How 2: Change Your Inlet Manifold

dead easy.

as it says there, you'll need a 10mm spanner/socket, a 12mm spanner/socket, a pair of plyers to get the hose clips off and some penetrating oil (wd40) for all the bolts (before you try to undo them, give them a soaking in some wd40)

-unbolt the inlet mani brace

-disconnect the throttlecable from the adjuster and the throttle body

-unplug the sensors on the t/b

-unbolt the throttlebody (BE CAREFUL! try to save the gasket) (12mm spanner/socket)

-you'll need to pull off one of the coolant hoses that go to the underside of the throttlebody as it goes between two of the runners on the mani. (you'll get a little bit of coolant come out, but not alot) (you'll need plyers for this)

-unbolt the fuel rail (12mm spanner)

-pull off the little vacum hose that attaches to the inlet mani.

-pull the fuel rail upwards to get the injectors out of the head (dont loose the rubber boots!) and move the fuel rail over to one side without disconnecting it (make sure you keep the injectors in the fuel rail and dont loose the fuel rail spacers!! if an injector does come out, stay calm and take your time putting it back in, if you rush, you'll probably chew up one of the o rings that seal it (like i did) and it'll constantly leak fuel)

-pull off the numerious vacum hoses that are on the inlet mani including the one that goes to the cam cover.

-get a 10 or 12mm spanner or socket and undo the inlet mani brace that bolts on underneath

-unbolt the earth thats on the back of the inlet mani

-undo the bolts on the inlet mani (i think theres 5 in total)

-remove the inlet mani without loosing the metal gasket!

-install the new inlet mani

then follow all these in reverse. note;the manifold braces will be the wrong size, so just ditch them. also you'll need to have a slightly longer vacum hose for one of the vacum sensors. and dont forget to bolt on the earth you disconnected thats on the inlet mani!!! there is a hole on the back can bolt it in to, bare in mind it will probably use a 12mm bolt intead of a 10mm so you may need to bore out the hole in the connector slightly.

when you start it again you may find that it idels higher than before, if this is by quite alot it probably means youve forgotten to reconnect one of the vacum lines, so double check them!!

i think thats it! :lol:

Rich.

I need to get some of those fancy ratchet spanners! got some questions

1) Leaky coolant line, can I re-connect striaght back on (after untangling it)? and is it the same circuit as the radiator (so I can just top it up a bit if needed)

2) The small pipe that leads to the sensor on the firewall has something in the pipe (looks like a connector between the too rubber lengths) can I just bin it?

3) The larger vacuum pipe, if I wish to replace them do I need reinforced pipe, or will the 4mm silicone hosing I got of scottishcruiser be enough?

Thanks

1) yeah, just connect it straight back up. i believe it comes off the pipe that runs along the back of the block from the waterpump... so no problem there, you seriously wont lose alot.

2) i think its a valve of some sort, and i kept mine... so i would just keep it to be honest!

3)i used some silicone pipe for a few of those and the bigger bore stuff wasnt up to the task. it just flattened out. so you'll defo need reenforced stuff. the smaller ones like to the sensors, the silicone stuff is fine.

Rich.