Updated with latest dyno results (570hp)The Drag Slag

Been a long time since I updated my car on her, rather than ressurect the old thread with alot of obsolete info in it, I thought I would post up a nice fresh thread.

The ultimate goal with the car is to make 500hp at the start of the year and 600hp at the end of the year, the full power of the car would only be used on a few choice runs over at Shakespear or Santa Pod, a cool 400hp I think will do for playing at the tracks in Ireland. I'll be Chasing a 10sec run, anything lower is a bonus but ultimately anywhere in the 10s will do.

I'll update it as time goes on but I hope to have it completed over the next month as the car build is finalised.

I'll start with the cars history, then I can document this years build in progress.

This is her back when I bought it, it was basically my first car, when I past my test I drove a 1.6 Punto sporting for 3 months then after my brother letting my drive his MR2 Turbo and feeling what a turbo motor felt like I was commited to buying my own we beasty!

07-01-05_0218.jpg

07-01-05_0220.jpg

The car was bog standard bar an HKS airfilter and an unknown make of cat back exhaust. I think I had her 2 months before I decided I needed more power, it was also about this time that I blew the CT9 to crap so turbo off and sent away to TurboForce for a hybrid build based on a GT15 turbo.

Also fitted a Decat, exhaust mani, fuel pump and reg and a Blitz Front Mount.

This is her getting said work done.

13-11-06_1925.jpg

And at a members meet soon after.

rollingroadmarch08026pk9.jpg

I never dynoed her at this stage but I'd guess it was 190 or so, I ran 1.3bar boost through the hybrid CT9 and it never complained once. At this stage I had no idea of mechanics or AFRs or det, was basically a case of screw up the fuel pressure and go have some fun.

This got boring though after 6 months and the car started to feel slower and slower (it wasn't, was just me getting used to it). So I thought ok TD04 time.

Bought a brand new WEPR TD04 kit and Sidewinder exhaust system.

This is her getting it all fitted, still back in the days when I did it all myself.

enginebay.jpg

I was getting a little wiser at this stage and took her for an AFR and Det check down to AI motorsport, the car was running just 0.8 bar and made 225hp if my memory is correct, which today seems very high to me for what was done. Here is a poor quality video of her on the dyno back then.

Once again I enjoyed the car for a couple of months untill I got used to the power. It was around this time I bumped into Chris@CCM at one of the meets, this was long before he was a trader and only getting started in the mapping scene. He agreed to put in an emanage blue and crank up the boost a tad.

So 1.1bar was achieved, then after a while we went to 1.4bar (still stock engine). I raced the car for about 6 months at this spec. Then I decided to go for the infamous 5E build!

Replaced any worn out parts with better parts.

PAL7000.jpg

Though this wasn't without its annoyances. I got her built up and replaced the TD04 with Aze_Bs old hybrid TD05. Got a map on her and went to the dyno.

Unfortunatly it wasn't a nice surprised I got, the TD05 5E only made a few extra ponnies over the smaller turbo setup and 4E engine.

RRpic.jpg

I can't remember now what the problem was but as soon as we got it sorted the emanage blue was removed and an Ultimate was fitted along with a new cylinder head and some decent cams.

Head4.jpg

Head3.jpg

Back up to CCM for a remap!

Spuddy5Enew.jpg

Once again drove it for a few months and the ugly monster strikes again and tells me I'm bored! So off I go down to ECC and ask Bob for one of his finest Direct Port nitrous kits!

Fitting of the kit in my living room over christmas (while drunk) possibly not the best idea to be messing with this stuff when under the influance, but sure these things happen.

03-01-10_1421.jpg

Image037.jpg

The cooling power of nitrous!!!!

frozendistblock.jpg

Ok fairly confident I have it all plumbed in correctly so its back up to the Dyno with Chris for some very very low boost and cautious tests of the nitrous. We see some nice gains on like for like boost.

RR.jpg

It was at this stage we decided to make the change over to race fuel while running on the nitrous simply to keep det at bay, at this stage we had no clue what we were doing with nitrous nor what to expect, partially due to not known how nitrous feels and works and partially cause I fitted it when I was drunk!

Fuel in, nitrous bottle open and chris gives me the nervous nod to try it out the road. Feels good so up to the dyno for a very very nice surprise!

spuddy1.png

I then decided I wanted to change the ECU from a piggyback to a full standalone, due to a few odd happenings while racing the car, just seemed like the ECU couldn't do its job fast enough and cause launch control failures and engine cut outs when going into 3rd gear.

