Charlotte's GT Advance- Massive overdue update.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right! been really busy with uni and work and everything else but still managed to crack on with a few bits on the wee starlet! Flushed the engine and dropped the oil and changed the oil filter a few months ago in preparation for winter, the oil that came out wasn't like tar but she was very grateful to have some fresh oil, tappets quietened down a fair bit and just seemed to run better all round.

Got her on a ramp and cracked on with the handbrake cables, rear calipers, cleaning up rear discs and swapping all the brake pads;

ayk4yr.jpg

2zi7ree.jpg

Not long after the oil and filter change came the cambelt kit... ouch. Turned out to be abit of a pig to say the least. Not a lot of room for wiggling in there! bottom pulley was tight as hell, had to turn the engine over with sam clinging onto the end of a very long bar to crack it off. timed her back up and then getting the new belt on was abit of a squeeze but managed it with abit of convincing. timing cover back on, fired up and she ran sweet as a nut! then died! alternator belt decided that once it had been taken off it did not want to play anymore. Luckily i had one at home so off we went and swapped the belt, job done and no more problems :D

While sam was doing the cambelt (i would have definitely cocked it up) i took the front bumper, skirt and rusty wing off and swapped it with the wing i kindly received of the pal that is steve gt.

fp9gzd.jpg

And yesterday i dropped the gearbox oil and put some nice fresh semi shockproof oil in, and oh my word what a difference! drives soooo much better! really pleased ;)

However while draining the gearbox i decided to bray the heatshield off the exhaust manifold because the plan was to port it soon. finally got the bloody heatshield off to discover this :(

21euxar.jpg

Its not actually blowing too bad, it is slightly but i've seen FAR worse so i'm not too worried but i am on the lookout for another mani soonish ;)

Finally got a boost gauge on her as well, boosting up to 1.1 bar!!! completely standard fueling etc= not good!!! i've been driving it without hitting fuel cut or a bar of boost because i don't want to kill it! so i'm picking a hks actuator off another good pal aaddzz123 soon too :)

This is the engine bay as it stands now;

8x515j.jpg

She's coming on slowly but surely! I do love this car :D

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed at Sam's last night and when i went out to my car someone has scratched and put loads of small dents in the offside rear quarter the bastards. nothing major just mega pissed me off, not the first time people have scratched my car overnight in the lovely area that is Bilton Grange.... :) i'll try and get some pics to put up but i don't think it will show in the pics.

On the upside i've finally fitted some new ripspeed speakers in the front (on offer atm in halfords for £10 :D) and some vibe 6x9's in the parcel shelf. wrapped the parcel shelf in black fabric to make a stealth shelf, will put pics up tomorrow but i think it looks awesome and it cost me about £6 and to all the dead heads walking past you can't even tell there are speakers there B). also fitted a single din head unit and din tray, massive win compared to the strange minidisc effort it came with.

Pics tomorrow :D

yeah me too :) i've got a decent alarm, just not had the money to have it fitted yet (not even got prices yet) but i'm thinking i might have to put other things on the waiting list and get the alarm fitted.

Things that are on the list that i will be after are;

- set of ht leads and king lead

- decent set of engine/gearbox mounts

- fuel rail adaptor

- clutch

- standard exhaust manifold that isn't cracked

- rear strut brace

Not spending a lot on the ct9 setup because i'm hoping to go TD04 or T25 in summer :D and i have lowering springs so it will be lowered as soon as the weather starts picking up :D

- set of ht leads and king lead - magnecores for sure!

- decent set of engine/gearbox mounts - dont go with polys too stiff, go with TRD!

- fuel rail adaptor - £10 off ebay!

- clutch - ACT is one of best out there, avaliable from race-tech

- standard exhaust manifold that isn't cracked - get a tubular :)

- rear strut brace - OEM is a nice optional extra, if not cusco do a nice one!

- set of ht leads and king lead - magnecores for sure!

- decent set of engine/gearbox mounts - dont go with polys too stiff, go with TRD!

- fuel rail adaptor - £10 off ebay!

