REVISED DIY brake upgrade

22 hours ago, Calum122 said:

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you just go with the WMS setup route?

I got a used set on my Starlet, didn't pay much more than the Astra disc setup and with no modifications just bolt on.

Now I have heard not great stuff about the WMS setup, and I can't say my car "feels" like it's on four pots. That said, I couldn't bleed the ST202 calipers yet the WMS bled instantly and passed the MOT.

Callum,

apologies if I’m being dumb here.

when you say the wms setup, do you mean using the levin callipers and carriers but then using wms discs?

many thanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, 5e colin said:

YUP LEVIN BZR twinpot calipers and cariers and corsa c  gsi 260mm disks ( check disk height as some differ ) is direct bolt on no messing with spacers or longer studs  

ive guided a few members on here to that setup direkt fit   

Thanks for the confirmation and putting that nice and simple Colin, those of us who are great mechanics need it in a nice simple language. :D

On 8/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, 5e colin said:

YUP LEVIN BZR twinpot calipers and cariers and corsa c  gsi 260mm disks ( check disk height as some differ ) is direct bolt on no messing with spacers or longer studs  

ive guided a few members on here to that setup direkt fit   

Dumb question since you said a direct fit but just wanting to check do the corsa discs clear the hub then? I bought astra 1.6 discs that are 256mm but they don't fit over the hub. I'm gonna take them to an engineering firm to get the centres machined out a bit but if I get this set up running then in the future when I need to change discs it would be good to know.

Also I don't suppose you can tell me where to buy a ring to make up for the difference in centre bore sizes can you? I've bought regular alloy wheel springot rings but they're designed for wheels so the shape isn't right.

I'll try the engineering bit if they can make me up a set of rings.

Sorry for the questions, I've bought a set of astra discs and mr2 discs now and need to sort my brakes.

2 hours ago, Calum122 said:

No just the WMS four pots that they sell for these cars.

I know you shouldn’t do brakes on the cheap but if I can avoid spending £750+ on a brake set up (let me stress, I don’t know exactly how much the WMS brake set up is) and find a kit that works brilliantly at a third of the price, I would prefer to.

2 hours ago, garbs said:

I know you shouldn’t do brakes on the cheap but if I can avoid spending £750+ on a brake set up (let me stress, I don’t know exactly how much the WMS brake set up is) and find a kit that works brilliantly at a third of the price, I would prefer to.

The WMS setup isn't £750. 4 POT KITS (each includes calipers/brackets+inserts/bolts etc/discs):
4P107-S - Normal 275x22 size kit with best wheel clearance (printable clearance test profile: 275x22 kit PDF ) = £485.00+vat

10 hours ago, Calum122 said:

The WMS setup isn't £750. 4 POT KITS (each includes calipers/brackets+inserts/bolts etc/discs):
4P107-S - Normal 275x22 size kit with best wheel clearance (printable clearance test profile: 275x22 kit PDF ) = £485.00+vat

Thanks Calum.

the £750 was a guess on the price from my part.

its still £580 with vat which in the grand scheme of things isn’t that bad compared to other costs of performance parts.

would still like to see if there is similar stopping power for half the price though.

1 minute ago, garbs said:

Thanks Calum.

the £750 was a guess on the price from my part.

its still £580 with vat which in the grand scheme of things isn’t that bad compared to other costs of performance parts.

would still like to see if there is similar stopping power for half the price though.

Speaking from someone who's "Been There, Done That", I'd just get the WMS Setup.

After I bought the kit, faffed around and spent money on other components, I wasn't from £400. At which point a used set came up and I grabbed those.

People are breaking High Spec Starlets all the time, so getting a set is pretty easy.

That's just speaking from experience.

I've not even got my levin twinpots installed on the car yet and wish I hadn't bothered. There's way too much faffing about, wish I'd went with the easier solution or just kept the original brakes and got decent pads.