• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We do the T10 2-pot in a few piston sizes, the most common are 1.75" and 1.38". If we need to get Starlet-specific ones done it's possible depending on volume.

The pads are a race-format for 2-pot calipers, similar to the front 4-pot T20 caliper and it's (larger) race-format pad.

• 3 weeks later...

Id be interested in these Keri to match my fronts and also would help me alot more on the track, Also my Dad is currently going through the same ordeal with his AP Racing brakes. AP racing do a 4 pot rear caliper and seperatly have a single pot mechanical caliper purely for the handbrake like seen on most Aston martins

• 5 months later...

Keri did you get my pm regarding this?

It's not purely for performance means though starlet rear brakes are notoriously bonk and stick more than prit stick.

I'd swap them out for a more reliable/powerful/reasonably priced alternative!

P.s xyz do a mechanical handbrake aswell

Edited by Addymk2
  • 7 months later...

We're going to be looking into this 100% for sure (especially with our recently increase prototyping/small batch capacity)! The advantanges would be:

- Light weight

- Cheap / available performance pads

- Better cooling for those that need it.....!

- Fingers crossed, a more effective handbrake.

- No seizing rear caliper!!

- Correct front/rear bias even if a larger disc

- ...matching the front WMS kits and looking sweet... :D

• 3 months later...

The brakes don't appear to work as well because of the bias surely? i don't see the point in pissing around with it unless your going all out track car like flaminsam said with a Hydro handbrake and bias valve to put some more force to the rear etc. Would be interesting to see a kit tho curious to see how the bearing would be integrated into it.

• 4 months later...

Highspec do a rear kit with hand brake, you take the car there and they design them onto the car.

I know this as I am having a set of 295mm vented rears with 2 pot calipers fitted on my dc2.

People confuse me really... And why this hasn't been addressed with all these brake companies I do no know. When you dramatically increase the piston sizes on your front brakes it throws the rear bias out. Most people wouldn't even notice it but it's quite a major difference . When I fitted my 6 pots on my honda with 330x30mm discs the rear 242's became useless on track . My van can at the moment outstop my honda now..

Highspec do a rear kit with hand brake, you take the car there and they design them onto the car.

I know this as I am having a set of 295mm vented rears with 2 pot calipers fitted on my dc2.

People confuse me really... And why this hasn't been addressed with all these brake companies I do no know. When you dramatically increase the piston sizes on your front brakes it throws the rear bias out. Most people wouldn't even notice it but it's quite a major difference . When I fitted my 6 pots on my honda with 330x30mm discs the rear 242's became useless on track . My van can at the moment outstop my honda now..

A few points I want to raise here:

- WMS kits are designed to maintain the correct front > rear bias using correct choice of piston size to match the larger discs (although as you say, a lot of the cheap far eastern stuff is one-size-fits-all)

- As you brought up highspec in the WMS thread it's only fair to share why we don't worry about competing too hard with them head > head:

"Exhibits A, B and C", randomly grabbed off google, but don't take my word for it, there's plenty more out there if you search for their reputation:

A - http://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/377242-hi-spec-brakes-leaking-update.html

B - http://www.nyssa.ltd.uk/Y10/wankers.shtml

C - http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=27045&highlight=hispec&page=2

...it just seems some people are lucky with them and some aren't.

What would be the approximate cost Keri? Say a basic kit with cheapest discs, pads and uuprated calipers?

It would be a similar cost to the front kits I'd say, but it depends how we go about it....

The brakes don't appear to work as well because of the bias surely? i don't see the point in pissing around with it unless your going all out track car like flaminsam said with a Hydro handbrake and bias valve to put some more force to the rear etc. Would be interesting to see a kit tho curious to see how the bearing would be integrated into it.

The bearing is the main stumbling block, there are a few ways round it but we've just not had a chance to work on it yet. :-/

Hey, does someone have new infos about the rear break system?

been lookin into rears myself think its one of those things that wont happen :(

It will happen at some point, epecially now we have some limited in-house CNC prototyping etc

Sorry guys, there are a heap of things we're working on a once for the Starlet, and not enough time at the moment. But the demand is there so we will be doing it as soon as we can.....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For a full-race car we can probably do a 2-pot rear kit pretty easily, using this caliper:

WMS-800x600-RB0011-f.jpg

But the problem is that most cars will need an MOT, and for an MOT you need a MECHANICAL handbrake. We will be looking into this in the future though - it's on the list! biggrin.png

As i Know, for Mot (TÜV in Austria/Germany) you need a Handbrake that is seperated by the normal rear brake.

The Lexus LFA for example uses 2 calipers on one Disc (one for handbrake, one for normal Braking) cant u do such an build Keth??

or u can use this... http://thegmr.com/?page_id=1706

Here an picture for example lfa08.jpg

Edited by Bananajoe888
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What about using rear calipers from a prius? (I know! Hear me out)

Was working on one today and the calipers look very similar in design and size, they would need a different carrier bracket though, or an easier way would be a different mounting bracket (that bolts to the axle which the carrier bolts onto) to suit

But the calipers & pads are a similar size so could use the standard sized disc, or slightly larger, plus the piston is much larger and you could still utilise the standard handbrake cable by using a custom lever plate 

Just an idea :unknw: 

Comparing the Glanza carrier to the prius

post-9573-0-35981800-1468592911_thumb.jp

Pads

post-9573-0-36564700-1468593052_thumb.jp

Handbrake cable

post-9573-0-12950300-1468594418_thumb.jp

Piston

post-9573-0-04096200-1468596543_thumb.jp

Edited by Trevstar