How to: Fix the non-existant main beam dash light with HID's

After asking on here, and not getting anywhere, and emailing various HID companies who either couldn't help or didn't reply, I decided to find a fix for this myself after constantly forgetting my full beams were on.

The fix is pretty straightforward, and just requires a 40A 12V Single pole normally open relay(which can be bought from Maplins among other places), some heatshrink tubing, a female spade connector, and a piece of wire.

12e638f6.jpg

Firstly you need to jump 30 with 86 on the relay, so take the wire and crimp the spade connector onto it, then clip this into 30 before bending the connector down flat, this will enable the relay to fit the headlamp plug.

88d1d03f.jpg

You can then heatshrink over this connection to insulate it.

Next you can strip the other end of the wire and loop it round to 87, it may seem a bodge but i just threaded the wire through the hole in the connector and then wrapped it around itself, before heatshrinking.(I did this over soldering or using connectors as it means it will still plug into the cars headlamp plug.

67b17c49.jpg

Once you've done this its time to plug the relay in, its plugged into the drivers headlamp plug which should now be unused as your hid kit just uses the one, hence the problem with the missing dash light. You just need to take a little plastic off the cars headlamp plug to get the relay to plug in, I used some snips but you can use a knife, dremel, whatever:

c0066f41.jpg

I then looped a cable tie through the back of the relay and round the headlamp plug just to ensure they stay together, but this is optional really.

And now, we have a working full beam indicator:

13714b70.jpg

LEGEND! been scratching my head about this for while. easy fix as well :D

Haha, same, pissed me off no end, so glad to finally have it sorted :) let me kno if it works for you.

My hid's use both plugs :)

And I assume your light works? If so it proves the theory of the car needing both looms plugged in, as the tin relay HID kits seem to work and if I plugged a bulb into mine it worked also lol

Haha, same, pissed me off no end, so glad to finally have it sorted :) let me kno if it works for you.

going back to normal bulbs for the time being (couldn't see well at night with the 8000k's), but when i put the kit back in with whiter bulbs will be doing this.

Let

Me know how it goes, I did notice the other day however I blew the fuse after having the relay fotted a few daysfor the left hand headlamp, replaced it with a 15 over a 10 tho as maybe the lack of bulb is just tripping it, or will I need some kInd of resistor?

Pain in the arse isn't it, it may need some tweaking as I say mine was fine for quite a while, then a really short quick flash to someone and it popped the fuse so i tried a 15 in case its just tripping it, ill see how this one goes