Rob H's TD05 16G 4EFE SR Inlet and 8 injectors!! 256.7hp@ Wheels

This may take some time to get all up lol over 10 years worth of stuff lol!!

Bit about me first, I have had the car since 2000 ish it was 3 years old and had only done 15,000miles. It has been through some changes since then!! and been put back to standard a few time too.

I have to say all the fabrication, welding and engineering work I have done my self. In the new build the manifold was made by http://www.nortechperformance.com/, the Block, Crank and head work was done by Ashby & Anderson in Leeds. The wiring was mostly done by me with a hell of a lot of help from Will at http://rdt.tv/ https://www.facebook.com/rdt.tv and Will also wired in the ECU for me too, He will be doing all the setting up and mapping.

I don't have any picks of the first turbo set up I had, that was a turbo manifold I made from a 4EFE manifold with a montego TD turbo bolted to it on the stock 4EFE running on a Emanage blue and stock N/A injectors. It lasted a hole 12 month before the head gasket failed do to loosing all the coolant due to the heater matrix failing.

some early picks

PICT0137.jpg
The first Turbo set up with the 4EFTE in 2002 I think

PICT0144.jpg

Then I moved onto a Booosts manifold that came from new Zealand, and a JD kit 2 hybrid turbo that came from syawal from sri lanka. these turbos where a good idea but not very well put together lol. I also had to make some 10mm spacers so the turbo would clear the block.
PICT0154.jpg
PICT0475.jpg
PICT0476.jpg

After trying to get it mapped I had to make up a external waste gate set up for it as we could not get the boost to hold steady.

PICT0155.jpg
PICT0154.jpg
PICT0158.jpg

once this went BANG I moved onto a BLITZ K24 kit I don't have any photos of this for some reason but I run the K24 for about 1 year then I had 2 more bottom end failures at santa pod and the car got broken into on the drive my Greddy profec E01 and loads of other stuff got nicked so that was the final straw it got put back to standard and stopped that way for around 6-7 years!!

Then along comes 2010 and the BUG got me again and the parts collecting started once again!!! I had been down the turboed 4EFE, I had done the conversion and decided I was going down the turboed 4EFE path again as every one is doing the swap now!!

I got a engine, gear box with every thing on it for 50 quid and a day trip out to go pick it up from ebay, and I had got most of the other parts stock piled ready to go!!

IMG_0632-1.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg
062-2.jpg
061-2.jpg
058-1.jpg
059-1.jpg
055-1.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg
Picture363.jpg

There just some of the parts lol also in there are Cruise valve springs and cruise cams!

Then started the build, all the machining was done by Ashby & Anderson in Leeds as we use them at work and they did me a good deal!! I ported the exhaust side of the head but did not do any thing with the inlet as there quite good anyway. I painted the block and I sand blasted & painted loads of other stuff too.

IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
Picture372.jpg
6bee899b.jpg
095fefae.jpg
f287ad01.jpg
bef4ef9c.jpg
46e217cb.jpg
debaa9a4.jpg
P1000143.jpg P1000151.jpg
P1000165.jpg
P1000163.jpg

I then made some new fittings for the N/A rocka cover to take more breather fittings for the catch can one is drilled into the cover and the other I made from nylon bar in the lathe.

1f2729ad.jpg
aa0b3d32.jpg

I removed the baffel plate to make sure it was all clean and there was nothing left in it from drilling
c9e290ed.jpg

then the customary PURPLE paint job
P1000141.jpg

Thats it engine was now ready for going in!! My dad had a holiday booked so I had the use of his garage for 2 weeks so I booked time off work to get it all done. I don't like to rush things and like to do things right!! so it took all 2 weeks lol

out with the old in with the new!!
169c7659.jpg
fad2bf41.jpg
3ae59715.jpg
P1000192.jpg
P1000190.jpg
P1000199-1.jpg

To mount the Blitz inter cooler I modified the front crash bar so it would mount up to it nice and secure.
I marked out the back of the crash bar then cut it out with the plasma cutter and welded a pice of angle iron into the back of it and a tab on the top to mount the cooler to.

P1000206.jpg
P1000208.jpg
P1000210.jpg
P1000213.jpg
P1000214.jpg
P1000216.jpg

Then I got all the other bits finished off. I also made a braket for the remote oil filter filter housing.

