Brake problem

Well, in honesty, not sure how much of a problem it is but here goes.....

Recently (the past few weeks), when I brake at low speeds bout 15mph or slower (like in traffic), there's a 'clunk' noise as I depress the brake pedal.

Weird thing is though, the brakes work fine and stop the car jut as effectively as when I first got the car and also when at higher speeds there's no clunking noise when I activate the brakes... :ph34r:

Obviously there shouldnt be any noise really when you engage the breaks so there must be something wrong.

I just need to know if anyone can tell me what is wrong and how badly it needs sorting out.

Cheers in advance!

My suggestion could be a worn suspension mount or bush -- when you're braking it shifts forward a little and "clunks". Though I'd imagine this would happen at high speed too... maybe you just can't hear it for road noise?

Take the wheel off and see if you can move the disc on the studs,sounds daft but my old GT4 did the same sort of thing.The disc was moving forward on the studs when braking causing a clunk at low speed but not high speed,changed the discs and all was fine after that.Failing that it's gonna be a suspension issue.

this could be really stupid but is it something rolling around in your boot or car. i had the exact same thing and it was my porthole rolling around inside the sub box. i thought it was suspention related but in the end it was just me being a grade A idiot. i looked everywhere but never thought to look inside the sub box.

i assume you have checked stuff like this so it may be the other things mentioned.

How old is the car? The suspension bushes are rubber and perish over time,it's not always milage that affects things.

Is an S reg so was built in 99 in believe so isn't event that old. Unless 7 years is about how long the suspension bushes last.

Might be an excuse I could use to upgrade them to better ones though :unsure:

this could be really stupid but is it something rolling around in your boot or car. i had the exact same thing and it was my porthole rolling around inside the sub box. i thought it was suspention related but in the end it was just me being a grade A idiot. i looked everywhere but never thought to look inside the sub box.

i assume you have checked stuff like this so it may be the other things mentioned.

I thought the same thing and checked a while ago, Haven't had anything in my boot for ages.

good suggestion though.

Thanks for all the help you've given so far though guys. Is really appreciated!

Riteo, whilst on the topic, any recommendations as to which suspension bushes to upgrade to and where from?

Have seen some on funkystyling.co.uk for what seems like an ok price but have never done anything to my car before so treading carefully in terms of spendin out as don't know what is and isn't a good price.

Opinions if you please people?