Wms Starlet 4 Pot Brake Kit & General Discussion

haha no not exactly!!

hopefully someone else on here can help out with providing a 14" wheel for experimentation!!!

again, your help is greatly appreciated Keri, thank-you!

Phil.

Yup yup - no problem, if they are common on the starlet in the UK I'm bound to run into some I expect....

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup yup - no problem, if they are common on the starlet in the UK I'm bound to run into some I expect....

As far as I can recall, the 54mm bore on the ep82 is on the mk1 which was made between 1990-1992. After that they moved to 55mm. This is something you may want to confirm this to be sure.

Any plans for doing anything for Evos? I'm getting ready for new brakes on the front of my 5 and they all cost a fortune.

As far as I can recall, the 54mm bore on the ep82 is on the mk1 which was made between 1990-1992. After that they moved to 55mm. This is something you may want to confirm this to be sure.

Any plans for doing anything for Evos? I'm getting ready for new brakes on the front of my 5 and they all cost a fortune.

Hi Rick, you're right about the bore, I just need to get a pile of test EP91/82 parts to test on.

No specific plans for the Evo, what size wheels are you running? I'm happy to have a look if you've got a standard hub/disc/caliper etc I can borrow to work on?

Hi Rick, you're right about the bore, I just need to get a pile of test EP91/82 parts to test on.

No specific plans for the Evo, what size wheels are you running? I'm happy to have a look if you've got a standard hub/disc/caliper etc I can borrow to work on?

I have no spare parts unfortunately but I'm running 18" wheels. The main problem with the Evo brakes is the discs. One piece discs just warp and become pretty unuseable. The standard Brembo calipers in conjunction with a good set of 2 piece discs and good pads like Carbotech XP8's are good even for occasional track days. The problem is finding 2 piece discs at a reasonable price. The cheapest quality ones I've found so far are Godspeed discs at £350. It's now possible to get a full K-sport 8 pot kit with 2 piece discs and lines and pads for £750 so you have to consider if it's worth doing the full 8 pot conversion, even though there isn't really a need for such stopping for power for most people.

I have no spare parts unfortunately but I'm running 18" wheels. The main problem with the Evo brakes is the discs. One piece discs just warp and become pretty unuseable. The standard Brembo calipers in conjunction with a good set of 2 piece discs and good pads like Carbotech XP8's are good even for occasional track days. The problem is finding 2 piece discs at a reasonable price. The cheapest quality ones I've found so far are Godspeed discs at £350. It's now possible to get a full K-sport 8 pot kit with 2 piece discs and lines and pads for £750 so you have to consider if it's worth doing the full 8 pot conversion, even though there isn't really a need for such stopping for power for most people.

To be honest if I did an Evo kit it would be more upmarket than the goodspeed stuff, so as price is your main issue and we don't have quick and easy access to a test hub etc I'm going to pass!

Best not to spread too thin when expanding, let's get the full range of EP91/82 kits sorted out first. :)

Guest dominodon

1992< Turbo (Ep82)-54mm centre

1992-96 Turbo(EP82)-55mm centre

1996> Turbo (EP91)-55mm centre

Hope that helps :)

1992< Turbo (Ep82)-54mm centre

1992-96 Turbo(EP82)-55mm centre

1996> Turbo (EP91)-55mm centre

Hope that helps :)

Cheers, should do - I didn't expect the EP82 to have two versions!

'spose that's good in the short term though....as that means this first 55mm WMS kit should fit the 92-96 EP82?!

Then one BETA kit will be to see i Norway;)

Yep! :)

Also just sorted my "common testing alloy"!!! £15 + £15 (hmmm.....) postage, gotta love eBay!

WMS-800x600-4P1071-g.jpg

Guest dominodon

Thats correct as that means this first 55mm WMS kit should fit the 92-96 EP82?!

92-96 ep82-ep91 Thats what info we have got from 3g as well sell there

brake discs.

Cheers, should do - I didn't expect the EP82 to have two versions!

'spose that's good in the short term though....as that means this first 55mm WMS kit should fit the 92-96 EP82?!

Yep! :)

Thats correct as that means this first 55mm WMS kit should fit the 92-96 EP82?!

92-96 ep82-ep91 Thats what info we have got from 3g as well sell there

brake discs.

