Nanglebadger's Guitar Chat

Guitar Chat

Topics of Discussion:

Gear - share pictures of your own guitars and set up

Favourite Players - any genre under the sun, recommend players, rate your favourites, introduce unknown players to the masses

Videos - add links to some truly awesome demonstrations on axe shredding that have inspired you

Rock Out - got a video of yourself playing on YouTube??? Do share!!

Got a guitar related query?? Maybe someone can help!

Seen some new gear landing on the market?? Share your discovery!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, sometime over a year ago Bluebear introduced me to the enigma that is Buckethead, an introduction that has totally changed how I viewed the landscape of great guitar players of the world.

For years I wouldnt hear a bad word said about Kirk Hammett (Metallica) as a lead player, but as I have matured and broadened my guitar-based muical tastes, I have accepted that there are players out there who simply blow the likes of Mr Hammett into the weeds. In terms of rythym players I cant really argue with Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) who noted 4 of the best right hands of all time (in no order) as himself, James Hetfield, Malcolm Young, and Rudi Schenker.

In terms of lead playing however its just a totally different ball-game. For me personally, Buckethead is currently top of the pile, but in recent years I have also encountered Joe Bonamassa, Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge), Michael Angelo Batio, John 5, Jeff Waters (Annihilator), Zack Wylde (Ozzy, Black Label Society), Dave Hole, Dougie MacLean, Gus G, Phil Demmel (Machine Head), Ian Siegal, Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) amongst many many others. Of course, it is wrong to bypass Kirk Hammett and Dave Mustaine, my own muscial collection and fan club memberships and memorabilia collection are a shrine to their work, and it would be nothing short of ignorant if Glen Tipton and KK Downing (Judas Priest) and the Maiden lads were overlooked. Indeed, I could go on forever here about the guitarists in my music collection.

Its no secret that I'm a massive Megadeth, Metallica, Priest and Maiden fan, but in terms of the most recent and most powerful lead influence to capture my obsessions, I would like to take this first major post to introduce some of Buckethead's work to those of you who may not be familiar with his work. His music can be odd and downright noise at times, but the following links will demonstrate just how ridiculously advanced his playing has become. Trained by Paul Gilbert when younger (I believe) he currently tours America rigoursly from what I can find but doesn't seem to venture outside of the States. He records prolifically (I have around 46 various albums of his own, under the name Death Cube K (annagram of Buckethead), Thanatopis, The Deli Creeps, with Les Claypool, Viggo Mortensen, Travis Dickerson, work with Serj Tankian and of course, the infamous Chinese Democracy by Guns 'n' Roses.

I begin with the video that introduced me to Buckethead, Soothsayer, from his 2006 Crime Slunk Scene album, dedicated to his aunt Suz:

This is the closing track from his Buckethead and Friends CD, an instrumental entitled Nottingham Lace. The start of the video isn't great but if you give it to around the 03:50 mark its worth it!

The following shows Buckethead with his custom oversized Flyin V (the guy stands 7" tall, he needs a big guitar!). The video is cut short at the end but its impressive nontheless. Entitled Big Sur Moon from his 1998 Colma album.

This video compares the differing soloing styles of Buckethead and Slash by showing both players playing the final epic solo from Nightrain (Guns 'n' Roses). There's no denying Slash's contributions to rock, the guy is awesome, but I personally think that Buckethead's solo blows Slash's away (I'm sure die hard G'n'R fans would kill me, especially as its Slash's own work!!). But see for yourself, just watch when it zooms in on Buckethead!

Ok, here is a video lesson by Buckethead with a number of different techniues illustrated. I particularly enjoy figure 5 where he demonstrates 1,2,3 and 4 finger tapping (picking hand) - nobody should be able to play like this!!

Thes vid I only found this morning, it shows Buckethead taking lesson requests from audience members! Again he does the 4 finger tapping! Unreal!

Live Lesson

Overtime I will add additional Buckethead videos to this post to include videos of him playing at a much younger age, and also of the guitar lesson video that he did which is STUPIDLY impressive! The lead players amongst us will weep! WEEP!!! I know it makes me feel VERY inadequate!

Phil.

Edit - Gaz, yes u can post pics of your dad's gear mate, I've only deleted your post as i only opened the thread so i could work at it before closing it again. i'll open it porperly in time when i have all i want for it.

Ok geetar type folks, I have just gone ahead and opened this thread for now to see what kind of discussions are generated from the basic start and intro that I have made above.

