• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welll i never got my radiator fitted as i have now got more troubles than a leaking radiator :)

My car has been running a bit rough recently due to a leaking manifold ( stud out the block missing)

Had a friend of mine have a look for me and told me it could be 'pinking', for those who dont know its were the timing is advanced so the spark comes in before the piston reachs TDC.

So i had planned to take my car to a different friends house who was going to change my timing for me but he had broken his timing light so i thought well it cant be too bad, ran the car for a month and nothing has happened.

Was driving alone at 30 mph and the car decided to run on 3 cylinders "/, made a guess that it would be a spark plug that stopped working so i drove another 3-5 mins up the road to college.

Got the car to college and because im doing a motor vehicle course i got straight on the job of sorting it out, so i changed the plugs.. all worked but still ran on 3 cylinders, checked ht leads, all work and still ran on 3 cylinders so i did a compression test....

Oooops! cylinder 1: 0 bar, cylinder 2: 9.9 bar, cylinder 3: 10.1 bar, cylinder 4: 10.0 bar.

So i put a screwdriver down each bore to see if the piston was moving in cylinder 1, no movement :).

So i thought camshaft snapped or conrod, there is no hole in my block so didnt think it was conrod and the car runs so cant be camshaft.

Im guessing the conrod has either snapped at the bottom so it wont be touching anything just spinning or the bottom end shells have come apart.

Strip down commences then!

As some people may know that 4efte's manifolds are a pain to remove so took me ages removing them.

Inlet Manifold off:

DSC00617.jpg

Exhaust Manifold off:

DSC00616.jpg

Exhaust Manifold Gasket:

Looking worse for ware!

DSC00613.jpg

Checked the inside of my turbo and doesnt look to bad tbh but i honestly dont know what im suposed to look at.

DSC00618.jpg

Inside of my Inlet:

Dirty!

DSC00623.jpg

Quick Clean:

Will clean properly when refitted.

DSC00624.jpg

Outside of my Inlet:

DSC00619.jpg

Cleaned up a bit:

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

Decided since its going to be a while i might aswel make stuff not just go better but look better:

Prep.

DSC00625.jpg

Etch Primer:

DSC00626.jpg

Metalic Gunmetal Grey:

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

Condition of cams:

They dont look too bad but do look a bit scortched

DSC00611.jpg

Old Radiator:

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

New Radiator sat in place:

DSC00612.jpg

Sooo there is the start to a long horrible depressing winter... but atleast i know my engine will be fine when its back up and running again.

TBC.

looks very nice.

were the celica seats hard to fit?

Not really tbh :), they are sorta bodged onto starlet fails but they do fit and do recline etc so its all good, just the base of the seat only has 2 bolts in instead of 4 :)

Worth buying a set as i bought mine for a good price and they are super comfy.

Sounds like you ringlands on pot 1 have give up mine did I similar thing recently and I ended up needing 2 pistons.

You will need to get the head off and find out what numbers on the piston (mine were No.2)

You can get pistons from camskill and you'll need a headgasket and some sump sealer.

Mine cost me £65 to fix because I had spare pistons that also included a service timing belt and headgasket. And a few hour of work.

well thanks haha :), yeahh i think they are hex 9 multisplined :), looks like im going to have to get one from Halfrauds.

Priced one up today at a local Snap On dealer and it was about £15 just for the 3/8 H9 bit "/ !... No Thankyou!

well thanks haha :), yeahh i think they are hex 9 multisplined :), looks like im going to have to get one from Halfrauds.

Priced one up today at a local Snap On dealer and it was about £15 just for the 3/8 H9 bit "/ !... No Thankyou!

Just for the bit? Not including the socket to hold it? Halfords trade card for the win:P I bought a full set for £20 lol

D

Lew: nahh still got it, a lass down my street owns one also, if you next see a red one check if it has a scoop or not :) if it has one its me, if not its not me :)

Starlet sr: with the socket too yeah but still expensive, hmm £20 sounds good as i have a trade card too :)

Lew: nahh still got it, a lass down my street owns one also, if you next see a red one check if it has a scoop or not :) if it has one its me, if not its not me :)

Starlet sr: with the socket too yeah but still expensive, hmm £20 sounds good as i have a trade card too :)

Tbh, thats not bad for a snapon item. And get yourself down lol

D

• 3 weeks later...

Slight update,

Since the cars off the road ive thought to myself i might aswel concentrate on giving a bit of tlc with other bits and the engine is going to be a while yet so i lacquered my strut brace and inlet.

Alot better than it was before and before it still looked good.

DSC00631.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

Inlet

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

Another snap at the block (check out piston1...shiney due to hitting valves :) )

DSC00636.jpg

Close up

DSC00637.jpg

Piston on an angle

DSC00638.jpg

valves bent :(

DSC00639.jpg

And again

DSC00640.jpg

Cylinder 1's piston at the bottom without even turning the engine but just tapping the top of piston....Ooooooops!

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

Removed my wipers as i thought they were looking tired

DSC00644.jpg

More to come :p

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while as the bad weather has come and not having the time to do anything but have a few little bits.

A little something that came in the post :)

DSC00657.jpg

On the n/a also

DSC00658.jpg

Needed a few bits removing so it was to a bare block, Alternator off which was filthy

DSC00659.jpg

Out.

DSC00661.jpg

Not Happy

DSC00662.jpg

Getting there

DSC00663.jpg

It'll do

DSC00665.jpg