I choose the Haltech PS1000 and got CCM to install the unit. Due to work commitments for Chris and my panic to get it ready for Ten of the Best in 2 weeks, I dropped the car into East Coast Customs, 3 Days later they handed me my keys and a piece of paper that looked like this.

Dyno_NosNo_Nos.jpg

Started to get some very nice times on the drag strip and finished the season last October with a personal best on an Irish track of 12.4@127mph. Unfortunatly when we lifted the head off we found some damage from the years racing. The car had shown no symptoms whatsoever that it was only running on 15 valves.

Damaged rod.

Image033.jpg

Damaged Cam

Cam2.jpg

Cam1.jpg

Also damaged a piston but I've no picture of it. Seems the cam lost it's top and the metal fragment went into the sump, got kicked up by the crank, hit the rod chipping it and then bashed the underside of a piston.

So we decided lets give her a full rebuild. Absolutly everything is different bar the Crank, every piece has been altered in some form or other.

This take me up to today. I'll update this thread with my new build shortly :wacko: hope I've not bored you too much!

Ok the 2011 build :rtfm: I'd also like to list the kind people who are sponsoring me.

East Coast Customs - Technical/Mechanical and Mapping assistance

Competition Clutch - Providers of the wee bit that connects my engine to the box :p

MeisterR - Provided me with drag specific coilovers in 2010 but continue to offer assistance

Also working on a deal with Wizards of Nos for an X10 Revo 2 stage setup, I'll update this if it happens.

So first things first, I'm going to be listing alot of changes for the car but I'll start with the one thing that is going to remain constant.

The car will remain dirty!!!! Though I may clean the wee ECC mans face now and again :p

CarECC.jpg

Things needed to achieve 500hp:

1. A larger turbo (kit available from Zisco), this is the new unit sitting beside my Hybrid TD05 that produced 439hp

Turbos.jpg

Note! This isn't my engine bay but a pic of the turbo kit fitted to another motor

Turbokit2.jpg

2. A gearbox capable of sticking the power indefinatly without the need to be replacing broken gears, for this we went for a straight cut dog engagement box from our Malta friends, once again contact Zisco about information on ordering a box like this.

I dropped the parts down to ECC and they put her together to me.

Image038.jpg

Image002.jpg

3. A very sexy cylinder head, once again speak to our Malta friends at Zisco :p

head22.jpg

This head consists of the following:

+1.5mm intake and exhaust valves

Bronze Guides

Race spec Valve seals

Solid buckets (no shims ontop of the bucket) for safer higher reving

Custom Valve springs

Machined for 4AGE head studs

Ivan Tighe Cams (Custom spec and ordered seperate from the head)

head11.jpg

4.Lastly, a very strong motor!

Here's the wee pet sleeping in a quiet corner of ECC over the winter months (she defo deserved a wee rest) if you look closely at the door you can still see the remains of the torn off sticker that was on her back in August at Ten of the Best, she really is a dirty scank! :rockon:

Image000.jpg

Engine out to begin the build.

Image008.jpg

Out with all the old parts!

Image018.jpg

In with the new parts!

Image007.jpg

Image006.jpg

Got the block sent off to be rebored, honed and decked.

Image004.jpg

Last year we where lifting the head anything above 420hp on the 4E/5E ARP head bolts, it was blowing between the bores, nothing too serious but it was causing coolent in the expansion bottle and oil out of the breather at race days, as soon as the road map was flicked back over she ran sweet as a nut. So what we decided to do was go back to the old school method and 4AGE Studs, we also changed the mains to 4AGE studs while we where at it to allow for safer high reving (you may have guessed we want alot of revs out of this build)

Image012.jpg

My last build I had just thrown it together, no balancing of any parts. This time I have decided balancing is a very big requirment. So we got the new pistons and rods all balanced to within a stupidly small fraction of a gram in total but also the tops of the rods all weight the same and the bottoms weight the same also.

Image005.jpg

Also last year I had quite a large signal noise problem on my RPM signal, the car had to be safe tunned due to the ECU reporting the RPM to be anywhere within a 600-800rpm limit e.g. say I was reving at 6000rpm the ECU may go into the 6800-7000rpm part of the map or equally it could use the 5000-5200rpm part of the map, both of those situations could be catastropic to the engine so it never had the timing advance it should have had.

So this problem had to be fixed, we had 2 options either to use a Haltech RA10 converter or to install a crank sensor. We opted for the crank sensor due to it being cheaper and not a coverup of an under lying problem.

ECC fabricated me up a trigger wheel onto an aluminium crank pully.