As I have said, there are a number of other Buckethead links that I will add to the above post, and I will also get some pics up of my own gear and set-up and of the very very tasty and hopefully rather rare new axe that I have placed an order for - I'll keep it under wraps for now but I will say this...Reverse headstock!

So, gear, players, techniques, queries, pictures, demonstrations, lessons - anything guitar related at all, let the chat commence folks!

Phil.

It definately is mate, I only wish I could play like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead, i just get such a kick out of playin, shame i'v never been in even a wee jam band, looks fun.

Even those who dont play themselves can appreciate by simply watching the skill and talent involved, its like watching a harp player or a violinist or a really skilled pianist - i HATED playin piano in school, but watching someone who has mastered it is really somethin to marvel at!

Phil.

one of my mates is a major guitar head.he shit hot at it also. i should get him to sign up purely for the guitar banter. via a text he says u should checkout yngwie malmsteen and ye thats how u spell it lol.

i know who malmsteen is lol!

there's a rock section in the music area for talkin about whole bands, we can discuss full bands in there by all means! this is just my guitar nerd section, i MAY do a drum nerd section too hehehe!

and how big a Maiden fan am I?? Stating that i own all the albums is too simple as its too obvious, including vinyls and singles, and of course i'v seen them numerous times, but to express how big a fan I am of the Maiden, lets say this....i met Yanick Gers and his son at breakfast, they approached us not the other way round, i NEARLY met Dave Murray had it not been for some IDIOT pissin him off, and one of my best mates is bringing interim singer Blaze Bayley over to NI in the coming year (it was meant to have happened already but Blaze's wife sadly passed away so he had to postpone).

Maiden = UBES! Adrian is such a demon on the guitar!

Phil.

i met the drummer in a worksop he did in cardiff. i ended up winning the raffle and getting a premire snare drum of him and 2 signed drum skins. if i can find them your welcome to one if you want

are u shittin me???

HOLY CRAP THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil.

nah man i shit you not. i took one skin with me to get signed and ended up winning so i got 2 done. i'll have a scout for them and then i'll send it out

lol dont stress it man, Malmsteen is an aquired taste for me, his singer on the other hand, a certain Tim "The Ripper" Owens is in my opinion the mot under appreaciated man in heavy metal! the man is a GOD! He sang for Priest when Halford left, and I dont care if Priest fans dont like this next statement, Ripper is BETTER than Halford, period! He also sings in Beyond Fear and was on the Framing Armageddon album by Iced Earth and it is unreal, my mate has met him and it kills me!!!

@Asad - just checked out those links man. Gilbert is breath taking, I'm defo gonna have to start checking him out properly, I've been so obsessed with Buckethead and Megadeth that i'v overlooked him, i even missed him play here last yr (i fail). The start of the first Buckethead link is a track called Whitewash from his 1998 Colma album, such a moving album. If chilled ambient emotional music is what you're looking for check out Colma and Electric Tears (2002), some people say he plays with no emotion but u listen to those albums and you can clearly see thats utter nonsense. The start of the second video u posted is the solo from Nottingham Lace....un-real-tastic, then it goes into Padmasana.

Phil.

hahaha that i am keeping under wraps until i get word that it has actually been made by the factory, because at present there are none available. a small batch is due into the UK end of may but are all spoken for, so mine wont be ready until they make the next batch, hopefully July sometime.

I'll say this...reverse headstock, twin EMG pickups, neck-through (no bolt-on shite here!), string through (dont need another Floyd Rose bridge). and I cant even find a picture of it in the colour I've ordered, dang-nab-it!

Phil.

Ok, thought I would share my own gear with you lot, hopefully inspire folk to show us what treasures they have or their dads still have hidden away in the attic that their wives thought they'd thrown out when they'd "grown up and cut their hair"...silly wives!

Ok, the first guitar I got was a wee Westfield Strat, I bet half the guitar players out there started on one of these or somthin very similar. Rarely used these days unless i'm tryin to learn somethin in standard E-e tuning sittin down, but still looks cool and fills the role of compulsory Strat in the collection.

DSC_0013.jpg

After the Westy, I got an Epiphone Demon because I watched Metallica's Cunning Stunts and clapped eyes on Kirk's black Jackson Randy Rhodes. Tried to get one in black but there was a wait of 6months and I aint that patient :thumbsup: I use this quite alot as its quickly retuned (unlike a locking trem), so i mainly use it for down tuned things, D-d, drop C and lower depending what I'm noodling at (esp. MachineHead or Arch Enemy stuff that is WAY down there in the tunings!) and I have it kitted out in slightly thicker 11 gauge strings to take the lower tunings (although gettin anything thicker than 10s and 9s in Belfast was a nightmare! useless!). I've considered fittin it with EMGs but I like the shiny Epiphone humbuckers so they're staying!

