Due to be getting my car back in the next month or so and am hoping it will produce a nice amount of power which in turn (as you know) has a tendancy to shred the standard gears :(

With that in mind, the only option would be to go for a dog box, I have rang quaife about the possiblity of them building me one to fit inside the oem casing and am waiting for them to get back to me but are there any other options out there? I have heard of maybe a zisco box but thats it.

How much would I be looking at for this kind of thing?

Zisco is the realistic option tbh. but also for years and years lads have run 300-400hp on oem boxes its realy not to much of an issue if its a good strong box! Dog box is a serious outlay and not realy suited to a road car tbh. id expect costs to be 2500-3k+ for a dog box. and i doubt its realy needed for your set up unless your aiming to drag/launch the car alot.

A e series gearbox is a gearbox, all the same strength with all the same parts new ones last longer but thats it.....imo you have to factor in things like

-driving style, drive it like you stole it with over 250bhp and it aint going to last

-mounts + bracing of the engine and gearbox...worn mounts can SERIOUSLY affect the gearbox and im talking from experience hence id never buy used mounts its poly or new trd with additional bracing

-gearbox oil, use the best you can buy

As above get a zisco gearset or make a endplate and some driveshafts utilising a different box with similar ratios

dog boxes are really noisey too which is pointless in a street driven car

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would bump this back up, I've been in contact with a company that makes straight cut dog boxes for direct starlet C series gearbox fitment. And may I add at a very very good price.

Everything is cnc cut and will take between 3-4 weeks to manufacture plus 7-10 days shipping to the UK. Various gear ratio's can also be used at no extra cost.

I've been told this kit will handle upto 600bhp with no problems at all, and is even run on cars with larger engine capacities and it also comes with a warranty. What the warranty entails I do not know at this point but I can find out if people are interested.

I do not know if this is the kit that zisco do or not as I have not been in contact with zisco themselves over this, but from an actual manufacturing company.

Now for pricing...

For one complete straight cut dogbox, complete in housing, assembled and shipped is £2050 roughly depending on exchange rate. This is for one single unit, if people are interested I can enquire about a group buy price?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................this sounds awesome to me :D glad you bumpd it back up mate!

who may I ask is the company in question? just so as that I can check them out!

More info regarding the warranty would be good aswel dude aswell as knowing wether you will be fine to open the box up and put an LSD inside, or will this not be needed?

I will get back to them and ask about what the warranty covers, the length of warranty etc.

I can also confirm that you will be able to place an aftermarket LSD unit housed into the stock gearbox casing, so this means you are able to fit your TRD, Cusco, Quaife, KAAZ etc aftermarket LSD with this gear kit.

Ok so I have had a reply back.

Regarding LSD's, this kit comes with their own made diff, although other brands can be used easily enough.

Their own branded LSD is of a plated type and I've been told its as good as any other aftermarket diff on sale today. I have also enquired about if the LSD can be removed from the kit to make things cheaper.

Warranty side of things covers:

Stripping and shredding gears

Breaking shafts

Partial cover on the dog engagement, this means that improper driving could causes premature wear on the dog clutches and warranty will not cover this. Also any fitment of aftermarket sequential shifters without first measuring to ensure it will work with this kit will not be covered.

The good side is that if you are hardcore, they can offer a sequential shifter to work with this dogbox, the price for this shifter is £1015 (depending on exchange rate), the other good news is if you wanted both the dogbox and sequential shifter a 15% discount can be applied.

I believe that a dogbox can be used on the road, and is just the same as changing to an aftermarket clutch, you as the driver have to change your driving style to suit the application. Check out PPgearbox (PPG) website and they have a few videos on driving their dogboxes, although for a PPG gearbox you are looking at £5000.

If anyone has any question please post them and I shall get them sent over, they are very good at communicating and should have a reply very swiftly.

Adam

Right here is a quote direct from manufacture...

"

I checked I have 5 in stock from which 2 are sold, to be assembled tomorrow and Tuesday. These kits sell fast, because they're well made and the price is good. Im a bit in panic mode as they'll be out of stock for a while, the metal shipment got stuck in an Italian shipping warehouse, as they closed a whole month for ferragosto.

I promise you that the gearkit will outlive your car ! I do recommend though after 5 years to change the bearings, as per manufacturer instructions. They're heavy duty bearings, but still bearings.

They are a dream to drive, easy shifting, no struggling whatsoever, could hold very low mph in traffic camshafts permitting, reverse easy too. Of course it's a dogbox, so it's not as silent as the syncro, but it's music for enthusuast's ears. "

Now he is willing to sell the remaining 3 kits at a discounted 10% price, who would be willing for this?

Sacha I will pm you.

Right there a few options to have and I shall list below.

Kit A Straight cut dogbox + LSD = 2420 Euro (Kit comes un-assembled)

Kit B Straight cut dogbox + LSD + Assembly = 2520 Euro

Kit C Straight cut dogbox = 2000 Euro ( NO LSD and un-assembled)

Kit D Straight cut dogbox + Assembly = 2350 Euro ( NO LSD )

Sequential Shifter = 1280 Euro

So with a group buy and 10% discount it becomes:

Kit A = 2178 Euro

Kit B = 2268 Euro

Kit C = 1800 Euro

Kit D = 2115 Euro

A discount of 15% can be applied if the sequential shifter + one of the kits above are purchased

Pleas also note that delivery is NOT included in these prices, but I do know that postage to the UK is 128 Euro, for other countries I can find out.

There are 3 kits available at this price, of which I will be having one. So there are two kits available at these prices. It will be possible to get these kits at a later date but they will NOT be available at these prices.

If I can get a list going for these then I shall have a clearer picture.

1. AdamB

for fuck sake!!! lol, I would buy one now but my car isnt finished yet so I have no idea what kinda outlay I will have to pay off :( so would be a bit stupid to buy one of these and not have the funds left for my build! lol

i'm in...

1. AdamB

2. wickedEP (kit C, no LSD)

can you confirm Quaife LSD can be used mate? thanks

sacha

Kit D plus shifter but would like more info and pictures also I have quife diff so is that going to be a prob do I need too ship it out to the company ?

Sorry for the late replies guys, I have had a very hectic day.

Sacha I can confirm aftermarket LSD can be used with this kit.

Gee, assembly means that the complete gearkit is in the gearbox casing, so all you have to do is bolt the gearbox on the engine. You can keep the diff and just place it in the box once you recieve, or if you would like you can ship the LSD to them, although this will add to the lead time of you getting the package. So probably a wiser choice is to fit the LSD yourself, or get a local tuner/mechanic to fit.

Here are some pictures I have, I do not have any of the shifter, but will try and get some and post asap.

What info would you like Gee?

Straightcutdogbox.jpg

Gearkitinbox.jpg

The last pic is of how the gearbox is once it has been chemically cleaned with no paint.

Sacha I will reply to your pm now.