People Who Have Done 4efte Conversions...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love a Glanza but for cheapness I'd rather buy a GT.

Glanza's are nicer cars to be honest. I've owned basically every incarnation of starlet, and the V is easily the nicest.

they are cheap as chips now too, just get a decent glanza and be done with it.

You both smell of poo GT's for the win haha glanzas are nice but id deffo prefer the gt anyday of the week lol

I prefer to get a conversion , as i dont like the gt's or glanza to be honest in my opinion

i love the look of a sleeper , just pullin up at a set of lights next to someone who thinks you have shite engine and then pullin off like fuck.

@Rick, thanks dude.

@Ste - as said, it kinda depends how much u love your NA and how far you have come with it. If u have a genuine attachment to the car and would cringe at the idea of sellin her, then thats your answer. I personally have come to far with this project to just pass it on for a factory turbo, the parts i would loose selling her for a stock or lightly modded V wouldn't bear thinking about...TTE, HRF, TRD, hence why I have gone conversion (although i still want an S15 lol).

however, if like a lot of power car guys, its JUST a car and you're not really that bothered about the individual car but more concerned with the grunt, then selling and buyin a factory turbo is the way for you.

also, bear in mind that as a young male, insurance on a conversion will MOST LIKELY be alot more expensive than insuring a factory turbo, hence why SiCaln sold the SR before his conversion and bought his V.

do some insurance quotes man, might give you an idea of the best approach for you. if u get a silly nice quote for a V or a GT then that may tempt you away from a conversion. plus, it kinda helps to have someone who REALLY knows what they're doing when it comes to the actual process of conversion, thats why I consider myself VERY fortunate to have Jay and WeeJohn helping me big time!

Phil.

As said, you're better off financially going for a GT or Glanza in terms of cost and insurance.

Depends how much you love your car.

Can understand people turbo'ing Paseos and Seras rathet than getting a GT or Glanza, but they're different styles of car, where as UK spec and JDM spec Starlets are all similar in appearance (to a degree, in that they're hatchbacks)

My EP80 conversion was worth every penny, second and skinned knuckle. It also taught me a lot more than I expected too which was priceless.

I agree so much, i have learnt so much more working on my car etc and buillding the parts up and installin em my self , and all tht hard work on it just pays off because you can say i did tht , in my opinion it feel like a big sense of acheivement when you do the conversion and see tht FMIC steering at you through the bumper of a sportif =P

I'm doing it the now and don't regret it to be honest. The sr wasn't in the best of condition so I couldn't of afford to sell it and buy a GT/Glanza which is another reason why I did it, aswell as giving myself a challenge... It's more rewarding doing the work and getting it running than just buying a turbo model..

If you decide to buy a turbo one have a go in both first. Personally I prefer GT's even though I have a '91 :thumbsup:

^^^ woo hoo good lad i love gt's

and the one thing i can say is if you do a 4efte conversion you will learn so much about the engines, where everything is and what parts go where. i havnt done a conversion but i replaced the engine on my gt and i learned so much its unbelievable so there are benefits to doing it.

agreed with all of you

plus theres the whole sleeper principal

someone who knows jap cars pulls up in there 1.4 civic n/a slightly modified and thinks haha theres a 1.3 sr il kick there arse......NOT A CHANCE SON haha

i prefer the conversion because I've ended up with a starlet cd and basically a 190 bhp glanza for 4k. not a bad deal :thumbsup: having the sleeper was great fun while it lasted though. i done the conversion mainly because im tired of goin to garages and wanted to learn to do stuff myself so thought id start with changin an engine haha

Russell

agreed with all of you

plus theres the whole sleeper principal

someone who knows jap cars pulls up in there 1.4 civic n/a slightly modified and thinks haha theres a 1.3 sr il kick there arse......NOT A CHANCE SON haha

I agree so long mr civic

I agree so much untill you do the conversion etc you wont understand how much knowledge and enjoyment you get out of doing the conversion.

