A brake upgrade

As the project is sat on the drive, not road legal...the brakes have turned to dust with the shit weather so I need to replace all round really.

I've just got these for the fronts, 275mm discs with 4 pot calipers and Endless NA-A pads.

outlaw1.jpg

outlaw2.jpg

They've been on the yahoo auctions for ages, months infact so I decided to take the plunge when the seller relisted yesterday!

My question(s) is:

With these on the front will 15" rims still fit or will I have to go to 16s...and has anyone put the front brakes onto the rear? waht was involved and would you need a brake bias adjuster?

Hmm...never heard of them, but bear in mind the EP isn't my number one area of skill, that's the MR2. When I last owned an EP82 most of you were still in nappies :)

Looking at the site, unless my eyes are missing something (probarbly) the R32 brake kit is 96k and mods are needed? So the Outlaw are still cheaper dood.

Hmm...never heard of them, but bear in mind the EP isn't my number one area of skill, that's the MR2. When I last owned an EP82 most of you were still in nappies :)

Looking at the site, unless my eyes are missing something (probarbly) the R32 brake kit is 96k and mods are needed? So the Outlaw are still cheaper dood.

they can be had for less than that, toby's sourced em over on tgtt.

also, the mods in question are those adaptor plate things that come with the outlaws, plus them outlaws have obv been around for a while.

fair play for taking the plunge, you're a braver man than i.

considering that though, if you're an mr2 nut, did you consider modifying some mr2 calipers/carriers to fit? its been done in the past and as you obv know them well i thought you may have looked into that in the past.

I don't see how a part listed by the manufacturer at 96k can be had for less unless they're used...or bought in bulk.

By taking the plunge do you mean the cost? I'm not too impressed with the price but the guy wouldn't drop them (they originally were at 100k) and there's been nothing else on there brake related sadly :) To put things into perspective though, I've just imported a set of Endless 6 pots for R32 with 350mm discs and they cost over £1100.

MR2 nut...hehe, I used to be, my 2 (which is STILL for sale...damn thing) is sat on the drive, not driven since before christmas. I could use or try to use many of the parts from that on the EP but would rather sell it all and keep the cash for future projects.

Not a bad suggestion though on the brakes :D but I reckon now I've gone the route of the Outlaws, I'll just get some aftermarket discs and pads for the rear and service the calipers...any suggestions on where to get some in the UK?

on aftermarket rears? there are none, and they aren't really needed, the stock ones do the job just fine, they barely do anything anyway.

OEM replacements with decent pads should do the job, its not like they'll add anything to the situation anyway with 4pots up front.

yes i know he wouldnt lower the price, i've contacted him before, and a friend of mine is buying some of his other interesting items (which again he wont lower the price on, cheeky git).

id upgrade the pads and braded lines if i would touch the rears :D

not to say you canot fit rear calipers and a brake bias valve - seen brembos on the back of an 82 aswell as tarox calipers so it can be done - if you have the knowlage to do it then thats sound :)

I was meaning where in the UK to get some decent rear discs and pads and braided lines for the stock setup :)

Some sellers on Yahoo are having a right laugh with their prices when they first list. I recall a guy selling a top spec JUN engine for the SW20 for 1million yen which is cheap for what it is, but it's still on there now (9 months later) for less than half that.

Problem I tell people all the time, if you really want a part, pay the price as if the item doesn't sell either the seller doesn't relist and sells elsewhere or they lower the price and you get outbid lol.

you could try dba, failing that a japanese motorfactors or toyota mate in regards to the discs,

im not aware of what model of 82 it is but if the rear disc has a sensor in it for the abs equates to rediculusly expensive!!

im not aware of any grooved rear discs but you could always get them grooved yourself by a mechine shop :)

braded lines and discs you could try fensport or dave burwash or you could try aproaching goodritch themselves

pads you can get from ebc they have their own website or check the auctions over there for decent grade jap pads???

greenstuff are pretty good but harsh on the discs ive heard mixed reports about tarox

Cheers Enzo,

it's the 4e-fte gt model...I just wondered if there were any grooved discs in the UK for the rears to save me importing them...might aswell go for Endless then or similar. I've heard that about Greenstuff too, very abrasive. But racing spec brakes used as intended aren't supposed to last long are they...or engines for that matter :)

One final question here...

I've found a source in Japan for rear uprated discs and pads and goodridge hoses.

Do I just upgrade the stock items (keeping the calipers) and leave at that...or do I fit some stock items from an mr2 etc. Will the brake need a bias adjuster or be all good...which method would you go for bearing inmind the front brakes are fairly meaty

im not an expert on this but uprated pads and lines should be sufficient as your ep is such a stripped out light beast,

someone could correct me if im wrong but i would only imagin you needing a brake bias or upgrading the calipers if you had a car that was considerably heavyer than the starlet

ive only ever heard of one guy uprating the rears and that was mainly cause it was a show ep,

all the race eps i have seen have stuck with oe calipers with uprated pads allround, braded lines,cusco bcs which leads me to believe any rear upgrade would be overkill????

sorry i couldent have been more help

that's all the help I need Enzo :p

Will order my discs, pads and braded lines.

Does anyone want a front set of braded hoses?...cheap price.

Also...do I need to order anything special disc or pad wise..or is it just EP82 Starlet Turbo discs and pads?

you cant really fault endless but im not gend up on the different friction compounds available,

il take those braided lines off you for a cheap price, goin to see amotor i might get tonight to use for the track, so they can be used for them :p