Changes to the Classifieds Section

Afternoon All,

I'm afraid that the admin team have unanimously decided to introduce a change to the way 'for sale' threads are posted on the forum.

As you all know, we have the rules for selling clearly stated at the top of the classifieds section, and a template that self populates when starting a new thread in the Parts for Sale section. The reason these are in place is to protect all members as best we can from bad transactions and the loss of money. Unfortunately, a minority of folk either completely disregard the rules, or decide to only follow parts of the rules and ignore the bits they can't be bothered with, or delete the template all together.

This has led to threads being hidden, threads being deleted, members not taking kindly to their threads being removed, more than a few heated arguments, staff getting browned off with the same exhaustive frustrating nonsense day in and day out and just generally serving to increase an already huge workload for the staff who already give up countless hours of their free time to keep UKSC running for everyone.

So, this left a few options. Either the For Sale section would be locked down to paid members only, or we would install some new software to force the appropriate generation of threads, or we would adopt the TGTT staff-approval of threads approach. Restricting it to paid members wouldn't really solve anything, and the software costs more money and needs renewed which also costs more money.

So, from now on, all new threads in the Parts for Sale section will need staff approval before they can be seen on the forum. What this means is that, if you don't follow the template, if you delete the template, if you don't state a price, or if you don't post pictures, your thread simply will not be approved and will never appear on the forum. Only threads that meet all of the criteria that have been at the top of the Classifieds section for the past number of years will be approved.

This will eliminate half the work load for mods having to review, then either request the ad is fixed or simply hide the thread, and then revisit it to delete it.

Please be aware that this may mean that it could take a number of hours for your thread to become visible depending on when staff log in as staff can't cover the forum 24 hours a day.

For those that have always followed the rules for selling that are now going to be inconvenienced, I am properly sorry for this hassle when you sell items now, however the entire admin team feel that there is no other choice.

Cheers,

Phil.

Still amazes me people see a nicely laid out template, right there for them to make it easier for themselves and the person that will be reading it...

Choose to delete it and then type a poorly laid out advert...

wtf! Now people that have always followed the rules are inconvienced! :(

Sorry folks but needs must!

The only one i ever missed out was the extra info because i didnt need it on most adds etc but i know see that has been took off now so happy days :)

Good idear lads this should of been put in place along time ago :)

maybe a stupid question, but once the thread has been approved, will you be able to add comments etc like any other thread? or will all these have to be approved by staff aswell?

the only reason i ask is because some sections of the classifieds on tgtt sometimes say that comments have to be approved before they appear :(

maybe a stupid question, but once the thread has been approved, will you be able to add comments etc like any other thread? or will all these have to be approved by staff aswell?

the only reason i ask is because some sections of the classifieds on tgtt sometimes say that comments have to be approved before they appear :(

Only Topics have to be approved... Replies go straight in!

This sounds more then fair, civiclife has run like this for a while and it runs smoothly over there. Maybe worth appointing a few extra "Approval Mods" to check to reduce timescales and only give them this job. Saves inconveniencing the people who do follow the rules. Just an idea.

thanks for the support all, glad to see it has gone down quite well.

we really didn't want to have to introduce this but the number of threads mods were having to deal with was just getting stupid.

there are usually a few of the staff not too far away, the worst anyone would have to wait is maybe a saturday afternoon to a sunday afternoon, but can't see that happening too often.

if it does start to become a problem i will look for a few helping hands.

cheers all!

Phil.