removing ABS

Right guys, engine is coming out next weekend so while I am at it I want to remove the ABS and all the unnecessary rubbish!!

Now my ABS has never worked and I have Wilwoods waiting to go on so was jut wondering what I needed to buy before I go ripping it all out.

Do I need new brake lines or to blank anything off?

A guide would be good if you could point me to one :)

Thanks Lewis

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2x T pieces (10x1mm)

8x unions (10x1mm)

copper brake pipe (unsure of sixe as i went braided lines)

brake line flaring tool

right start at the abs pump undo the brake lines that go in it there

DSC02025.jpg

then undo the lines off the brake master cylinder,

you should be albe to remove some of the lines from the car now

front brakes!

on the top of the inner wings there a joiner for the brake lines,

undo the brake lines on the side that run to the abs unit,

you will have to make up 2 new lines from the joiner to a T piece ( which can be bolted to the bulkhead)

the make up another line to run from the T piece to the brake master cylinder

on the master cylinder use the hole on the side nearest the windscreen,

rear brakes!

on the bulkhead you should see a bit that looks like this

ffdea400.jpg

undo the lines at the top and gently bend them so that you can fit the second T piece like this

ff204bcc.jpg

then make up a line that runs from the T piece back to the master cylinder

8faef659.jpg

then its a case of bleeding up the brakes and cheak for any leaks

i hope this helps you guys if you are still a bit confused pm me and i try to help as much as i can

In this pic, can we take the pump out? and do all 4 of the pipes on the side become redunant?

DSC02025.jpg

Also can you show us an invoice of the braided lines so we know what lengths are required

Cheers, great help so far

I have a good idea now Si.

Basically you undo the lines that come out of the ABS unit, follow the lines to the junction box on the bulkhead and remove that with the lines.

Replace the juction box with the 2 T-pieces, connect the front lines to the one T-piece and the rear lines to the other, then join the T-pieces with the braided lines to the Master cylinder.

Mark told me you need to measure up the lengths if you want braided lines made up.

I am not sure on the unions though, says we need 8 so I presume 6 go on the end of the T-pieces and the other 2 go on the master cylinder ends?

oh good ok mate, if you buy two lots of everything one for you one for me, i'll pay the postage etc

then we can get it all done properly together and see how its done

Cheers

Si

oh who made up the lines for you?

In this pic, can we take the pump out? and do all 4 of the pipes on the side become redunant?

DSC02025.jpg

Also can you show us an invoice of the braided lines so we know what lengths are required

Cheers, great help so far

the pump in the pic can be taking out completely,

i can try and work out the lenghts for you but mine front lines are one piece. they run from the cailper to the T piece,

and sicaln i am working not to far from you next week if your still not 100% sure

Hey Si almost done mate, everything is removed apart from the little junction box on the bulkhead which wont take 2 seconds and I have everything now to pipe it back up will try and add a bit more to Marks guide :D

• 10 months later...