Toyota celica st185 caliper conversion, whats needed?

Hello chaps

Im thinking of doing this conversion in the next few weeks just unsure what discs i have to use? also will i have to extend my wheels stoods? if so were do i get them from? Whats the best pads to use ect?..Any info would by great thanks in advance :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you need to buy yourself some discs from a 1.7 cdti Astra:

-280mm

-60mm centre bore

-They allow 4x100 stud fitment

Next there's a bit of machine work that needs to be done

1. Take 2.5mm off total outside diameter to make them 277.5mm

2. Take 1.5mm off the inside face of the disc, but only where it mates to the hub ie NOT THE PAD CONTACT SURFACE. This is so the disc sits central to the caliper

3. You need to make to a spacer to sit in the centre of the disc, to make the central bore match your Glanza/GT (60mm>55/54.1mm respectively). It's the same kind of thing as spigot ring but it sits flush on either side of the disc.

You need some late spec ST185 calipers and carriers with pad clips. These are single piston, and more effective than the ST165/early ST185/Levin Twinpots

Buy some £20 OEM late spec ST185 pads (the early spec ones for the twins don't fit these) and you're off! :)

I've tried these brakes at Donington Park in the GT and they are crazy, didn't get them to fade even a bit and I was driving hard! Awesome on the road too with really instant pedal feedback too (after they've been bled once or twice) even without braided lines! (which still by the way fit ;) ) Just make sure you don't lock up haha :p

I'm pretty sure the above information is correct but I'll check it all when I get home from Uni today

Flipping heck thanks for takeing the time to right all that info Amjad that has help so much :) think im going to buy bits and bobs at a time as not to as flush as i used to be haha but realy looking forward to haveing some nice brakes i've never gone down this route with any of my glanzas that i've owned in the past so would be nice to try something different :)

Thanks for that Amjad :) So the other 2 red lines the one furthest away and the 2nd one in need 2.5mm takeing off each lip or is it 1.25mm on each lip and that will make it 2.5mm is that correct?#

Edit..Sorry mate just had a read of what you written above not with it today lol so take 2.5mm off the total outside diameter and thats it?

No no ignore the red ones, I was just asking GTNomez where to take the 1.5mm off, you just need to take that off where the disc sits against the hub (marked in blue), if you don't then you will probably need longer wheel studs etc

The 2.5 is just off the total diameter, so the disc goes from being 280mm>277.5mm

I got the Astra disks off ebay, about £65 I think make sure they look like the pic above

Spacers I had machined up from the same place that machined the discs, make sure you clean up your hubs and get a correct measurement I believe it is 55mm for Glanzas but not completely sure. I took my car to the place and they measured the hub to be safe too. They did need some boring with a dremel to fit flush though, bit of a pain but hey!

Celica pads were from a local parts shop, only £20 or so. Just make sure they don't give you the ST165/early ST185 pads. There's a separate set of pads for the late spec. I can't remember the switchover date between the models but there's a GT4 brake guide if you search on google and it says think it was from a Celica forum or something

Well i was thinking of getting intouch with CRN brakes to see if they could supply the disk aswell as do abit of work on them if i was to give them the measurement ect, ill see what they have to say.

Another quesion lol just measured the centre bore on my hub and it is indeed 55mm so if the center bore is 60mm on the Astra disc do i need to still take 1.5mm off the blue mark like shown in the pic above? or do i just need to get a 5mm spacer made up to accommodate the 5mm play on the 60mm astra discs?

You need the spacer to make up the gap yeah, you need to take 1.5mm off the face of where it meets the hub (on the back of the disc) because Celica brakes are thinner there and if you don't the discs won't sit central to the caliper

• 2 months later...