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

This should give me a nice clean crisp RPM signal and allow me to squeeze the last bit of power out of what ever boost I'm running.

Last year we extensivly ran on 109Octaine race fuel with 4.5% oxygen content. This year we decided to try something a little different and learn from the Americans and their Alky Civics and KP61s to name but a couple. So the car is being converted to run on 100% Alcohol at the drag strip, this is the stuff here!

Image013.jpg

Alcohol is 114Ron but only a Mon of 99 which is the same Mon as the 109 race fuel I used last year, the key difference is the oxygen content on the Methanol, this stuff is 50% oxygen, so not only is your turbo and nitrous system cramming in oxygen but the very fuel itself the car will burn on will also add oxygen for a power increase, typically 20% addictional power in a like for like situation. Methanol burns very cool and allows 3bar boost to be ran with NO intercooler, we are not yet decided if we shall do that on my car though, benifits of this are less lag, however Methanol needs that much burnt that the exhaust gases are way higher than normal and lag reduction will happen anyway.

Unlike Petrol based fuel that run on boost anywhere from 11AFR up to 12.5AFR, Alcohol is very different and requires twice as much to be pumped in and typically requires an AFR of 4.5-6.0. Because of this much much larger capacity fuel equipment is required. Also Methanol is very corrosive so all of the fueling side ideally needs to be Methanol compatable.

A high capacity fuel pump, in this case I've went for a mechanical pump driven of the cam gear.

Pump2.jpg

Pump1.jpg

A high capacity fuel pressure regulator is needed to cope with the increased flow from the pump.

Regulator.jpg

A high capacity fuel filter that is also Methanol friendly, this filter can be taken apart and washed and then reused again.

Filter.jpg

The very fuel hose itself needs placing with a much much larger bore, I don't have a pic as yet of this.

So at the moment all we are waiting on is a flywheel arriving then its off with the rotating assembly to be balanced and then just put her together.

My new 2000cc Injectors arrived, normally 2000cc injectors on a small engine would cause it to run like a bag of spanners, but these are meant to be different. time will tell!

Injectors.jpg

04/05/2011

My Drag rims have finally arrived after alot of waiting and messing about!!!

Dragwheels.jpg

Also started the internal fabrication of the car. Staging brake has been fitted and as you can see in the pic we're toying with ideas about the fuel tank, the key to this build is moving as much weight forward while also removing weight, in this case the stock fuel tank.

Fabrication.jpg

Only problem with the above pic is the car requires a passenger seat to meet various events rules, also I would like the option of taking friends out for a rip in the car, the passenger seat shall be repositioned further back (WRC rally co-driver style), the tank will need moved right forward to accomodate this, the plan was to get the nitrous tank mounted forwards but don't think we can do this now. The passenger seat will be removed for most RWYB events with no rule structure.

06/05/2011

A small update, the mounting frame for the passenger seat has been cut away to allow the fuel cell to go forwards more and still allow access to the ECU wireing. The tank will go a bit further forwards from what you see in the pics.

FuelCell1.jpg

FuelCell2.jpg

Also as an after thought we've added a second hydraulic brake, the one on the right is the staging brake, this only locks the front wheels, you launch the car with this on, the advantage is it build a preload on the drivetrain and loads up the rear suspension all of this reduces the chance of snapping something and aids grip on the launch due to the nose not suddenly jerking up.

The second brake is a burnout brake, instead of using the handbrake cables it used the hydraulic system which will give me a good rear lock. There is also a brake bias switch on this one to adjust my pedal bias. For racing with the large tyres on I don't wanna cut the tyres on the arches by braking too hard, if I run a little more rear bias the nose shouldn't drop as much allowing me to run a lower car height at the front.

Burnoutbrake.jpg

13/05/11

A little help in the traction department!!!

Dragwheels2.jpg

Dragwheels3.jpg

19/05/11

Cams have arrived, this is officially the last part that was needed for the build, excluding possibly different shims.

Cams1.jpg

Cams2.jpg

27/05/11

A few new pics of things going on :)

Being timed up

Image018-1.jpg

Image016.jpg

Hidden extras

Image017.jpg

New pump installed

Image015.jpg

Playing with land rover arches :p

Image012-2.jpg

29/05/11

Another pic of the engine being timed up

Timing.jpg

The cam being machined

cammachine.jpg

31/05/11

Pic with the turbo on the engine

Engine310511.jpg

28/06/11

Some long overdue pics, had these for a couple of weeks but been away to England with work and such so apologies for the late update.