P1000222.jpg
P1000223.jpg
P1000225.jpg

This was job done as I thought get the emanage fitted and mapped and take it for a drive!! how wrong was I!!
the emanage could not control the 550cc injectors as there was a too bigger difference from these to the standard SR injectors every time we tried to start it it just filled the cylinders with fuel and would not start!! so after a lot of thinking I decided to go with what Will at RDT.tv recommended the AEM stand alown ECU but the problem was all my funds had gone and I had a unfinished car!! so the car returned home where it sat on the drive for 9 months!!

Wile the car was off the road we decided to go the full monty and go for coil on plug and sequential injection rather than paired like toyota did it! So I binned the distributer and made up a custom cam/crank sensor set up.

First job was ditch all the insides from the dissy and chop it up, then turn it down in the lathe to make a flat base.

3ff8a4cc.jpg
44570cf0.jpg
56723887.jpg

then the same for the mazda cam sensor

52b3ddc8.jpg
ad139fcb.jpg
49657f75.jpg
264ef2db.jpg

Then mate them up and made the toyota shaft fit to drive the disc

6b71bacd.jpg
cfce2a8a.jpg
e8178e2a.jpg

the finished product!!

3377eaef.jpg

Then the coil on plugs using honda coil packs, I made a plate up to mount these on so the seals on the coil packs could be seated onto it to stop all the crap getting into the spark plug chambers.

97879f07.jpg
563ffcd9.jpg
60c79c0e.jpg

this is the finished product!!
d51982c8.jpg

Then came the ECU there was no way of mounting this in the car and I did not whant to use the velcro it came with so I made a mounting plate for that too so it would mount to the stock location for the ecu.

fa7e3e69.jpg
aa9db98a.jpg

Then to sort the wiring I made up the custom loom and Will at RDT.tv pinned out the ECU I did not trust my self for this but Will did say I could do it but I decided to let him!

5db47fc9.jpg
4bae10a4.jpg
34106683.jpg

All I am waiting for now is a new cam sensor disc and it can go on the Dyno packs for tuning and setting up so I will up date then once its all done!!!

next up the willwoods I fitted these some time back now but still one of the best mods yet!
058.jpg
Had to make some spacers to clear the wheels so I used the old discs!
061.jpg
063.jpg
062.jpg
060.jpg

this turned up today!!!(30/6/2010)
040.jpg
042-1.jpg
044.jpg

well I got these seats for it now got the fronts and rears to match and also the door cars.

943bb3ec.jpg
gave the rears a good old clean but they were heavily faded across the tops of the back rest. A bit of research I found some upholstery die in a spray can TOP stuff!! this was the out come!
P1000377-1.jpg
the out come was just what I needed!!
P1000382.jpg
the stuff I used!
P1000385.jpg

I have given em a good clean since I took this pick there not shiny at all now the alcantara is just how it should be!
fcd75d9c.jpg

All cleaned up and I have also fitted a new bolster foam to the drivers seat to make it like new again!
P1000387.jpg

the door cards were done in black vinyl so I am re trimming them in black ultra suede to match the seats
better.

f8d26d99.jpg
ad181aae.jpg
got these today must say they look the nuts when working!!

689cb0af.jpg

well time to do some gear box work now! I have 3 gear boxes sat about with different problems to play with so I am going to build one good one.:eek::rockon:

This is the first one to be stripped down I dont have a clue with this one as I have never had it in a car. Its been out side for some time!

faece9c0.jpg
357b5bb3.jpg

Got my cusco diff back now it had been sat on a shelf for quite some time as was full of muck so I stripped it down and gave it a good clean up!! looks like new inside with very little wear so I was happy with that!! It looks like the work in a simaler way to a motor bike clutch with the plates and springs but the planet gears act as a wedge to force it to lock.

27913a64.jpg
64e9f3f5.jpg
f37097a7.jpg
d75ee74e.jpg

Edited by Rob H
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this build on gtturbo too mate love all the machine work thats went into it. like that, if it doesnt fit make it or build something that does attitude lol. Got a q for u. see when u pulled the baffle off the rocker cover did u have to put it back in or just leave it out?