Autoglym Super Resin Polish (srp) F.a.q

Since SRP is arguably the most commonly used 'off-the-shelf' polish out there I thought this would come in handy to people.

It was originally written by Matthijs on DetailingWorld and the original thread can be found HERE with many more Q and A's. I personally asked Matthijs for permission to post this up on UKSC to which he kindly agreed.

What is Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP)?

SRP is probably one of the most popular products from Autoglym.

It is a lightly abbrasive polish with a lot of fillers and it also contains a light sealant.

What will the fillers do?

Fillers fill up swirls and light scratches for a certain amount of time. Since there is also a light sealant in SRP it means that it offers protection for maybe 1 or 2 months. The fillers will disolve after some time so each time you wash your car, more swirls will be visible. To keep that nice looking paint after when you just polished your car with SRP, you have to polish with SRP about 6 times a year.

How much correction does SRP offer?

The cuttingfactor from SRP between 0 to 10 would be 0,5 or 1. It isn't meant to offer real correction, although it gives a corrected look to your car when applied correctly.

How can you apply SRP?

SRP can be applied by hand, dual action polisher, random orbital polisher or rotary polisher.

How do you apply SRP by hand

You can apply SRP by hand using foam pads like Meguiar's Gold Class High Tech Applicator Pad, German Applicator, or any other foam applicator. Microfibre pads work too.

Apply a few Skittle sized blobs on your applicator and spread it on the paint. Work on areas which have the size of about half a door. Then work it really well untill it becomes a little hazy or clear. Then buff off with a microfibre towel.

How do you apply SRP by machine?

Use a light polishing or polishing pad. Apply a few Skittle sized blobs on your applicator and spread it on the paint. Work on areas which have the size of about half a door. Then work it really well untill it becomes a little hazy or clear. Then buff off with a microfibre towel.

Can you apply more layers of SRP

Yes you can. The more layers you give your car, the more swirls that will be filled. Up to 5 layers would work really good.

Does SRP need to cure?

It's not necessary, but you can let it cure.

Can you use a glaze after SRP?

Yes, you can use a glaze after SRP.

Can you top SRP with a sealant and/or wax?

Yes, one of both or both works great. A really good sealant to top SRP with is Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. A good wax after SRP is Autoglym High Definition Wax but any other wax will work fine, as long it won't contain cleaners since cleaners remove the fillers.

Can SRP leave scratches or marring?

No, but dirty applicators or too aggresive pads with the machine can.

How do you remove old SRP from the paint?

By polishing or claying the paint.

Can you use SRP on vinyl stickers?

Yes, you can. Don't apply it to harsh, but other than that it won't do damage.

Will SRP do a good job on faded colors?

SRP will do a great job on faded colors!

Can SRP be used on wheels?

SRP leaves a great finish on wheels, along to some protection against brake dust and road grime!

How to prevent dust with SRP?

Lightly spritz your pad with water or detailerspray. This will give the SRP a thinner coverage with less dust.

nice post . used this a few times on parts of my car but i think its passed polishin on mainly the roof :D but when i use it on the bootlid it shines like a mofo and its good to know what its actually doin after reading that :D

• 1 year later...

A little personal advice from spending the past 5 years buffing cars, a slightly worn pad for your polisher seems to work better than a new pad, I've found using a filler spreader (like a stiffer, thicker, large debit card) to take 1mm off the pad, and i always finish with a glaze, and dont forget to protect your black textured plastics as it can be a reet pain to get polish out the grain!

• 2 months later...

Great post and must say ive used SRP alot and i found the longer i left it on the car the better the result was, i mean i left it on at least 1-2 hours once and it was amazing, seemed to help it settle into the swirls better BUT do not use it in the evening when temp changes (IMO) as gets colder and doesnt work as good (Just my opinion :) )

Only problem with SRP is the shitty dust off it :(

SRP has recently had its formula revised which now means that it produces less dust and works even better than before. I have been reading nothing but good things about the new one and it's looking to be pretty impressive.

Great post and must say ive used SRP alot and i found the longer i left it on the car the better the result was, i mean i left it on at least 1-2 hours once and it was amazing, seemed to help it settle into the swirls better BUT do not use it in the evening when temp changes (IMO) as gets colder and doesnt work as good (Just my opinion :) )

You can also layer SRP, I saw a thread where someone did 5 layers and the car looked stunning. These kind of products will definitely work better when left for a while, means they'll be harder to buff off and cause more dust usually but it's normally quite rewarding!

Not just your opinion, very few detailing products actually work well in low temperatures.

Not generally a fan of Autoglym myself, but if I want something cheap to apply quickly via DA/hand with good results, I'll always opt for the SRP, it's a great product.

• 2 years later...