• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

whats makes it better is the amber looks like a glow of orange due to protector on top

and miibs how did you change the colour of your fogs to 2 different ones?

i had 2 different bulbs in there lol

• 10 months later...

I literally just drilled a hole into the bottom of the indicator unit and extended the sidelight wiring on mine, seems that was alot easier than all this malarcky!

That's pretty much all I did too :) works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the sidelights r the same mate, just the headlights that differ in size

In them pics are they clear sidelight indicators above in that green starlet? I want that exact look on my starlet

Like a subtle glowing effect

Edited by Ep'd

It's a UK EP91 NA and they're clear/grey indicators, which I sprayed inside to replicate the '98 spec Glanza indicators.

They're exactly the same fitment as Glanza ones, but the glowing effect is due to my optional headlight protectors ;)

Stuff needed to make these.
- 4 piece's of wire 6-8 inches in length.
- Wire strippers.
- Lighter and screw driver OR a drill.
- 501 parking bulb holder (take this out of your headlights)
- 501 parking bulb and amber corner OR 501 amber bulb if you have clear indicator lenses.

1. You will have to sacrifice your parking lights in your headlights to do this. There's a way around this though if you want. Steps in paragraph no. 9

2. Start by taking off the indicator. Screw on the top and a clip at the bottom, give it a pull if the clip gets stuck.
487859_10150966673357001_1071850029_n.jp

3. You will have to take out your parking lights from the back of the headlights, these just screw out and there is a piece of wire around 2 inches long.

4. Snip this wire in the center, leaving enough wire on each side.

5. Join a piece of wire at one end of the parking light bulb holder to the piece of wire you just cut from, this extends the wire so it can stretch across to the back of the indicator lens. Do this for both the + and - pieces of wire being careful not to mix them up (use different colored wire to make this easier .ie red and black) Do the same on the drivers side indicator as well as the passenger side.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UNIVERSAL-501-REPLACEMENT-BULB-HOLDER-CONNECTOR-FREE-BULB-INCLUDED-/180791461299?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1802c5b3#ht_728wt_919

6. Now the 501 bulb and holder will be lit by the parking light switch at the stalk. You must now find a place to mount them. You can take out the indicator bulb and mount in in there but 1. there will be no indicator and you will be pulled over for this, and 2. The indicator bulb hole is bigger then the 501 parking light bulb holder. The correct way to mount these would be to drill a hole at the back of the indicator lens the exact diameter of the parking light. Around 15-20mm. I had no drill so I used a lighter and a flat head screw driver, I melted the back of the lens until the plastic got soft, and slowly made a hole with the flat head screw driver, being careful not to over do it as then the parking light bulb holder wouldn't fit in to the hole. These can be mounted anywhere are the back of the indicator lens but careful not to make the hole near the bottom as it will then not fit in as the indicator bulb will be in the way. Also make sure there is enough room for the back of the holder to stick out so it doesn't get obstructed by anything

Snapshot_20130216_2_zps5c138ced.jpg
7. I then stuck the 501 parking light in to the hole I made and mounted back on the indicator using the screw and pushed in the clip.

The light should illuminate with the parking light switch at the stalk and this is what it should look like.

Photo0457-1-1.jpg

Photo0460-1.jpg

Photo1053_zpsf65acb51.jpg
Photo0508.jpg

Here is a video of the indicator flashing and the USDM amber running light bulb being lit at the same time.

th_Video0003.jpg

8. If you want to keep your parking lights and wire these to a separate switch like your fog lamps are wired then you will need to pick up some 501 bulb holders. You should get these out of another scrap car like yours or else you might be able to buy these off ebay.

What you'll need here is.
- 2 extra 501 parking bulb holders.
- long piece of wire for switch.
- Switch.

9. In paragraph no. 4. I snipped the wire. If you want these and keep your parking lights, you just peel back the wire and join the wires from the 501 holders you bought on ebay or got off a scrap car to the original parking light bulb holder. Thus keeping your parking light and having a running light amber corner.

10. You then carry on like I did in paragraphs no. 5. 6. and 7.

11. To wire these to a switch so they can be illuminated when you have your fog lights off and turned off when you have them on or vice-versa. You must make a switch, Peel back the wire in the center of the wire going to the 501 bulb in the corner. Run the wires to a switch inside the cabin ie. next to the fog lamp switch. Then when you want you can have your headlights with either at the flick of a switch. icon_smile.gif

Hope this is help full. Pic's will be up this in a couple of days! Ask me any questions that ye want about this and I'll try help ye as best as possible! icon_smile.gif

Edited by jackkelly
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here it is, go some delivery problems but... :unknw:

I too had to modify the tabs on the holders. I removed the marker, and removed the lens to have an inside look as to the best position and where to cut.
DSC05916.jpg

Then I took the wires for the indicator and brought them back in the engine bay, through the hole they go out of from factory. I think that working there is a little more comfy than trying to do it stuck in the wheelwell between the fender and frame...

DSC05917.jpg
DSC05918.jpg

I I.D'd the wires on the socket, for me it was black/earth, Red/bright, and green/dim. So I hooked up the White/black on the black and the green/yellow on the socket's red.

Next was to I.D the marker, Plain simple, it's the green wire there:
DSC05919.jpg

It's too short so I extended it with a blue wire, so it could follow the same path as the other two wires and hooked it on the socket's green wire. Note that I cut mine, but if you still want to retain the stock light as well you can splice it.
DSC05920.jpg

Testing marker and indicator:
DSC05921.jpg
DSC05922.jpg

If all works reinstall, repeat on the other side and enjoy, Here's a comparison after and before... Markers and indicators.
DSC05924.jpg
DSC05929.jpg