A quick video of the GT @ 0.6bar

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good man Lewis, you're not giving up on this! I was doing some research on what power the stock internals can be pushed to and did find that the first things to give in would be the piston rings. I wonder if anyone makes uprated rings that fit the stock pistons? It may be something to look in to, ie. Totalseal or similar. Glad you managed to get home in the end, I'd have seriously offered you a drive down in the diesel as I was free this evening but it was away being valeted. How did you get home in the end then?

Something to look into but I really dont know if I can afford it. My mate came up and picked us up, me and my mate was just in a student bar all night getting ruined ;)

Ah mate thats shit, if you need a hand with it give me a shout dude B)

Cheers mate will do.

THIS ^^^

Cant believe people still think I am fucking about B)

Just read this sorry to here mate what was it boosting to before it went ??? 1.2 ?

Rick said it was making good boost early at 1.2 and it went on the 2nd pull at 1.4bar.

Don't give up mate!!

What Made it let go? Too much boost?

Yea it was more than likely the boost but there must be a reason for it to go and not too much boost because Rick has done a few at 1.5-1.6 bar but it is pushing it really.

It's sad to see this but it was asking a lot of the standard internals- you know you're now going to rip it apart and go forged, just admit it!

Yea it was but there is probably a reason it went, I didnt gap the rings or check the piston to wall clearance so it could of been something to do with that, wont be going forged and thats a fact.

I really dont want to give up on this! Rick said it goes well at 1.2bar and is mapped for that so hopefully I can find new rings for one piston and get a headgasket and just run it at 1.2bar. But at the moment I am undecided

I could easily throw the towel in yet mate, still need to pay Rick for mapping, possibly pay him to carry out the repairs, or recover the car myself, fix it myself but then if I do that it would have to go back up there so dont know whats the best option.

TBH I think if I took it from there then it would be getting broke more than likely

No way sorry to hear this sparky after all the hard work you have put in, and this go's and happens gutted ;) but like most have said 1.5bar is alot for standard internals to take think the biggest killer on these engines is heat!!!!! hope you keep it sparky dont break it its part of the uksc history good luck with what ever you do bud

Cheers Mick, I am determined to drive this car at 1.2bar, I am!!! Its just at this moment in time I dont know if I can afford it, going to look into it on Monday and see what my best option is. Fingers crossed

The thing is there is people that have run 1.4/1.5bar on stock internals for over 2years without a problem so these engines can take it just the luck of the draw realy and whos mapping it i've found that they have to be running silly rich to keap things cool witch then kills power so then you may aswell turn the boost down lol

Its like Rick said sometimes an untouched engine is better regardless of the mileage, his "runaround" car he took me in to the shopping centre in is the perfect example.

Civic aerodeck estate with a b18 with 200,000 miles on the clock with a GT30 strapped to it pushing 400hp and getting abuse daily! All he did was bolt the turbo on there and the engine has never been apart! That thing was mental quick ;)

Also I believe Driver's engine had never been apart.

Once you start taking things apart and replacing certain things and leaving certain things then tolerances could be slightly different or the materials have different levels of maleability etc so yea its luck of the draw really.

At the end of the day its just a piston and ring that has gone, not like a rod has smashed the block apart, thats a good engine its just something minor let it down still more than happy with the build but its something to learn from B)

hopefully I can find new rings for one piston and get a headgasket and just run it at 1.2bar. But at the moment I am undecided

Sorry to hear about the car bud, my mate was doing the same course you in uni in swansea and was telling me about your car a few weeks back. Ive only now just had a look at your build thread. What a shame its given up the get go.

I'll give ya a word of warning, dont bother replacing the rings of one piston, get them all done. Afterall you did say urself that you hadent bothered to check the piston to wall clearance and neither had you checked the end gaps, think about it the same thing could happen to the other 3 cylinders. You cant just throw things together you have to check things!

Sorry to hear about the car bud, my mate was doing the same course you in uni in swansea and was telling me about your car a few weeks back. Ive only now just had a look at your build thread. What a shame its given up the get go.

I'll give ya a word of warning, dont bother replacing the rings of one piston, get them all done. Afterall you did say urself that you hadent bothered to check the piston to wall clearance and neither had you checked the end gaps, think about it the same thing could happen to the other 3 cylinders. You cant just throw things together you have to check things!

X2 would redo the rings and gap them as that is more than likely the problem.

dont give up i've still not got to enjoy the fruits of my labour yet and just wanted to give up so many times but i'm stubborn lol.

Its like Rick said sometimes an untouched engine is better regardless of the mileage, his "runaround" car he took me in to the shopping centre in is the perfect example.

Civic aerodeck estate with a b18 with 200,000 miles on the clock with a GT30 strapped to it pushing 400hp and getting abuse daily! All he did was bolt the turbo on there and the engine has never been apart! That thing was mental quick B)

Also I believe Driver's engine had never been apart.

Once you start taking things apart and replacing certain things and leaving certain things then tolerances could be slightly different or the materials have different levels of maleability etc so yea its luck of the draw really.

At the end of the day its just a piston and ring that has gone, not like a rod has smashed the block apart, thats a good engine its just something minor let it down still more than happy with the build but its something to learn from B)

That correct my engine had 135km on it then i put another 12k miles on it before td04ing it. Engine never been apart, never ever dropped the sump ! and it loved it. Unlucky what has happened like, my vote is fix it and go for it again ;) take a spare piston with you this time though ha.

It won't be the rings I bet it will be ring lands there not made for high boost as me and Chris have seen. You will prob end up needing a piston tbh but still not a bad thing or hard to do.

I owe ya £35 mate I took ya place on the rollers

;)

Unlucky Sparky.

Are you going to find out what caused the problem? DET, lean burn, ring gap etc etc

You could rebuild it and it could do it again, id be wanting to know what caused it in the first place.

Hey bud, whos your mate? Good point mate yea will be doing all the rings again then.

That correct my engine had 135km on it then i put another 12k miles on it before td04ing it. Engine never been apart, never ever dropped the sump ! and it loved it. Unlucky what has happened like, my vote is fix it and go for it again :thumbsup: take a spare piston with you this time though ha.

Good old Toyota research development and engineering :) haha got plenty of spare pistons here! B)

It won't be the rings I bet it will be ring lands there not made for high boost as me and Chris have seen. You will prob end up needing a piston tbh but still not a bad thing or hard to do.

I owe ya £35 mate I took ya place on the rollers

:(

Thats not a problem then as I have a few spare, and no worries mate B)

Unlucky Sparky.

Are you going to find out what caused the problem? DET, lean burn, ring gap etc etc

You could rebuild it and it could do it again, id be wanting to know what caused it in the first place.

Well we'll see what it could of been when we take it apart, I would think its DET as its still stock CR, may go for a 1.4mm gasket this time but yea we'll look into it