REVISED DIY brake upgrade

Levin twinpots

Celica st202 carriers

astra 1.7tdci 277mm discs

Spigot ring to center/locate disc.

Longer brake lines

Celica pads.

Instant 277mm disc upgrade no machining needed.

why longer brake lines morgey?....i run this exact set up, but then again i have braided lines,,,i never checked to see if they were longer than stock when i changed over years ago

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fatty EP91 also, can test some day. Point was that Levin disks are same offset, only little bit bigger and thiker than MR2 disks, so this don't help anything to 5mm spacer under disk thing.

Here carriers and calibers from left ZZW30 MR2, AE82 Gti Corolla and AE111 Levin Corolla.

20160628_210100_zps3o4m5bbe.jpg

Can test EE100 Corolla carriers some day, I have that spare car also. SW20 MR2 tested also, won't fit anyway

Here are red n/a SW20 MR2 -1990 Rev1 vs Levin AE111 carriers and calibers. Brakepads are same, but other parts can't mix between. And MR2 arriers won't fit to any Starlet or Paseo hub. Calibers maybe to ST202 carriers, but not on Levin carriers what I looked fast. I don't have turbo SW20 calibers and carriers, because went straight to four piston Brembo calibers and custommade carriers. Pads are same anyway...

20160905_190331_zpsahfrf3zz.jpg

20160905_190234_zpsfbftixjv.jpg

20160905_190353_zpsikwjzlk0.jpg

20160905_190502_zpsqsdkslsa.jpg

Was talking to a mate of mine who is clued up about Corolla's and MR2's, he was telling me there's a way of using a 275mm disc with Levin twins.

Whether that would be better than the single ST185 I don't know, as the ST165/early ST185 had twins, and late ST185 singles. I would presume the latter is better, but that may also be due to the increase in disc diameter

Was talking to a mate of mine who is clued up about Corolla's and MR2's, he was telling me there's a way of using a 275mm disc with Levin twins.

Whether that would be better than the single ST185 I don't know, as the ST165/early ST185 had twins, and late ST185 singles. I would presume the latter is better, but that may also be due to the increase in disc diameter

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 4:07 AM, Jack Tibbs said:

Read through this thread and no better understanding than before haha. 
Have Glanza V ep91, want bigger brakes has to be all bolt on less the need for spigot rings and or grinding.
What calipers and what discs?
Many thanks.

I concur with this.

As someone who isn't the most technically minded [and wants it as easy as possible!], I just want to buy stuff and fit it.

If there is anyone out there who makes these kits, I'd certainly buy one.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:07 AM, Jack Tibbs said:

Read through this thread and no better understanding than before haha. 
Have Glanza V ep91, want bigger brakes has to be all bolt on less the need for spigot rings and or grinding.
What calipers and what discs?
Many thanks.

YUP LEVIN BZR twinpot calipers and cariers and corsa c  gsi 260mm disks ( check disk height as some differ ) is direct bolt on no messing with spacers or longer studs  

ive guided a few members on here to that setup direkt fit   

5 hours ago, 5e colin said:

YUP LEVIN BZR twinpot calipers and cariers and corsa c  gsi 260mm disks ( check disk height as some differ ) is direct bolt on no messing with spacers or longer studs  

ive guided a few members on here to that setup direkt fit   

That’s good To know as my set up is getting ready for some new discs. 

10 minutes ago, rob_bower said:

That’s good To know as my set up is getting ready for some new discs. 

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you just go with the WMS setup route?

I got a used set on my Starlet, didn't pay much more than the Astra disc setup and with no modifications just bolt on.

Now I have heard not great stuff about the WMS setup, and I can't say my car "feels" like it's on four pots. That said, I couldn't bleed the ST202 calipers yet the WMS bled instantly and passed the MOT.