DSC_0015.jpg

The most recent purchase was this Takamine Dual that I practically STOLE off a mate of my dad's who just didnt want it anymore. Pretty rare by all accounts and it was only played about 6 times so it was essentially new. I never really fancied a full acoustic as I find them just too big, but this is an electric-acoustic and so is somewhat slimmer and lets me rock some of the acoustic 'tallica stuff and Clapton and Dylan.

DSC_0014.jpg

Ok, that leaves my two main guitars.

First up is the (ESP) LTD F-250 in black. I was looking for a second main guitar and wanted to stay with LTD (as I had already bought the one below) mainly as I'm a Metallica brand whore, and Mr Hetfield had recently started rockin out on a number of these babies (e.g. Frantic at the 2003 VMA awards presented by Chris Rock) and this had all the goodies I was lookin for, twin EMGs, neck through and Floyd Rose.

DSC_0016.jpg

And finally (until a certain new monster is built) is my baby and pride and joy of my collection. This guitar was also a bit of a bitch to get but she was WELL worth it. She's an (ESP) LTD V-350 in Anthracite with twin EMGs, neck through body and a Floyd Rose and the action on this thing is awesome, much better even than the F-250 and that aint half bad itself! Hell, even the Floyd on this is WAY better than the one on the F-250, its just such a delight to play! I have a passion for Flying V guitars and having seen Hetfield's custom (but sadly discontinued) signature ESP Flying Vs, I discovered this model by ESP (that KK Downing also plays) but I found it just as Mustaine signed to ESP and brought out his own signature V series without a Floyd Rose which made getting this a total bitch as she was the LAST of the stock available in the UK before Mustaine's DV8 V's arrived (damn him for making my life hard) and I really wanted a V with a Floyd trem on it!

DSC_0017.jpg

Of course, i wouldn't be able to hear too much without someother gear, so here's a quick snap or two. Real simple set-up tbh, guitar goes into pedals and pedals go into amp (which doesnt work live i'm reliably informed by the Sinocence front man lol), the feedback off the distortion pedal is a bitch on my practice amps let alone through a PA!

DSC_0018.jpg

You'll also notice the wooden chair beside the amp, thats for acoustic stuff! "What the hell is Phil talking about?!" I hear you ask!! I refer you to James Hetfield during Nothing Else Matters in the Cunning Stunts and S&M gigs and you'll understand! Jeez, I'm such a nerdy 'tallica whore aren't I :lol:

The pedals run as follows:

Guitar into Danelectro Black Paisley Liquid Metal (W/ Octave function)(awesome pedal) - into Dunlop Cry Baby - into Boss CH-1 Super Chorus (for funky stuff) - into Boss DD-3 Digital Delay (for bulking up clean stuff and cool delay effect) - into Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner - into amp with a channel control pedal. All pretty simple really, I do however fancy adding a reverb pedal, Megadeth and Metallica dont use reverb much if at all, but I like it for messing about with the likes of Judas Priest's Hellion, gives a cool epic feeling to the sound!

DSC_0019.jpg

Anyways, thats the current state of affairs in terms of my own collection, lets see what you have yourselves!

Phil.

Thought id share some of my pics too.

th_Image1484.jpgth_Image955.jpgth_Image952.jpg

th_Image811.jpg

Thoes are some of the pics of the guitars i built (well, technicaly still building as ive not finished them yet) The Sg-ish one is my own design, i built and carved that from ash when i was 14, the les paul rep i built the neck, body and slotted the fret board. The body and neck are mahogany the board is rosewood.

Ive also got an Ibanez Prestige 7 string and an epiphone lespaul studio with gibson pickups. My amp is a marshall mg15dfx (due to space and noise, parents hate it :wacko:) but i normaly use a line6 tone port amp emulator with head phones to practice with. When i play live its normaly a spider2 150w or a vox ad100vt 100watter, depending on who i can borrow off. I'll have to get some pics of the ibanez up.

Dont realy have an 'idol' as such any more but i use to be realy in to satriani and vai. Im also currently writing and recording some stuff with the band and should be finished in the summer. hoping to get a few shows in the north too, been well over 2 years since we last played live to any decent size of crowd.