Fuel tank removed and binned!

FuelTank.jpg

Engine and Gearbox back in the motor!

Engine4.jpg

Engine5.jpg

Engine6.jpg

Engine8.jpg

New fuel Cell all fitted and plumbed in.

FuelSystem3.jpg

New fuel lines.

FuelSystem2.jpg

Fuelsystem1.jpg

06/08/11

Was down at Billybobs house today changing oils and let him take it out for a spin. Here's a vid he recorded.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujQKJ9xNm4

I'll get some more videos up as the interesting things happen.

02/09/11

500hp achieved!

500Chart.jpg

08/06/2012 Now 570hp

570.jpg

Edited by Spuddy
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. :wacko: this is honestly amazing. i wish i had the time/money/knowledge/patience to do something like this. this is gonna be epic when done. is it gonna be road legal at the end or just purely for events? eitherway is awesome. love those 3spokes yu had on it at first!

wow. :wacko: this is honestly amazing. i wish i had the time/money/knowledge/patience to do something like this. this is gonna be epic when done. is it gonna be road legal at the end or just purely for events? eitherway is awesome. love those 3spokes yu had on it at first!

Cheers lad.

She'll be fully road legal, the car needs to be Taxed and Tested for Ten of the Best which is the main event I want to enter in July.

Engines going in next week, I'll get her mot'd and taxed then do the run in miles on the gearbox and engine, once thats done it just needs a map on her.

Knights Of Columbus this is awesome. hats off to the insane work thats gone into this. Just reading through it I've learned alot that i didnt know already. Also that turbo is feckin massive lol will be epic when you bolt your engine to it. I did have to read the bit where your talking about your 2000cc injectors a few times just to make sure i read it right :rtfm:.

this is one of the threads your dissappointed when you get to the bottom. cant wait to see the rest :wacko:

Russell

Always been an awsome car and only gonna get better by the looks :wacko:

Gonna have to come to TOTB aint I :rtfm:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

The fuel cell will be safe up beside me, its a fully approved FIA fuel cell, within that case is a sort of bag with a special foam that minimises the chance of explosion when breached, though the outer skin acts as a firewall. If a crash happens that causes that thing to go up it'll be the least of my worries haha. Now I just need a brave passenger that doesn't mind having it between their legs haha!

There should be some rapid progress on this build, its in the final stages now.

Nice one dude! Thought this was a monster at 438hp its gonna be seriously mental now :wacko: good luck with the build. Cant wait to see some graphs for this new setup :rtfm:

Spuddy i love you man...you're an inspiration for me..i always look out for your threads about your car..this is seriouslya mental build. will be looking closely at this thread..keep the updates coming :wacko:

Thanks again guys, getting some positive feedback makes the long wait feel worth it.

@Dan_SV yes I was at TOTB last year, the car was running 409hp at that event, we managed 3rd in the top speed and 6th in the 1/4mile, this year I'm hoping to win the top speed and get a top 3 position on the 1/4mile. My woman is due our first child on the 20th July and TOTB is on the 30th July so its a bit up in the air if I'll be at it but WeeJohn has agreed to race my car at the event (yes yes it took some convincing lol!)

I've done a small update to the first post with a little progress.

One of the best projsct threads I've ever seen! Loving the detail.

Good luck with it all mate, hope you get some awesome times in the beast! And please give her a wash!

One of the best projsct threads I've ever seen! Loving the detail.

Good luck with it all mate, hope you get some awesome times in the beast! And please give her a wash!

Lol but then she'd be a clean lady! We want a dirty owl bitch! haha

To be fair I only know some of the theory behind what I want in the build, the actually construction/mechanics of it all are being sorted out by East Coast Customs, there's stuff they have advised me on that I have opted out of at the moment, things like cementing the block, running no intercooler and running either no or a very tiny radiator, this all sounds mad but is completly normal when running methanol due to its cold burning nature.

I've opted for a relativly low compression ratio of 9.5:1 to 10:1, this is very high for a turbo car running petrol but once again methanol is a totally different beast and is quite happy to run a comp ratio of 12.5:1 and still run 3-4bar of boost with 30+deg ign advance on the map! But its a fairly small engine so we don't wanna stress it completly out!

In reference to the fuel cells location, check out this website for pictures of massive fuel cell damage and the video link. This is the same fuel cell going into my car.

http://www.atlinc.com/racing.html

The way it works is the fuel cell is only housed inside that aluminium tank, the cell itself is a flexible bag, means if it gets hit it just changes shape rather than bend and rupture. But lets hope its never needed!