• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers mate, yeah it does, it gives me the drive to make mine better. was just talking to him there about taking the manifold off and porting it while it aint moving, hate paying out for things I can do myself.

Keep up the good work, you will love it the day you push her out and take her up the road

nick....before the bin man comes, do me a favour.

the lead that connects from the cd changer to the head unit, put it aside for me til i got home. i THINK the changer i have is a sony, and if by any FLUKE chance your lead is the one i need, i will kiss u...with tongue!

also, i cant wait to see the Volks on this car!! best wheels evar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your so sexy! lol!

and Mark doesnt need my help, but he gets to bounce his ideas off me and we tweek with them slightly, plus some of the road blocks i've come up against when tinkering with mine have helped when we're tinkering at his because we nkow what to expect and how to fix them! thats the handy part!

we need pics nick! PICS!

Phil.

Which lead would that be then? The only ones connected were red/white audio component leads, and what looked like a co-ax (power?) lead too? I'll take some pictures today, see if you recognise anything. I can't actually remember off the top of my head how it was all laid out now.

EDIT: Ok, I think I found what you were after... The black lead with multiple sockets in it or whatever? I had a quick look at the actual 10-disc changer unit itself, and it isn't that bad condition on the outside actually, no clue what it'd be like inside though... The headunit itself looks mint, but then again, it is fairly useless without the disc changer. I won't be keeping it anyway, find it much better to change CDs via a headunit, rather than faffing about deciding which 10 CDs to have for the week.

Need to find out how to remove the headunit now, and then we'll be a-go-go! Mr. Nangle, you shall get your black lead of mystery!

Dad's out atm, so I've got no way to take a photo. But did I give up? No!

I OPENED UP MSPAINT.

Behold!

BLoM.jpg

The orange refer to the locations of the pins. 3 pins on both the top and bottom, and one pin on both middle plastic bits, facing outwards.

Hope it helps, I'll get a photo up later.

Ok, stripped out all the wires that lead to the rear (except the wires leading to the parcel shelf), which involved taking off the driver's side lower dash to sort out the mess of tangled wires. While I was removing the old headunit (which is useless, as it has a cassette slot, which seems to be for a controller cassette for the changer or something?), I took the liberty of nicking Dad's OEM Hiace CD/Radio headunit, and installed that in it's place. Looks a lot cleaner now, looks very OEM and at home :)

I also found in the boxes of screws and bolts and odds and ends that came with the GT some rubbers for the mirrors which provide the seal between door and mirror, so I had to take off the doorcards (again!) and mirrors to get them on. It's fucking cringeworthy, popping the doorcards off. Stupid popper clips.

Anyway, interior is pretty much sorted, bar the boot plastics and cleaning up the A-pillar plastics. Also need to get the rear bench back in, and vac everything up, but it's coming along so well.

Next stop - Engine bay. Not sure when that's going to be though, so I'll content myself with other things, like getting the boot wiper and lock on.

Oh yeah, Phil, if the headunit and CD changer are the same models as yours, I might as well send them to you too as spares in case yours ever go on the futz :)

Phil, will you want the CDX656 CD changer I have as a spare in case yours doesn't work?

EDIT:

Thanks Dean! And don't mind Phil, he's just going to gently rape me because I have the lead that will finally get his music set-up working :)

Looking back now, I realise I should have taken some more detailed pictures of the interior when it was shit, its amazing how much better it looks now, even if it still has a shitty wheel and gearknob in it.

Just a quick few pics!

General exterior shot. Dirty as hell, but that paint is a really nice colour in the light :( Can't see it as much here though.

11042010016.jpg

General interior shot showing off the return back to standard doorcards and rear seats. Yes, I know, I fail at focus.

11042010017.jpg

The CD headunit I nicked from Dad's van. Fits in quite well.

11042010018.jpg

Oh dear. :)

11042010019.jpg

Optional door speaker pods :D The mesh is a bit battered tho.

11042010020.jpg

Damage to the boot plastics. I'll need to get another from somewhere.

11042010021.jpg

Shot showing the paintwork. Really shoddy in places, you can see the orange peel, and also on the door pillar where he didn't even paint all the way up.

11042010022.jpg

also, do what i did with the battered speaker pod mesh, a lick of spray paint buddy!

Aye, I was thinking about just spraying it.

Thanks for the tip about Jay, if Rik (the lad who I got the doorcards from), doesn't have them in his attic, I'll drop him a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, me and dad got the side mouldings on, after getting all the required clips from Toyota. Rear wiper and lock are back on also. One thing, with the rear wiper, there was a small red washer, with a squarish hole? Anyone know if this goes on the wiper?

Other than that, theres not much left, apart from the rain gutter trims that go above the door line.

Got pissed off though, took of the shitty Richbrook gearknob, only to find that the threaded bit off the shaft had been chopped off! So my nice TRD knob can't go on! WHAT A KNOBBER.