Wow five years since I updated this. Fair amount of work has been done now. Old Exedy clutch shat itself in October a couple of weeks before I headed to the Lake District so unfortunately that trip wasn’t quite as fun to drive.

The Walbro fuel pump was making a horrible noise so I’ve replaced that with a Quantum 340lph universal pump. These things are far better than Walbro. So much so I have a perfectly working Walbro in my Silvia but that junk is being replaced too. I’ve also got overnight parts from Japan in the form of a Sard pressure regulator, these things are really compact and well worth the cash. 

The rocker cover finally had a had a Male over with AN10 fittings welded on (not by me as my aluminium welding dreadful at best) and a lick of Team Burst inspired paint. 

I’ve finally sorted the mesh that was on the turbo and fitted a K&N filter in the bumper. 

Also the past past few months I’ve been going through replacing all the old bushes. Drop links are now polybushed with SuperPro universal one, all three engine mounts were dead they’ve been changed to Powerflex black series, and I am now working through the rest of the car. 

I can confirm the Tegiwa harness bar does fit, I’ve created a how to thread on the work involved including full spec for the extra parts needed. 

I’ve also machines up some solid shifter bushes. If anyone would like the spec on these I can upload that too. 

The following post will be picture heavy. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid shifter bushes. BQZc8FJ.jpg

K&N filter fitted. GOWlWiH.jpgi6vy6bY.jpg

Custom catch can parts and final product. 

iKZAUHv.jpglilT2q1.jpgtcH4BQv.jpgKs5y7DD.jpg

Modified rocker cover. 

yfAQI9K.jpgujR7mHq.jpgdXaGWDI.jpg

Did some heat wrapping

afkIPnB.jpg

New clutch

TRie2QE.jpgICTBv1Q.jpg

Various bushes. 4cE8rHA.jpg

pP3h4N5.jpgiRwD1wS.jpgqNrYY5z.jpg

Various fuelling parts

sMRXBZ1.jpgEmkCeCZ.jpg

Harness barwJWqgQQ.jpg

Resprayed the rear bumper and JAM splitter. Had some filling to do where I had cracked the splitter. For an electrician I don’t think it’s a bad jobBoOgfbx.jpg8gfSpQH.jpgJe3gbWY.jpg

7 hours ago, 00joeindastarb0 said:

Looks awesome, I didnt know you could get those universal droplinks I've just replaced mine with rubber ones dammit

I can’t remember where I got them now. The drop links are starlet specific but the bushes are universal. Use the part number on the packet and you’ll be able to get them. 

21 hours ago, federalman said:

I can get you the paint code when I get in if you need it? It’s a cellulose paint, final top was 90% high gloss thinner flatted with 2000 and then cellulose lacquer

Could you please check. I guess its  3E5 Mate! If not love to know the code. 

• 6 months later...

Not much has happened since the last update on here. Got some 420cc Subaru injectors as I'm fed up with the car running lean at times and massively over fuelling. Naturally the standard ECU couldn't trim out enough, though it did sit at a constant AFR. Looks like it'll be time to change it so that's a shame. Currently looking at an ME221, they seem to tick all the boxes but they don't have loads of features I shall never use. Plus you can load on a base map and auto tune it. I have wideband so I think I'll try and live map it as a friend of mine has a Tomei reytec he has had to tune himself and he's had some good results on it. I see on here a couple of people have had bad experiences but I read nothing but good reviews from the mx5 crowd so I think I'll take the plunge. 

Unfortunately the Glanza has taken a backseat for a while whilst I work on my Silvia. The joys of running two cars you've always wanted.

So spec list of this thing to date isn't bad at all. Bit of custom work I've done myself, which I'm pretty happy with considering I'm just someone in a garage with a few tools. I'm also working on a Silvia still which has a lot more of my own fabrication for. I have a build thread on driftworks that I've just started updating though I may well put it on here if there's a place for other cars?

So far it's running:

TD04 turbo (in need of a rebuild)

Racetech TD04 externally gated manifold/screamer/downpipe

Race spec cam cover in Pinkstyle colour scheme and custom catch can

Tial MVS 44 wastegate

K&N filter mounted behind front bumper with custom pipework

Blitz front mount intercooler

HKS silent hipower exhaust

Magnecore competition ignition leads

NGK iridium plugs

Competition Clutch stage 4 paddle clutch and standard flywheel

Standard engine internals

Powerflex black series engine and gearbox mounts

420cc Subaru injectors (waiting on ECU)

Do-Luck braided brake lines

EBC yellow stuff pads

Powerflex panhard rod bushes

Tein lowering springs

Rota HM3 wheels

FTO front seats on custom rails

Sparco harnesses

Blitz turbo timer

Blitz Spec s boost controller

Blitz boost gauge

AEM wideband

Rear seats stripped and rear carpeted

Whiteline rear brace

Standard front brace

Tegiwa harness bar modified to fit

Quantum 340 lph e85 compatible fuel pump

Sard fuel pressure regulator 

TRD Duracon gear knob

Edited by federalman

Yeh not a bad spec for something I was never intending on going quite that far with! 

Plenty more I’d like but unfortunately the Silvia is in that seat at the minute so for now I’ll settle for a new ECU so I can fit some bigger injectors

• 8 months later...

Been a while, had quite a lot going on of recent having moved a few months back and building myself a workshop. Rebuilt the TD04 and ported the turbine housing whilst I was at it. Still stinks of burning oil however. I suspect the oil return is causing the problem as it’s always been a bit long and is currently squashed slightly causing a restriction. If anyone has some suggestions as to anything else it could be I’m all ears. Got it balanced though and there were no issues of it leaking oil during that. Anyway here’s some photos