Toyota celica st185 caliper conversion, whats needed?

Yeah thats what i wasnt to sure about!.

im getting CRN brakes to do my disks so wonder if they could point me in the right direction. cheers for the link they do look like the ones also says they are for a 277mm disc so they have to be them because the twin pots use a smaller pad i (think?)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at this and I'm not sure the inside of the disc should need the 1.5mm taking off it! In fact my maths says it shouldn't. (I've got ST185 hubs, ST185 discs, and EP91 hubs etc here).

Has anyone got a Starlet hub, STANDARD 280mm Astra disc and ST85 carrier (no pads) they can bolt up and photograph if the disc is centred in the carrier or not?

I can probably supply pre-modified, 55.1bore (or 54.1mm to fit EP82 bore) 277mm Astra discs if people are interested. The locating rings will be permanantly fitted to the discs, not loose.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I run outlaw 2000 4pots now dude. But in theroy yea it would work. Thier is another astra disc that is smaller in diamiter that works better for levin twinpots. Have a lil search of the older tech posts. Me and turbo grant have posted the details a good few times as tbh i cant remeber of the top of my head. As its been a long while since I've touched twin pots now :( damn good breaks though! Loved mine tbf.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

dont machine 1.5mm off the inside of the astra disc bell, just get a machine shop to turn the disc down to 277mm from 280 and make a ring to fit in the hub to make it fit a starlet properly

Forgot to reply to this, my bad! I spoke to two people including Yick who posted above, that are running this setup before I went ahead and got my kit.

They both said to take 1.5mm off the back of the disc so it sits centrally in the caliper. Whether that is necessary I don't know, but the brakes have been fine for me in 2 years Road use and two track days.

well lads i did my levin twinpot setup with these disks apec DSK 2188

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue/frictionview/item/736306

got them turned down to 260mm and 1.5mm of the inside face of the disk ( 4x100) and ordered plastik spigot rings of egay to fill the gap

no longer studs or spacers kneaded

they fit under my 14" enkei !!!! after i rounded the outside of the caliper a bit to clear the spokes

P081013_1426_zpsc9957f39.jpg

Also I can't remember whether I've mentioned it, but it's worth pointing out that the ST165/early ST185s had Twin pots and 260mm discs. But it's the late spec ST185 that had the single pot 277mm discs.

• 4 months later...