Fair enough and thanks again - well I've got it down in the notes for that kit...in fact I'll edit the title of this thread methinks! :)

Good stuff, want me to send a Final Speed wheel to you for testing? 300mm FTW :)

Can do - is that for your car? (what does FTW mean by the way? I always assumed it was a ByTheWay typo in the past but I've been seeing it loads!)

What size Final Speeds do you have again?

For The Win :thumbsup: lol

They are 15s mate

lol - fair enough! 300mm in 15's = pushing it but might be possible depending on the wheel!

These look awsome, and a very good price too!

Is there any chance they can fit under 14's?

Mitch

Cheers! It's possible....but 280mm in 14"s (like 300mm in 15"s) is pushing it and only a few wheel types will work. If enough people want a smaller (better for 14"s) kit I can go a bit smaller as an option....

Yea but I want as big as possible :thumbsup:

When it comes round to it I can send you a wheel to test I'm sure mate, wont be for a good while though

lol - I've got 323 x 32 mm rotors.....but that's just daft and really needs 17"s! Well let me know.

I'll probably do kits in these sizes (front anyway):

- #smaller version to try to fit 14"s#

- 275x22 (plus 280x20.5mm rotor version)

- 300x? (plus 300x20.5mm rotor version)

lol - fair enough! 300mm in 15's = pushing it but might be possible depending on the wheel!

Cheers! It's possible....but 280mm in 14"s (like 300mm in 15"s) is pushing it and only a few wheel types will work. If enough people want a smaller (better for 14"s) kit I can go a bit smaller as an option....

Ok cool, its just that ive bought some 14's which i had intended on using on my GT for the track.. but i was hoping to get a brake upgrade such as the kit you offer.

Would there be a chance on doing a bespoke kit for myself? should there not be many people wanting a '14"' kit.

I could also send a wheel to you for fitment.

Mitch

edit: i posted before you posted the post above this post^^^

Ok cool, its just that ive bought some 14's which i had intended on using on my GT for the track.. but i was hoping to get a brake upgrade such as the kit you offer.

Would there be a chance on doing a bespoke kit for myself? should there not be many people wanting a '14"' kit.

I could also send a wheel to you for fitment.

Mitch

edit: i posted before you posted the post above this post^^^

I can do one-off kits but the brackets won't be all CNC machined lovelyness, and will cost a bit more. If we can get five people who want the smaller kit I'm happy to run a CNC batch and throw the rest into stock.

All of today I've been working on doing you guys "profiles" of the kits (in each size) in PDF format....although as I'm in the parts store which is 6 deg-C INDOORS my fingers are getting slower by the minute! Once they are finished you can print them out, check you have a 1:1 scale print, stick it to card and cut it out and shove it up your wheels to see what happens.

How about that! :thumbsup:

I do my best! :thumbsup:

Cop a load of this gents, any help?

275mm EP91 kit profile, accurate to about 1.0mm: 275mm WMS kit PDF

Proposed smallest possible 262.5mm EP91 kit profile, accurate to about 1.0mm: 262.5mm WMS kit PDF

It's possible to go "deeper" on the smaller kit to get away from the spokes (by 5mm) but this is the only quick/easy one...

wow these look awesome mate, good work.

Will see how i get on with my ae111 twin pots but these are getting my thumbs up and good price!!!

Cheers! B)

F.A.O. TGTT visitors!!!! B)

Just to clarify:

Edited, updated prices are here:

WMS Brakes For 54mm Hub Starlets (>92 Turbo (EP82) etc)

&

WMS Brakes For 55mm Hub Starlets ('92-'96 Turbo (EP82), '96> Turbo (EP92) etc)

Regarding the discs and track use, we don't see a potential problem (based on our previous experience with other kits) but there will be thicker discs, rotors on bells, and bigger kits available as time goes on IF people need them.

Also not one single WMS Toyota kit has ever had problems with warped discs that we've heard of and similarly regarding dust seal scaremongering, we guarantee them for 12 months even if you run them on a muddy rally car! We almost never need to send people these free seals, and in fact we SELL very few seals (for normal caliper rebuilds) even though many WMS kits have been out there for years! :thumbsup:

The pads used by the WMS T20 caliper are 100.6mm long, exactly the same size as the Wilwood pads! B)