Considering A 4efe Running Bike Carbs. Has Anyone Got Any Info About This.

as title. i am getting a starlet sr and i eventually want to turbo it. i already have a 4efte engine in need of a re-build in my garage which i am going to take my time with. so while i am waiting i want to tune up the standard 1.3. does anyone know any good mods and would bike carbs work ok on it? i dont know much about these cars as i have owned and worked on vauxhalls all my life so any replies will be appreciated. thanks.

Hello matey one of theys inlet manifolds off a toyota corolla bug eye should give it a bit more bhp not sure how much but it dose help it rev better through the rev range here a pic of it :D you can pick one up for £30/40 from a breakers yard

carpics011.jpg

Hello matey one of theys inlet manifolds off a toyota corolla bug eye should give it a bit more bhp not sure how much but it dose help it rev better through the rev range here a pic of it :D you can pick one up for £30/40 from a breakers yard

carpics011.jpg

that would prob be the best power per pound mod compared to bike carbs as youd need a custom inlet mani made a set of carbs jetted to suit the car and no doubt management to get it all running well which would prob end up rather expensive.bogg bros do inlet manifolds for around 250carbs around 80+ then getting them setup, management 600?just to give you an idea.im sure someone had asked about this recently cant remember who tho hope this is of some help

Hey!!

ITBS has never been taken on by anyone few have come close but have ditched it all for the FTE.....the gains are just not known.

To get set-up you will need

• ITBS (750 variant seems to be the most popular)
  • silicone joiners
  • Velocity stacks/air filter arrangement
  • Inlet manifold to chop up
  • Management (to control fueling + spark)
  • To get the best out of the air thats coming in you will need cams (this is where it gets expensive a decent set of cams will set you back £200+ i wouldnt go for the FHE ones for the 1mm lift or so there really isnt any point)
  • Head work (port and polish)
  • Uprated valve springs, the FE ones are made of chocolate and max out at around ~6300rpm so there not much use over a long period of time with a engine you will be reving high. The FTE ones are a cheap alternative but again you`ll have problems around ~7400 (the next option is aftermarket ones at £200 or so)
  • After market header/exhaust system the extra air coming in has to get out quickly aswell
  • Rev gauge + shift light

Im not sure on how the fueling arrangement will hold up possible FTE fuel pump (if its bigger) and FTE injectors may be needed...that seems everything :D

After all that theres the question of how long the bottom end will hold out along with the gearbox at such high rpms...

A

Just hit me, you asked about carbs not ITBS......as far as im aware carbs are a totally diff story :D

same principle if you're planning on keeping it injection.

Although I am unsure on where the injectors are in these engines, the head or inlet. But still same principle, just if it's in inlet, need to make the new inlet with ports for them etc etc.

If you plan on junking injection, would need to drop fuel pressure, and also get some spark only management of some form as the carbs will do the fueling.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to butt in but would like to re ignite this thread, have been thinking of running carbs instead of spending money on expensive Ecu's.

Was thinking to try mate that Corolla 4 branch with a 44 mm su carb, using a different fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator but would like ideas of what to do about ignition timing, would a distributor from a 3e engine fit on to 4e. It is possible as the grass track guys do it with k11s using k10 distributor (which I might also have a look at) anyway any ideas would be appreciated if I get round to it I'll post it up. Peace.

The "4e-f" (carburetted 4e) distributor has weights on the shaft like a traditional carb motor, with a vacuum advance and a built in igniter setup with the coil... Its basically an efi distributor but with mechanical advance instead of ecu controlled timing. The 2 pin distributor plug is the same, and the only one necessary.

Bike carbs are more expensive and tedious than efi.

I ran mikuni bs36 (yamaha fj1100) bike carbs on my 4e-f motor for a while, mated perfectly to a cut tubular intake manifold. Was part one of my experiment to prove the efficiency capabilities of constant velocity slides with individual throttles. But the needle that meters the fuel worr into the emulsion tubes causing them to run like garbage aftet a time, and the cost of replacement parts for the carbs came to over 80usd for each slide, and over $1000usd for a set of new/refurbished carbs. I Purchased 04 yamaha r6 itbs with injectors, tps, map sensor and harness for $19 usd. Fuel injection, retaining the constant velocity slide application to continue my project.

IG @c.n.a.b. for picture documentation and any questions.

Edited by Sudden
  • 2 months later...