fun time but still a waste. Car was still filthy after I rinsed it so still had to wash it properly. My mate bangs on how its impotant to do this first to get all big bits of dirt off without scratching the car or something. Dont see it myself but im not into all this detailing stuff.

It softens up the dirt and also removes some, you pressure wash it after and it makes it less likely to cause swirls etc in the paintwork.

I've not used one personally but they seem to be getting quite popular as a pre-wash, they're not meant to entirely wash the car.

More of a downdate than an update. Had to remove the rx7 tmic and go back to the standard one. Have been suffering boost creep none stop, hit fuel cut one too many time and could really drive the car to its full potential without fear of fuel cutting all the time, I was shifting up with the boost gauge rather than the rev meter as it got colder. Its not too bad with the standard tmic, dont hit fuel cut anymore, there is less top end power but I could never get to the top end with the rx7 tmic so nothing gained, nothing lost really, but I can now drive the car how it sould be driven....

Another kick in the balls, was told the car had TRD coilovers when I bought it, when i went to first view it in all the excitement just had a quick look underneath saw the yellow on the shocks and thought nothing of it, TRD coilovers as far as I was concerned. So went to lower it the other day while money is tight, credit crunch and all that. Got the wheel off and though hold on a minuite there is nothing i can adjust here.......seems I just have trd shocks and some random springs (dark blue ones if anyone can shed any light).

They are TRD shocks as they have TRD all over them and are adjustable at the rear damper wise, also the fronts have cusco top mounts so i guess there adjustable to an extent....just wish id looked when i first got it to get some money knocked off....live and learn i guess. Never knew TRD made just shocks for the starlets anyone got any info i can peruse?

Ill try and make the next update an interesting one as my last few have been pretty boring compared to some peoples cars....

Also rear arb has arrived but its a crimbo pressy so got to wait for that one although really looking forward to it....

• 1 month later...

Little update of what ive got done over the winter, slow prgress but it winter isnt it.

Few months back descovered these gems hidden under the dirt, was still having brake issues with them being shite so after finding these I thought it could only be the pads.

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

So I got some fresh standard pads for the back and these for the fronts.

DSC00501.jpg

Braking fixed, solved and bloody perfect, pedal feel is spot on and when i need to slam them on its like hitting a brick wall. They do feel like there murdering the disks though but not a fan of the gooved style ones so will see how long these disks last.

Next up was a little interior update, was getting a bit tired of the interior and whole car feeling dated, always felt i was driving an old car compared to my mates cars so this was a nice updae for the interior and onece completed should feel lots more up to date.

Before

DSC00465.jpg

After

IMG_1374.jpg

This the first bit of diying ive done for a car and i well enjoyed it even though it took ages. The back part that the gauges are in is black perspex so when the gauges are turned off they are smoked and blend in with the shiney black background. Built this from scratch so quite proud of it haha.

Although the current gauges are pretty useless at the moment having rev, boost and volt, they were the easiest to wire in but its all part of the bigger picture. I intend to relocate to boost and rev into a double pilar pod and have oil temp and water temp in the centre console with either the volt or egt, not decided yet.

Next and final thing ive got upto is the rear arb.

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

And foooooooook me I can fully see why people bang on about how good these are, 100% the best mod. Handling is totally transformed, just grip grip grip bugger all understeer just point the nose and off it goes. This combined with the uprated braking (also has an adjustable panhard rod I discovered which my n/a didnt) has fully completed how I want this car to brake and handle. Handling and braking now sorted and out of the way its time for more power.

My future plans are to first get the car feeling more upto date, so going 98 spec front bumper with clear indicator lens' and 98 spec rear lights. Then fmic, i feel these look better with the 98 spec bumper too. After that SPS manifold, jdm ecu and up the boost.

Pic I found from the first day I got her.

P1010489.jpg

Hopefully next update she will be looking rather different to this.

The gauges are 52mm and its a tight squeeze to get 3 52mm gauges down there so the only option was to custom fabricate the holder part.

I got the rear arb as part of a group buy dave at starletgtturbo had going a bit back think it was £130 delivered.....well worth every penny.

• 7 months later...

Dammmn not updated this for so long, its going to take a while so bear with me here, 8 month worth of updates all rolled into one.......

First up, ages ago I picked up a black scoop, clear indicators and a laguna lip and had the car looking like so.......

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

At some point I had these 14" alloys on that I picked up super cheap. Had them on because id murdered the front tyres and could afford repacements at the time and wasnt risking 6 points.......

DSCN1770.jpg

After that, having got the front tyres sorted, i also collected some new bits, Autobahn FMIC, after fitting it I had some crisis and decided i hated the lip, scoop, indicators so it went around like this for a while.

IMG_1453.jpg

Some where inbetween i decided i didnt like the current look so on went the laguna lip again and the clear indicators, the scoop had to stay silver as id lent the black one a mate who then smashed his red one up so had to keep the black one, so silver has to do for now. Cant seem to find a pic for this stage but here is a video instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNwspuknXsc

And a random pic from somewhere.

DSC00022.jpg

Now the fun began......:thumbsup:

IMG_1477.jpg

Along came these for sale as a package for a decent price, fitting the FMIC had given me that urge for more power so though why not and got these....

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

Blitz K1 Blower, Blitz Access ECU mapped for a K1 and a JAM Manifold.

Running 1.1 Bar it was an animal for 2 days untill the clutch couldnt take no more, luckly i had planned for this and had an exedy paddle all lined up ready, so got that in and all was good. This set up is perfect and fulfilling my needs perfectly at the moment. Full boost by 3k and never stops pulling through the revs. Have had some serious fun on the roads with much bigger cars. Although the turbo is spewing plenty of smoke and in need of the seals doing im going to make it last as long as i can.

To add to the more agressive performance I added some JAM eyelids to give it that more agressive look.....

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

This is what id done to my CT9 still boosted fun somehow....

DSC00102.jpg

Next up I came across some 98 spec rears pretty cheap so on the went as well as a few choice stickers. Stripped the rear and added some custom braces. MOT time busted my balls, 2 pages worth of FAIL left me with plenty of fixing to do, burst rear TRD shock had to go so the rear is now on two KYB Excel G's, new bearings up front and loads of other stuff but thankfully got it passed. Which pretty much brings this upto date and here are a load of pics from today....

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

Future plans are in no particular order

Brakes (current one are shagged and disks are pretty warped)

Race Tech Screamer Pipe (K1 and a screamer should sound immense right?)

EBC (boost drops off too much at high revs atm)

Turbo Rebuilt (oil seals are dying)

Im well of pleased what ive achieved, from the start I kinda wanted to do everything to this car myself and see what kind of power i could get with nothing but bolt on mods that i could do myself.

Also power run soon to see what the bitch is really doing.