- clutch - ACT is one of best out there, avaliable from race-tech

- standard exhaust manifold that isn't cracked - get a tubular :)

- rear strut brace - OEM is a nice optional extra, if not cusco do a nice one!

yup magnecores, any mounts that aren't as fucked as mine would be good, fuel rail adaptors can be queer little buggers, i want one that sits into the rail not just bolts on the end of it but even so they're only about £15 off ebay.

clutch wise i can't really afford to spend loads, everything on this car was either dirt cheap or from scrapyard lol. how much do the ACT one's sell at? found a exedy organic one for £120.

i'd love a tubular one, but i don't really want to spend alot on the ct9 setup if i'm going TD04 in 6 months time :/ hmmmm.

and yup i love the oem one's they look awesome imo, just need to get saving some pennies!

need to get a few over to Hull next year for a little meet! there's a few ep82's popped up over the last few months in hull and a few new glanzas! starlet city!

Got round to taking some pics of the parcel shelf/speaker set up aka the stealth shelf :( it cost and £10 in total to make and seemed like a good idea as my car is obviously attracting the attention of the scum that kicks about round here. Also the guy who had it before me made a complete mess of cutting hole in it for his shoddy 6x9's and he ended up cutting them too big so any speakers i put in there just fell into the boot, mega annoying and was wrecking the terminals on my speakers.

Basically, cut some mdf to fit in either side of the parcel shelf. Screwed the wood onto the top of the shelf and Cut holes in the wood, and mounted the speakers on the underside of the wood. So there was already massive holes in the shelf, and we cut holes in the wood that were just big enough. Used spray adhesive on the wooden panels and wrapped black fabric (from the range, about £3 a meter) round the wood. Here's some pics as i really aren't great at explaining it :p

view from underneath...

f0q0id.jpg

view from on above, and the view the scumbags will get as they walk past....

24axxc0.jpg

And thought i'd throw in a pic of the new headunit and din tray, and the boost gauge that still needs fixing onto the dash. The boost gauge came off a guy who breaks nissan's, mostly sr20's, we went for bits for Sam's almera gti turbo build and found it, couldn't resist haha....

slnz3c.jpg

Plans for the near future are clutch and new exhaust manifold, money is abit tight so i'm going to wait and see what comes up at a reasonable price, don't want to spend loads on the ct9 setup as it will be going td04 or similar asap :p

• 2 weeks later...

managed to get a few goodies since the forum has been down!

since the last update;

- car has been lowered!

- got some tints

- got some ultra power ht leads

- sprayed up a rocker cover and swapped for the ugly one

- got an oem 3 point rear strut

- got some ngk iridiums in it

mega happy with everything, and i think the car is happy about it too :) the old king lead used to jump sparks onto your hand/arm when the engine was running, which wasn't good! After everything listed above, the car drives soooo much better :)

still waiting on another exhaust manifold and hks actuator, but all in good time :)

some pics!

rwp553.jpg

11qofie.jpg

350mlc6.jpg

2v1q748.jpg

260ekus.jpg

28kpw93.jpg

jhatxv.jpg

I sprayed and painted the rocker cover myself, the red bits are really sparkly in real life lol. It's a 4efe rocker cover off a scrapyard ep91, but there are no clearance issues with the breather as the arc intercooler sits higher than the oem one.

I have an FSE fpr and all the bits with it to go on asap. want to get my hands on a wideband lambda to set it up properly and use the fcd (for now) once i know the fueling is right and the actuator is set to somewhere between 0.8-1 bar (not decided yet)

I have officially decided on TD04 after debating it for ages. I will do a compression test on her possibly this weekend coming and if i'm happy with the results i'll start looking out for TD04 conversion bits such as civic rad, fmic, ecu, turbo, manifold etc etc. (I don't want to spend alot of money going TD04 for the piston rings to give up a month later)

Sam has now jumped on the starlet wagon! he's bought a bare rolling shell and will be building it up and will hopefully be running in time for rising sun/jae etc :D

The two-tone paint makes it look so much better than just one colour, silver and black work so well :D

Think you need a front and rear lip though ;)

cheers bud :)

i would love a front and rear lip, just decided what to go for really. next time i take a trip to scrapyard i might grab a splitter off something for the front.

would love it to be on coilovers and drop it abit more but i can't really, drive down mud tracks with lots of pot holes and it would absolutely kill it :(

Looking good, coming along nicely :)

although I will say, you may want to ditch the 4efe rocker cover because it only has one breather (the pcv) which closes under boost. The 4efte has 2 breathers ;)

haha sorry :( but it is there, the only reason it's there and not where the fte one is on the bottom left is because of clearance issues with the standard intercooler. i'm running this one while i spray up my fte one then might even swap depending on how the fte one comes out. can pick up 4e rocker covers from scrapyard for about £8 inc VAT, loads of spares! haha