Toyota celica st185 caliper conversion, whats needed?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the celica twin pots with Astra discs set up on my car, was already on car when I bought it, now the discs are now cracked and needing replaced , it seems a lot of hassle getting the Astra disc machined etc can't be bothered with that hassle , is there any 1 that I could just buy the discs from that's already machines for me ?

I have the celica twin pots with Astra discs set up on my car, was already on car when I bought it, now the discs are now cracked and needing replaced , it seems a lot of hassle getting the Astra disc machined etc can't be bothered with that hassle , is there any 1 that I could just buy the discs from that's already machines for me ?

drop Russ78 a pm...he may be able to help

• 3 weeks later...

So you need to buy yourself some discs from a 1.7 cdti Astra:

-280mm

-60mm centre bore

-They allow 4x100 stud fitment

Next there's a bit of machine work that needs to be done

1. Take 2.5mm off total outside diameter to make them 277.5mm

2. Take 1.5mm off the inside face of the disc, but only where it mates to the hub ie NOT THE PAD CONTACT SURFACE. This is so the disc sits central to the caliper

3. You need to make to a spacer to sit in the centre of the disc, to make the central bore match your Glanza/GT (60mm>55/54.1mm respectively). It's the same kind of thing as spigot ring but it sits flush on either side of the disc.

You need some late spec ST185 calipers and carriers with pad clips. These are single piston, and more effective than the ST165/early ST185/Levin Twinpots

Buy some £20 OEM late spec ST185 pads (the early spec ones for the twins don't fit these) and you're off! http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

I've tried these brakes at Donington Park in the GT and they are crazy, didn't get them to fade even a bit and I was driving hard! Awesome on the road too with really instant pedal feedback too (after they've been bled once or twice) even without braided lines! (which still by the way fit http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png ) Just make sure you don't lock up haha http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.png

I'm pretty sure the above information is correct but I'll check it all when I get home from Uni today

Does the 277.5 disc still fit ok with the twin pots ? I've got celica twin pots with Astra discs but the discs are 250 mm :s I have no idea about this break set up as they were on my car when I bought it, but I've followed these steps with the machining the disc hoping they fit ? Edited by PokerFace

theres somthing ive been doing for years that i cant belive no1 else knows lol

the be all and end all is:

-st165 2pots

-fiat grand punto discs(257mm x 22mm) with 55to60mm metal spigots

-subaru legacy yellowstuff pads (require some work with an angle grinder to fit snug or use stock st165 pads) i can find p/n if needed

no faffing about with machine work just all bolts up :)

all this "astra disc" and machine work is unnecessary and expensive :p

1.5mm could be a lot in terms of radius on a disc,,,but who knows....maybe i should have tried them at 280mm when i had the chance....i just followed the forum information and took them to the machine shop to be adjusted to 277mm when i got them

next time i'm messing with the brakes i'll try to remember to take a closer look at the spacing

it would surely save a few dollars and time if they could be used at 280mm

the 280 will rub on carier just so slightly indeed 1.5mm needs cutting of unless you file the holes a bit !!!!!!!! or dril oversize by 1mm on the mounting holes the warp from frill clears it then thats how i did the last set on friends car

we never machined the inside pcd face neither hes still flying around

yeah, i took a quick look yesterday....the 3.0mm needs to come off each disc, else the disc will rub on the carrier as Colin 5e stated

another possible option, which i'm not sure about is to slightly grind/lathe the carrier itself by 1.5mm for make room for the 280mm discs...but again i'm not sure if this would structurally weaken the carrier

the 280 will rub on carier just so slightly indeed 1.5mm needs cutting of unless you file the holes a bit !!!!!!!! or dril oversize by 1mm on the mounting holes the warp from frill clears it then thats how i did the last set on friends car

we never machined the inside pcd face neither hes still flying around

do you mean drilling/over-sizing the 4 stud holes by 1mm??

but if you use a spigot ring, will this make a difference?...as the disc would still sit exactly centre? or am i missing something?