Totaly disagree... i have knowledge about these cars.. killing my head.. stripping the car.. rebuilding the car.. theres an extent you "enjoy" working on.. ie changing exhaust.. mani.. so on..

there comes a part when you stop enjoying and start to get sick of having to pop the bonnet doing this that...

when your doing the conversion.. you need to do ALOT of work. rear axle needs changed to discs... engine needs dropped out & new one in.. then remembering ALL the piping and routing, old loom out.. gt/glanza loom in.. wirings a complete nightmare if you dont have a clue.. running gear needs uprated as a hole realy. youve got to have the tools and you defo need to have the know how or your straight up a gum tree... spending all that money to do that.

if i were you id buy a cheap gt or glanza... if your sooo "loved up" in the sleeper look.. buy the NA bumpers & bonnet and put them on your glanza.. hella cheaper than faffing about with an N/A... funny thing is you could sell the glanza front bumper and manage to buy all the n/a stuff..

Conversions are a money hole.. if you get an engine make sure you see/hear it run.. or your gona need deep pockets these engines are not cheap to repair from toyota...

heres a quick detail of random things..

Glanza headlight units only - £150

1 cv joint kit - £250

alternator - £220

oil return pipe £90 .. its just a fecking pipe!

im not trying to put people of conversions... i just want to make people aware of the work and things that have to be done... thinking and dreaming of things like this always sounds the most awsome,easy,straight forward thing to do.

sorry to burst that bubble its not.

Also Russel mate. you could have bought a glanza with 200bhp spec for £3500... i was thinking on selling mines about this..

starlet gts.. on td04 kits sell for this too.

R.

when your doing the conversion.. you need to do ALOT of work. rear axle needs changed to discs... engine needs dropped out & new one in.. then remembering ALL the piping and routing, old loom out.. gt/glanza loom in.. wirings a complete nightmare if you dont have a clue.. running gear needs uprated as a hole realy. youve got to have the tools and you defo need to have the know how or your straight up a gum tree... spending all that money to do that.

in my opinion it's not as hard as people make out, and you'll realise once you've done it, yes your going to run into problems, but nothing that you can't sort out.

The rear braking setup doesn't have to be changed, it's adviseable, but the rear only does about 20% of the braking so it's not totally necessary. Dropping an engine in and out is no different wheter it's a tub or not, and you only really have to unplug the loom, and then re plug it in whch isn't hard as it only goes in one way..same with interior wiring, when you have the Glanza looms it's a straiight plug and play swap.

You hardly need any tools they're that easy to work on. Literally a rachet a range of sockects and spanners is all you need !

@ glanza-love

yeh but i wouldnt have the other car that i plan to use for work. i still think 2 cars with about 70k is a good deal for 4 k. will go down a bit when i sell off bits i dont want lol. i did kinda go a roundabout way of havin a glanza though :D

also toyotas prices are a bit crazy. got a na backbox for like 50 quid new and then they said 60 for just a cv rubber :thumbsup:.

Russell

Totaly disagree... i have knowledge about these cars.. killing my head.. stripping the car.. rebuilding the car.. theres an extent you "enjoy" working on.. ie changing exhaust.. mani.. so on..

there comes a part when you stop enjoying and start to get sick of having to pop the bonnet doing this that...

if i were you id buy a cheap gt or glanza... if your sooo "loved up" in the sleeper look.. buy the NA bumpers & bonnet and put them on your glanza.. hella cheaper than faffing about with an N/A... funny thing is you could sell the glanza front bumper and manage to buy all the n/a stuff..

Conversions are a money hole.. if you get an engine make sure you see/hear it run.. or your gona need deep pockets these engines are not cheap to repair from toyota...

heres a quick detail of random things..

Glanza headlight units only - £150

1 cv joint kit - £250

alternator - £220

oil return pipe £90 .. its just a fecking pipe!

im not trying to put people of conversions... i just want to make people aware of the work and things that have to be done... thinking and dreaming of things like this always sounds the most awsome,easy,straight forward thing to do.

sorry to burst that bubble its not.

Also Russel mate. you could have bought a glanza with 200bhp spec for £3500... i was thinking on selling mines about this..

starlet gts.. on td04 kits sell for this too.

R.

i disagree with you as its not tht hard , im not a mechanic or didnt have hardly any knowledge of the starlet when i started ,also as for the wiring im a sparky so does help but still im not an auto sparky so stuff is different, and tool wise a few sockets of different sizes , spanners and a hammer and bobs ya uncle , and to be honest i dont care how much i spend on it as im not doing it for the money im doing it for my own enjoyment and plus i think n/a's have a nice look to them cpompared to a glanza , No offence to the glanza owners.