People Who Have Done 4efte Conversions...

lol i didnt use anything overly complex mate.

No, but you put your point accross fairly well :thumbsup:

Hahahah, Love the qoute.

Back on topic, I think you should have as much fun as you can with your NA, then when you can afford a GT or Glanza go get it. Engine conversions can be a pain, I did one with my previous car and had lots of hassle until it went pop. But that could've just been bad fortune, good luck with your decision anway.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I aint up graded my drums for the reason that there only 20% used but i have got willwoods on the front for extreme brakin , but what the fuck why are we 'pikey mechanics' just because we have the guts to do the conversion................#

If i could get hold of another glanza engine id soon get another conversion done just because i enjoyed it alot , and i am a perfectionist so theres no 'pikyness' about what i do...................

Ste if you enjoy the platform you have, enjoy learning about your car and enjoy getting your hands dirty, do the conversion. And dont worry about the brakes till you are pushing big power, then its just common sence to up them to match, but good discs and pads up front at the start will keep you happy.

However if you decide no and to just buy, 82's are better than 91's

Mark

some fairly heated debating goin on there :thumbsup: i still have drums on the back and standard brakes on the front but because i dont actually drive much faster top speed wise than the n/a why would it make any difference. would only make a difference if goin on a track in my opinion or if you have a hard driving style.

more i think about it the more i think you should do the conversion because i enjoyed doin the mechanical stuff and am looking forward to puttin an na engine in the donor car soon as i get my hoist back. feels great once your finished . but at the same time you could buy a gt and spend the same time and money upgrading it. i think it all depends on how you feel about the whole idea mate :D

Russell

Well I have driven your's, and will drive it again once converted to a real mans car, and I've driven the GT, the GT is the better chassis. And before you start yes I did nearly buy a white 91 but that too was an end of a line 1.

Also why do you have the rear discs phil?

Mark

given the factory-set bias towards front wheel braking yes, i agree, front end braking is inherently the most important area of braking for the EP, the improvement in everyday braking that i gained from the disc conversion - whilst positive - wasn't exactly mind blowing, and wouldnt be the first place where I would start in terms of improving braking ability when increasing the power of the car. it just looks 100times better, but the improvements are not drastic; front end upgrades would and have provided much more positive improvements (discs, pads, BMCS).

indeed, if u take the time to think about it, only one regular member (i'm excluding burwash's rear caliper upgrades) who has investigated the potential benefits of shifting the braking bias in the EP is Nath, and in order to achieve this end he was looking at having to spend LARGE sums of money on a pedal box, something that the average starlet ower such as myself would never have any call for on the roads.

In short, Ste, u can ask me in a month or two if the conversion was worth it mate. the anticipation alone has maintained my interest in the conversion route over the past 6months. for me it was the obvious choice and the next logical step for my particular project tbh; mine has come that far that to sell up would be financially retarded, makes more sense to continue to further the BadgerSport project. I guess it comes down to how far your own project has progressed, and how attached you are to that particular shell and chassis dude!

Phil.

While I haven't done a conversion, its been playing on my mind for a while now.

My reasoning is that if you enjoy your n/a and have an attachment to it fair enough but if you want power then by all means do the conversion.

some people will list pros for doing it such as;

owning a sleeper,

completing a conversion to really learn about there car and its engine.

increasing the car's power.

getting over the inferiority complex of not having a front mount....

Some cons are as follows;

the expense of the conversion parts themselves

Increased cost of insurance.

time and effort involved in doing the work at all.

What each person who considers the conversion needs to think of the following;

What is their expectations for the conversion?

Will the cost of the performance increase be acceptable for the increase of perforance you actualy get.

people need to answer these questions then the conversionwill be worth it for them

Nic

If you are questioning wheather you want to do it or not then get a Glanza or GT. If you want to do the swap you shouldn't let anything or anyone change your mind as it is a big commitment with the cost/insurance/times etc.. I did it and i would never look back. In my opinion it was worth it as i enjoyed doing the swap myself and smiled every time i drove it (except when i wrote it off). I'd only replace the brakes if your going on the track a lot. As someone has said, on the road it is the same as a normal Glanza. The track is were you would see the difference.

The Standard brakes are good for around 200bhp

The loom is a pain unless it's plug and play

Changing the engines is very easy with a few mates

Insurance is a good deal more

Get a rear ARB!!!!

Get good handling bits!!!!!!

@ Phil - You're going to love it...trust me :thumbsup:.

Bourkey

Also remember, if you do go and buy a GT or Glanza, that doesnt mean your gona get away without any problems.

I bought 1 of the cleanest, most standard GT's over here at the time and we have had our up's and our downs

Mark

bah, he's spent too long around Jay and his 82s thats his problem lol!!!!! gotta keep him outta Jay's yard!!!!

@badass, thank u kind sir!

@Ste, again, i couldnt agree more with what Nic has said above. if u run over those points in your mind for a week or two, maybe you will answer your own question. remember, front cuts or even engines alone are not cheap, and u will want a good solid one for peace of mind (something i emphasised strongly to Jay when we were searching for my engine), and always remember the additional parts that can quickly add up, again as i am currently finding out - exhaust, FMIC because u have no bonnet scoop, looms, depending on where the engine comes from it may not even come with a gear box, manis or turbo as some breakers sell it all seperately, boost gauge, fresh service items (oil, filters, gaskets maybe), BOV??, king lead.....and any particular items you may specifically want, e.g. blitz decat, catch can, mesh to protect FMIC. the costs can quickly spiral if you're as fussy a git as me lol!

and then the old killer, insuring a conversion rather than a factory fitted turbo car....biatch!

Phil.

Well I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a GT, that was the plan in the first place but I'm just getting bored of N/A power and want a quick fix and at a first glance it looks cheaper to buy an engine/gearbox/loom/etc... than it is to buy the whole car but it really doesn't look much cheaper to be honest.

That plus the fact I haven't really done much to my N/A I just want more power.

Like today I was on a "private road" and had the speedo off the clock but there was just no feeling at all, the feeling of acceleration and hard cornering is where the fun is.

by the way guys i was on the complete wind up. lol

my advice is get the real deal.. if your attached to the n/a keep it.. polish it.. make it good for shows or something

the rear axle all i feel is, its just dodgy haven it with a highly tuned engine in it.

deffo agree with ross on this one

why get the replica when you can buy the real deal

you will learn a lot doing a full conversion but buying a gt or a glanz iis much more beneficial and less hassle in my opinion

Wow, sounds like you've done a few conversions In your time mr 'love'

There is really nothing left to say as rob, phil etc have covered everything off but I can assure you no pikey mechanics are going into mine and robs conversion, oh and I think rob knows the difference between a 75hp and 200hp ep better than most..

But back to the original point, it's only worth doing ste for in my opinion three reasons..

1) you love your n/a

2) you love mechanics and can be dedicated to it

3) nothing will beat the feeling of achivement when it's done.

build not buy!!!!

Si

All this banter above :rolleyes:

I went for the Glanza route for simplicity, I did buy a corolla G6 as i wanted a FTE in it but it would have cost, taken up time and required modding. So I took the simple route, saved up and got myself a V. I guess the 'original' will always feel more 'intact' - well I get that feeling anyway. Once somethings been opened it's never going to be the same..

^ so true addz.

Rob.. i havent done a conversion no.. because personaly im not that stupid and im not putting out more exspense on a car

when i could buy it ready like that without hassels.... you say build not buy?

Fish for your information i bought my glanza.. broke it & rebuilt the fecker.. with more powerful spec parts.. im probably high up there with the amount of times stripping and rebuilding my engine for the better.

matter of the fact is spend all that money on the n/a .. youll be able to buy a modded turbo already for the price you will put into it.

atleast with glanza's and gt's .. its built to do what it says on the tin.

id rather the real thing over the coversion anyday.. i know that the real thing wont fall to bits some how seeing though it came out the factory.

you still havnt answered my question. you gonna explain to me the thinking behind your argument about horsepower and braking, or am i just talkin to myself?? i get the feelin im being ignored because u dont have an answer for me, which wouldnt really surprise me - i mean, even my girlfriend understood the principle behind the argument, so why are you continuing to ignore me?? i'm still not bein a dick, but seems to me your simply avoiding answering my question because basically you have no answer.

and another minor point, u say the real thing wont fall apart as it came from the factory - ok, i can follow that. but thats asuming you leave it stock. you tryin to say that even modded to 200bhp a Glanza will be factory reliable over a stock spec FTE conversion into an n/a which is what i'm doin?? so, essentially, your modded Glanza that you currently own will be more reliable than my conversion simply because mine is a conversion, thats pretty much what you're saying right????

or am i just putting words into your mouth now?? hmmmmm?

"matter of the fact is spend all that money on the n/a .. youll be able to buy a modded turbo already for the price you will put into it."

so far my conversion has cost me around £1300 for all the engine with components and a WEPR FMIC & blitz decat, with another £100 to spend on an exhaust from CCMotorworks - gotta be honest, not too many nice glanza examples floating around for £1400, and before u shout about insurance, its an additional £80 over my N/a premium, so round her off to £1500 - for a factory stock, unabused FTE conversion. so, again, i disagree with your argument about the money involved in a conversion ALWAYS being greater than the price of a modded turbo - the money i'v spent on my conversion simply disproves your argument and I can assure you that not a single corner is being cut in my conversion - because its MY conversion, and my car hasn't seen a cut corner in anything i'v done to her.

Phil.

^ so true addz.

Rob.. i havent done a conversion no.. because personaly im not that stupid and im not putting out more exspense on a car

when i could buy it ready like that without hassels.... you say build not buy?

I didn't actually say that, you'll soon realise it was Si...

And well done for offending everyone on this site who has done a convo by calling them stupid :rolleyes:

Saying Glanzas are built for it and n/a's aren't is pap aswell... There's no difference in the chassis/suspension, the only minor difference Is in the braking setup which has already been covered.

Also agreeing with phil again.. You could easy do a convo for under 1.5 k and pick up a non turbo for around 1k, so a turbo 91 for 2.5k is cheaper than a decent V .

Not only that when doing a conversion you know all about the car, engine set up etc as you've put it all together yourself and inspected it all so you know itl be in good working order. When buying a pre moddified ep your 99% buying it blind unless you know the owner, second to that your not going to get a decent spec modified v for approx 2k - 2.5k.

keep thinking of even more advantages of convo's lol

p.s phil not been on this site for ages really but good to hear your finally getting your convo done, best of luck with it mate, itl be so worth it!!

No worries bud, need to bring her across the water when she's finished!!

That was interesting re insurance aswell by the way, I'm with flux atm and was dreading the phonecall to them when it finally comes round to getting our convo insured lol. But by the looks it probs won't be that bad atall :rolleyes:.

Si